Registry key for associating NTP with IE

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2003
      Will someone please share with me the registry key(s) with which NoteTab Pro is associated with IE6 to "view source".

      Thanks!

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...
    • Jason Waugh
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20, 2003
        Hi Mike,

        MH> Will someone please share with me the registry key(s) with which
        MH> NoteTab Pro is associated with IE6 to "view source".

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

        make a new key called "View Source Editor"

        right click, make another key called "Editor Name" (literally Editor
        Name, not the name of the editor you want to use.....)

        modify the "Default Value" of this new key to be the path to the
        NoteTab executable.

        So you should end up with a key:

        HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
        Name with a default value pointing to NoteTab.

        *NOTE this key may exist already, although it is not likely. If it
        does exist, just modify the value there is no need to create a new
        key.

        Jason Waugh
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 20, 2003
          Jason:

          Good tip ... but ... rather than using the "normal" Notetab Pro I want to
          pass the following parameter string which opens Ntb using a different INI
          file. When I try to add parameters at the end I get this message:
          ---------------------------
          C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /NS /INI=NoteProWork
          /INST=NoteProWork
          ---------------------------
          Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /NS
          /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork' (or one of its components). Make sure
          the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
          available.
          ---------------------------
          OK
          ---------------------------
          I tried various combinations of quotes: around the file-spec, around the
          whole string etc, but nothing seems to prevent the file-not-found error
          except putting just the raw file-spec in.

          Note: this is the target of the shortcut I normally use to invoke Notetab
          with NoteProWork.ini.

          Can anyone figure out a way around this? (I'm using Win2K)

          Regards ... Alec

          >> Will someone please share with me the registry key(s) with which
          >> NoteTab Pro is associated with IE6 to "view source".
          >
          > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
          >
          > make a new key called "View Source Editor"
          >
          > right click, make another key called "Editor Name" (literally Editor
          > Name, not the name of the editor you want to use.....)
          >
          > modify the "Default Value" of this new key to be the path to the
          > NoteTab executable.
          >
          > So you should end up with a key:
          >
          > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
          > Name with a default value pointing to NoteTab.
          >

          > *NOTE this key may exist already, although it is not likely. If it
          > does exist, just modify the value there is no need to create a new
          > key.
        • Mike H
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
            From: "Jason Waugh" <jwaugh26@...>

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > MH> Will someone please share with me the registry key(s) with which
            > MH> NoteTab Pro is associated with IE6 to "view source".

            > (... ... ....)

            > So you should end up with a key:
            >
            > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
            > Name with a default value pointing to NoteTab.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            > Jason Waugh

            I did as you suggested, Jason, but when I clicked on 'view source' I was rewarded with a message box that informed me that IE could
            not find 'notepro.exe', even though I used cut'n'paste to enter the complete path into the new key. When I cleared this message box
            I was rewarded with another which informed that notepad could not be found.

            I poked around with regedit a bit more -- and I found an existing key similar to the one you suggested:

            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...

            with the default value of "none". I changed this to the path to NotePro.exe, deleted your key and closed regedit.

            When I restarted IE and tried to view source all worked fine.

            I ran regedit again and checked the edited key. I found subkeys and values under ...\Default HTML Editor as follows:

            \Default HTML Editor (default) "C:\ProgramFiles\NoteTabPro\NotePro.exe"
            (description) "NoteTab Pro"

            \shell (default) value not set

            \edit (default) "&edit"

            \command (default) "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe""%1"

            (I suppose that will line-wrap for many of you; sorry.)

            (The entries were quoted as above.)

            This works fine for now, so I won't tinker further until it won't work any more. Thanks for the help in any case. I really do
            appreciate it.

            Mike Hopkins
            ironmike@...
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
              Hi Mike,

              >Will someone please share with me the registry key(s) with which
              >NoteTab Pro is associated with IE6 to "view source".

              There i a Clip for it in Utilities, NoteTab Shortcuts.

              Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

              http://www.notetab.net
            • Mike H
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
                > Good tip ... but ... rather than using the "normal" Notetab Pro I want to
                > pass the following parameter string which opens Ntb using a different INI
                > file. When I try to add parameters at the end I get this message:
                > ---------------------------
                > C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /NS /INI=NoteProWork
                > /INST=NoteProWork
                > ---------------------------

                Alec:

                Try adding a subkey named 'command' with a default value of your command string 'C:\... /INST etc'

                I don' know if it will work, but it seems to me that the command subkey should be seperate from the path (i.e. "Default HTML
                Editor") subkey, as it was in the example I found last night.

                HTH

                Mike H
                ironmike@...
              • Jason Waugh
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
                  Hi Mike,

                  MH> I did as you suggested, Jason, but when I clicked on 'view source' I was rewarded with a message box that informed me that IE could
                  MH> not find 'notepro.exe', even though I used cut'n'paste to enter the complete path into the new key. When I cleared this message box

                  Works great for me, the only difference is I didn't use the path as
                  cut and pasted, I used the short names version.
                  e:\progra~1\noteta~1\notepro.exe - no quotes and no parameters and
                  especially no spaces (tried that and got an error like yours)!!!

                  MH> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...

                  Found that key too, and was never able to get that to work for
                  "view...source". All that did was make NoteTab the default when I
                  clicked the little "edit page" button in the toolbar in IE... not when
                  using View...Source.

                  If what you did is working for you though, then that's a bonus!

                  Jason Waugh
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
                    Mike, (Jason)

                    > Try adding a subkey named 'command' with a default value of your
                    > command string 'C:\... /INST etc'

                    I thought this was *sure* to work but it seems to ignore the command string.

                    Here's the *working* Default Html Editor (using WinWord and more
                    complicated)

                    ---
                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit]
                    @="&Edit"

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit\command]
                    @="\"C:\\ProgFileMSFT\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde"
                    "command"=hex(7):28,66,27,5e,56,6e,2d,7d,66,28,59,52,5d,65,41,52,36,2e,6a,69
                    ,\

                    57,4f,52,44,46,69,6c,65,73,3e,4c,26,72,66,55,6d,57,2e,63,47,2e,65,25,66,49,\
                    34,47,7d,6a,64,20,2f,6e,20,2f,64,64,65,00,00

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec]
                    @="[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen(\"%1\")]"

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Application]
                    @="WinWord"

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Topic]
                    @="System"
                    ---

                    I first tried this - it opens Notetab but ignores the command parameters
                    ---
                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\Editor Name]
                    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\""

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\Editor Name\Command]
                    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
                    /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
                    ---

                    I tried emulating the:
                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
                    Editor\shell\edit] - but this one just complains that it can't find "&Edit"
                    ----
                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\Editor Name]
                    @="&Edit"

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\Editor Name\Command]
                    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
                    /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
                    ----

                    Finally I tried to use [... shell ...] but this was totally ignored and
                    using View Source just opened it in Notepad.
                    ---
                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\shell]

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\shell\Editor Name]
                    @="&Edit"

                    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
                    Editor\shell\Editor Name\Command]
                    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\\\" /NS
                    /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
                    ---

                    Any more suggestions (I hope)?

                    Regards ... Alec
                    > > Good tip ... but ... rather than using the "normal" Notetab Pro I want
                    > > pass the following parameter string which opens Ntb using a different
                    INI
                    > > file. When I try to add parameters at the end I get this message:
                    > > ---------------------------
                    > > C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /NS /INI=NoteProWork
                    > > /INST=NoteProWork
                    > > ---------------------------
                    >

                    > Alec:
                    >
                    > Try adding a subkey named 'command' with a default value of your command
                    string 'C:\... /INST etc'

                    > I don' know if it will work, but it seems to me that the command subkey
                    should be seperate from the path (i.e. "Default HTML
                    > Editor") subkey, as it was in the example I found last night.
                    >
                    > HTH
                    >
                    > Mike H
                    > ironmike@...

                  • Alan C.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
                      Hi Alec,

                      >Any more suggestions (I hope)?

                      (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with

                      d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two

                      which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini

                      And then I referenced that .bat file from within the registry. It opens the correct NoteTab and ini but it does not get the source to view in the editor (too bad). (but, source does views for me when an exe is referenced) Evidently it (registry) must refer to an exe, not a .bat file.

                      Unless someone comes up with something that works, if you really want to view source from a different ini Notetab then it looks to me two possibilities:

                      1. that the 2nd NoteTab will need to be installed into a different directory than the other or first NoteTab (so as to eliminate optional ini commandline switch).

                      2. Or, have you considered swapping ini's? That is, make your normal NoteTab startup with using the optional ini commandline switch. Then, when want view source, refer it to the other NoteTab that uses NotePro.ini so that an optional ini switch is not needed on the command line.

                      --
                      Regards. Alan.
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
                        Alan, (Jason, Mike)
                        Eureka! Your suggestion about the bat file led me to something that worked.

                        I replaced the <file-spec> pointing to the actual execuatable with one that
                        pointed to a shortcut whose target contains the desired parameters.

                        so the key now contains:

                        "C:\AlecStuff\Alec Toolbars\NtbWork.lnk" where NtbWork target="C:\Program
                        Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork

                        Regards ... Alec
                        > (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with
                        >
                        > d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two
                        >
                        > which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini
                        <snip>
                      • Mike H
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
                          From: "Jason Waugh" <jwaugh26@...>

                          > MH> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...
                          >
                          > Found that key too, and was never able to get that to work for
                          > "view...source". All that did was make NoteTab the default when I
                          > clicked the little "edit page" button in the toolbar in IE... not when
                          > using View...Source.
                          >
                          > If what you did is working for you though, then that's a bonus!

                          Jason;
                          When you tried the above key, did you delete the

                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-... key?

                          The presence of two keys may cause a conflict.... Also, I do not have the "edit page" button on my toolbar -- I "customized" it off
                          because I don't use it.

                          I think that Saturday I may do some experimentation -- after backing up the registry!

                          BTW, Windows (and hence the registry) isn't supposed to recognize '.bat' files is it -- they are DOS files afterall -- but Alec's
                          idea of pointing the registry to a '.lnk' shortcut file that holds the same information is great. Thanks, Alec!
                        • Grant MacKenzie
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
                            Hi
                            It's a while ago since I did these are the reghacks I use.
                            There a link some where on MSDN were I originally sourced this stuff.
                            Normal reg hacking rules apply, backup first etc
                            Normal check for long line wrapping in your email client warning applies.

                            H=IE_EDIT
                            ;IE Default to notetab as View Source editor
                            ;^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                            Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name
                            ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View
                            Source Editor\Editor Name="^$GetAppFileName$"
                            ;
                            ;This recreates the edit button in ie5+. Clears out Notepad Replace with
                            Notetab
                            ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                            Explorer\Default HTML Editor
                            ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                            Explorer\Default HTML Editor\shell\edit=^$GetAppFileName$
                            ;
                            ;SHELL COMMANDS
                            ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList
                            ^!SaveRegValue
                            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\NoteTabPro\shell\edit\command=^$GetAppFi
                            leName$ %1 REG_EXPAND_SZ
                            ;Creates a Right click option to "Open with NoteTabpro" from explorer
                            ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro=Open with &NoteTabPro
                            ^!SaveRegValue
                            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro\Command=^$GetAppFileName$ %1
                            ^!INFO Done