Search Engine: Add a Page

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2003
      Hi All,

      I have not submitted any pages to search engines in years. It
      use to be there was always a "add a page" or "submit..." at the
      bottom of the search engines and it was for free. Man what a
      shock I had when I went to submit. I noticed that AltaVista
      allowed five freebies and then said if they are accepted it would
      take 4-6 weeks. Are any of the others for free and what's your
      advise on listing a few pages if that's all they allow for free.
      The prices that I saw were way out of my league. I don't see how
      anybody could add personal websites at those outrageous prices. :(

      Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

      http://www.notetab.net
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
        Hi Jody,

        > I have not submitted any pages to search engines in years. It
        > use to be there was always a "add a page" or "submit..." at the
        > bottom of the search engines and it was for free. Man what a
        > shock I had when I went to submit.

        The best place I know for general advice on this is on the Search Engine
        Watch site:
        http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/index.html
        Yes, if you've got a highly commercially oriented site, you might need to
        pay, even pay for "advanced" information at Search Engine Watch, but...

        I have found that if you follow the guidance given there and are prepared to
        just wait up to six weeks or so Google will come along and find you and then
        you'll trickle through to everywhere else that matters.

        Greg
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
          Hi Greg,

          >I have found that if you follow the guidance given there and are
          >prepared to just wait up to six weeks or so Google will come
          >along and find you and then you'll trickle through to everywhere
          >else that matters.

          Are you saying that the search engines do their own additions
          with bots and eventually they add all the sites? So, sort of
          like Alta Vista was outrageous in their add 500 links and it is
          done in two days vs add 5 manually for free and it takes 4-6
          weeks? Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

          Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

          http://www.notetab.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
            > I noticed that AltaVista allowed five freebies and then said if they are
            > accepted it would
            >take 4-6 weeks.

            No, it says "Add or remove up to 5 URLs _at_ a_time_"

            > Are any of the others for free

            All 'real' engines are free AFAIK.

            Lotta
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
              I use SiteAdd.com. They hit all the search engines and it's also free.
              I've used them forever, and the addition is usually within 24 hours!

              I also use Andale.com for counters, in case you're interested. They were
              initially set up for auction people, but if you delve deeply enough, you'll
              find the area to create counters for other thing. It's kind of cool. You
              can set them to be invisible to anyone but you, too, which I like.

              Christine
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
                Hi Lotta and All,

                >> I noticed that AltaVista allowed five freebies and then said if
                >> they are accepted it would take 4-6 weeks.
                >
                >No, it says "Add or remove up to 5 URLs _at_ a_time_"
                >
                >> Are any of the others for free
                >
                >All 'real' engines are free AFAIK.

                Yes, that is what it said come to think of it. I guess the gig
                bucks part is if you want to do hundreds and get "Express
                Service" so to speak. Thanks. I feel a bit better now. So, not
                it is a matter of finding each ones hidden place to Add or
                Submit. I did not see them easily like Google, Go.com
                (InfoSeek), WebCrawler... I saw one that it appeared they wanted
                you to register, but then did not mention if that was needed to
                Add.

                So... does anybody have a "cheat sheet" they use to Add or get to
                the pages to Add to the most popular?

                Just saw your post Christine (SiteAdd.com). I've seen that in
                the past, perhaps that is an easy way to get started. Opinions
                please?

                > Andale.com...You can set them to be invisible to anyone but
                > you, too, which I like.

                Yes, I might look into the invisible ones. I think my domains
                will be having a stat thing soon though with all the bells and
                whistles.

                Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

                http://www.notetab.net
              • John Zeman <john041650@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14, 2003
                  Hi Jody,

                  I gather that you are looking for free methods of registering with search engines so this may not be what you're looking for.. However if you are willing to spend $70, here is the link to the Addweb program I use that I've been very happy with.

                  http://www.cyberspacehq.com/products/addweb/home.shtm

                  Once you get each site set up with it, just push a button and go get yourself a cup of coffee while it does all the registering for you.. As far as how well Addweb works, well since I've been using it the hits and ranking of my sites have dramatically improved.

                  John