Re: [NH] Re: compare two pages

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hugo said>>>
      Look in the Utilities Clipbook Library - Under Text Processing there
      is a clip "Compare Two Files".<<<<<

      This utility seems to give up too easily if the files are not nearly
      identical. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

      Norton SystemWorks 2002 has a file compare utility that works under Win98, but
      that identical version of SystemWorks omits file compare when it is loaded
      onto a WinXP box. I suppose the FC can't handle the NTFS file structure.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
        Hi Ray,

        >Hugo said>>>
        >Look in the Utilities Clipbook Library - Under Text Processing there
        >is a clip "Compare Two Files".<<<<<
        >
        >This utility seems to give up too easily if the files are not nearly
        >identical. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

        Check out ExamDiff on the download page under "Text Processing Resources"
        section. You'll find a link to its Web site and a Clipbook library to use
        it from NoteTab. All for free:

        http://www.notetab.com/download.htm

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
          Hi Eric,

          You said>>>
          Check out ExamDiff on the download page under "Text Processing Resources"
          section.<<<<<

          I downloaded it, and it is, indeed, well suited for comparing files. I used
          it to compare two files in the NTPro\Dictionaries folder called "Original Copy
          of Default.udt" dated 8/26/2002 and "Default.udt" dated 1/30/2003.

          The older file is larger than the newer one. For example, the "Original"
          contains 238 entries versus 184 for the newer one. Some words in the
          "Original" not included in the newer one are>>>

          AutoReplace
          bitmaps
          bookmark

          Please confirm that the "missing" words in the newer file are not there
          because they are now incorporated into the standard dictionary in the
          "American.dct" file.

          Thanks for taking the time to read these User Groups and for responding to my
          query.

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3 2:10 AM
            Hi Ray,

            >You said>>>
            >Check out ExamDiff on the download page under "Text Processing Resources"
            >section.<<<<<
            >
            >I downloaded it, and it is, indeed, well suited for comparing files. I used
            >it to compare two files in the NTPro\Dictionaries folder called "Original Copy
            >of Default.udt" dated 8/26/2002 and "Default.udt" dated 1/30/2003.
            >
            >The older file is larger than the newer one. For example, the "Original"
            >contains 238 entries versus 184 for the newer one. Some words in the
            >"Original" not included in the newer one are>>>

            "Default.udt" hasn't been updated since 8/26/2002. Normally, it is only
            installed if you haven't already got the file in the NoteTab installation
            directory.

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes