Re: [NH] PNG -- good idea or otherwise

  • Peter Steeper
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 28, 2003
      Hi Fay and Group,

      The guys are right. I forgot to mention that GIFs use indexed colour and support a maximum of 256 colours. Since images of dialog boxes have a limited range of colours GIFs are a great format for this purpose. Because of the way JPEGs are compressed you can get splotchy looking images of logos and line art such as the dialog box images on your web site..

      I checked your web site and experimented with one of the images. "select_stationery_box.jpg"
      As a JPEG the file size is 38,050 bytes. As a GIF the size is 30,819 and 30,032 as a PNG-8.
      I would use the GIF format as it is well suited to the type of graphics you are using on your web site and you won't have to worry about compatibility and it is smaller than the JPEGs.

      -Peter