[NH] Re: Execute Executable

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      >Anybody know how to launch a program from a web page in regular
      >HTML (not SSI or the like) with a click?

      A Java Applet would be the only way, I think. For all I know, Browsers
      are strictly forbidden to start executables on their host-machine. (For
      obvious good reasons.) So the one way is to run a program on the server
      that holds the HTML - that would mean CGI or SSI or the like - and the
      other is to run a Java Applet - because this is running inside the
      Browser, and it's restricted in some ways, that is a somewhat secure way
      and allowed therefore - if the user wants so.

      If the task in question is not to complex, one could also try to code it
      in JavaScript directly into the HTML page.

      Hope this remarks are correct. Any other of you out there who know
      another way?

      Stefan
      ---
      elssner@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2000
        Hi Stefan,

        >> Anybody know how to launch a program from a web page in
        >> regular HTML (not SSI or the like) with a click?
        >
        > A Java Applet would be the only way, I think. For all I know,
        > Browsers are strictly forbidden to start executables on their
        > host-machine. (For obvious good reasons.) So the one way is to
        > run a program on the server that holds the HTML - that would
        > mean CGI or SSI or the like...

        Thanks! ISP time. ;)

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Ian Ornstein
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2000
          > Anybody know how to launch a program from a web page in regular
          > HTML (not SSI or the like) with a click?
          >

          > Jody,

          Launching desktop programs from HTML would violate the security model.
          One work arround is to create an ActiveX control (IE only).

          Launching Sever based programs is possible via ASP or cgi.
          HTH

          - IanO -
        • William K. Hardeman
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2000
            Jody,

            It's also possible to launch server based programs from Cold Fusion, JSP and PHP scripts.
            Basically, if you have a server-side scripting language available to you, you can launch server
            based programs.

            As Ian said, being able to launch desktop programs violates the security model, and even using
            ActiveX controls (only on IE) is frowned upon if you don't warn the user exactly what's happening
            somewhere if you're going to be reading things about their machine or making any changes. You
            also would want to have your ActiveX controls signed as being trusted (by a 3rd party Certificate
            organization, I think), so that your users don't get the message popping up that an unsigned and
            untrusted ActiveX control is attempting to run.

            The only way to get a client side program to run on multiple client types is through Java applets,
            as Stefan said. Here again, you have the security model to contend with.

            What it is you want to accomplish?

            Will

            On 5 Mar 00, at 8:47, Ian Ornstein said:

            > > Anybody know how to launch a program from a web page in regular
            > > HTML (not SSI or the like) with a click?
            > >

            > > Jody,
            >
            > Launching desktop programs from HTML would violate the security model.
            > One work arround is to create an ActiveX control (IE only).
            >
            > Launching Sever based programs is possible via ASP or cgi.
            > HTH
            >
            > - IanO -

            Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant
            intelligence. (Henrik Tikkanen)

            The closest distance between two people is a good laugh. - Leo Bascalia
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2000
              Hi William & Ian,

              > It's also possible to launch server based programs from Cold
              > Fusion, JSP and PHP scripts.
              >
              > What it is you want to accomplish?

              I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Basically I
              wanted to open say Mini-NoteTab from a web page and only wanted
              to do it if it could be done easily like just link to the .exe.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
              mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
            • Tobias Weber
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2000
                On 5 Mar 00, at 22:12, Jody wrote:

                > I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Basically I
                > wanted to open say Mini-NoteTab from a web page and only wanted
                > to do it if it could be done easily like just link to the .exe.

                If you had said that earlier..nobody would have had to throw around
                with complicated server based stuff ;)

                For web authors it is indeed impossible to *force* the client to
                execute sth as insecure as exes.

                But on opening a hyperlink to an exe at least IE asks whether to
                download the thing or "Extecute from there", which simply means
                to download it into it's cache and execute it from there.

                --
                Tobias Weber
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2000
                  Hi Tobias,

                  >> I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Basically I
                  >> wanted to open say Mini-NoteTab from a web page and only
                  >> wanted to do it if it could be done easily like just link to
                  >> the .exe.
                  >
                  > If you had said that earlier..nobody would have had to throw
                  > around with complicated server based stuff ;)

                  Thanks Tobias, but I knew that. I tried to simplify it too much
                  in the above statement. I do not want the program download to
                  their computer. So, their replies were right on the money. I
                  had already looked it up myself and found that SSI would probably
                  do what I wanted, but just wanted to know if there was an easier
                  way. It was all mostly just a thought anyway and I did not
                  expect a lot of time to be put into it. Thanks a lot for all
                  your replies.

                  Bye for now,
                  Jody Adair
                  Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                  http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                  http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2000
                    On 7 Mar 00, at 17:39, Jody wrote:

                    > If you had said that earlier..nobody would have had to throw > around
                    > with complicated server based stuff ;)
                    >
                    > Thanks Tobias, but I knew that. I tried to simplify it too much

                    Uh oh, made a fool of myself again ;-)

                    --
                    Tobias Weber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2000
                      Hi Tobias,

                      >> Thanks Tobias, but I knew that. I tried to simplify it too much
                      >
                      > Uh oh, made a fool of myself again ;-)

                      Nah, too much mail to check every detail out. Or should I say
                      that's my excuse. <g>