Word Doc on the Web

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
      Hi All,

      A club member sent the bylaws in a Word document with "Track Changes"
      included. Additions, changes, and deletions are shown in distinctive colors
      along with the original text in black. I want to upload the file to the club
      website with all the tracking info still visible, but when I upload the file,
      all of the changes are incorporated into the document. It's as if I had
      clicked on "Accept Changes" before I did the upload. The purpose of showing
      all the tracking info is to allow the Exec Committee to see the proposed
      revisions before their meeting.

      Can you tell me how to upload the Word file with all the tracking info still
      visible?

      I tried Save as HTML before uploading, but that also incorporates all the
      proposed revisions and deletes the tracking info before saving the document.

      I'm using Word 97 on a Win98 machine, and I upload using FTP.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
        Hi Ray,

        > Can you tell me how to upload the Word file with all the tracking
        > info still
        > visible?

        Well, you could just to upload the WORD *.DOC file direct to your web space,
        and provided all your committee members use Internet Explorer and have WORD,
        or a WORD viewer available they should be able to read it as if it was a
        WORD document on their local machine, in the same way that PDF files can be
        made to appear within an Internet Explorer window, complete with all the
        Acrobat Reader toolbar buttons.

        If you want to see an example of uploaded WORD 2000 (should also be loadable
        in 97) documents visit:

        http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk/tutors.htm#download

        In spite of the advice at this link, you can simply click the links and view
        them within the browser, but be prepared for a long wait as the files are
        considerably bigger than a typical web page.

        Greg Chapman
        http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk
        Help, Handouts and Guidance for OCR's New CLAIT course
      • Don Crossman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
          Maybe a dumb question, but did you upload the *.doc file in BINARY mode? I
          do this all the time with race results for a ski racing site I administer.
          (Of course, I also send HTML and PDF versions.) I have never worked with
          "track changes," but in IE, the Word documents open right up.

          -- Don Crossman

          > A club member sent the bylaws in a Word document with "Track Changes"
          > included. Additions, changes, and deletions are shown in distinctive
          colors
          > along with the original text in black. I want to upload the file to the
          club
          > website with all the tracking info still visible, but when I upload the
          file,
          > all of the changes are incorporated into the document. It's as if I had
          > clicked on "Accept Changes" before I did the upload. The purpose of
          showing
          > all the tracking info is to allow the Exec Committee to see the proposed
          > revisions before their meeting.
          >
          > Can you tell me how to upload the Word file with all the tracking info
          still
          > visible?
          >
          > I tried Save as HTML before uploading, but that also incorporates all the
          > proposed revisions and deletes the tracking info before saving the
          document.

          > I'm using Word 97 on a Win98 machine, and I upload using FTP.
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          >

          > Ray Shapp
          > Watchung, NJ

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
            Hi Don

            >>Maybe a dumb question, but did you upload the *.doc file in BINARY
            mode?<<<<<

            Not such a dumb question -- I'm the dummy here because I wasn't aware of
            binary mode until you raised the question. After a little searching, I found
            binary mode in my FTP client. I just did a test upload, and it works exactly
            as desired. Thanks for the relevant advice.

            Thanks also to Greg who gave me the link to Clait Help.

            Regards,

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
              Hi Ray,

              > Thanks also to Greg who gave me the link to Clait Help.

              No trouble!

              But re-reading your message, I think I answered the wrong question!

              Greg