Re: [NH] 2 instances of the Browser

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2003
      Hi albert,

      I don't know off hand, but please let us know how you have IE
      configured (like the default browser) and do you have an entry
      for it in Main Browser, View Other Browser, Custom Launch, etc.
      I assume that your NH below means NoteTab.

      >Does anyone have any idea why NH opens two instances of Internet
      >Explorer Browser rather than 1 when I click the button to open it?

      www.notetab.net, www.clean-funnies.com

      Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

    • albert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2003
        I use Note Tab Pro and have only one IE configured for the View button on
        the toolbar. The internal browser is set for IE but is a separate button
        from the View button as you know.

        It is when I click on the large View one that two instances of IE open.

        I looked through the options settings and when I look at Internet, only one
        browser is configured.

        I wonder if I should get an up to date copy of Note Tab Pro and re-install
        it and see if that solves the problem.

        I own at least two registered copies and they are both under my name.

        Let me know where I can download a new version from that will allow me to
        re-install the program if you think that I should do so. Thanks

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2003
          Hi Albert,

          If you install the latest version to a different location, you
          can always uninstall it if something fails and still have the
          version you are currently running. If you have a backup copy of
          the Setup file for the older versions, you can pretty much safely
          install right over your current version. If something does not
          work out, you can install your older version then. More...

          >I use Note Tab Pro and have only one IE configured for the View
          >button on the toolbar. The internal browser is set for IE but is
          >a separate button from the View button as you know.

          I don't know what you mean by "internal browser" and "View
          button"? Hold your mouse over the View icon and see if it says
          "View in Browser". That is the Main Browser tool in Options |
          Internet which I believe you are referring to as "View." If you
          mean IE is your default browser (the one that opens when you
          click on links from various programs or an HTML file in Windows
          Explorer (or My Computer), then try taking out the path to it in
          Options | Internet | Main Browser. Nevertheless, I would
          reinstall at least your current version, but recommend that you
          upgrade to v4.91 or v4.92 (beta, but not a trial version).

          http://www.notetab.com/download.htm
          <http://www.fookes.net/ftp/wrapper/ntp492wp.exe>http://www.fookes.net/ftp<http://www.fookes.net/ftp/wrapper/ntp492wp.exe>/wrapper/ntp491wp.exe

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2003
            Jody,

            Thank you for your help. You are an absolute wonder. I sometimes ask myself
            where you find the time to answer all those questions and still have time
            for yourself. Your assistance is greatly appreciated by me and I am sure by
            many others. Thank you.

            I downloaded the Note Tab Pro with wrapper version 4.92 and then installed
            it in a different directory on a different hard drive just to be on the safe
            side.

            The NT Pro installed perfectly after I guided the wrapper install to the
            other directory where the exe of the previous version was.

            IE (the browser) is no longer opening twice and the new version works just
            fine so after moving the dictionary and thesaurus files to the new
            directory, and moving my work product files over as well, I uninstalled the
            older version (4.86) and everything is working just fine.

            I have another question: when I run the spell checker, and tell it to add
            words to the dictionary, it does not seem to do so as the next time I open
            the document it still does not recognize those words. Where I am going
            wrong?

            Thanks again for all your help

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2003
              Hi Albert,

              >Thank you for your help.

              You are most welcome!

              > ...and everything is working just fine.

              :-)

              >I have another question: when I run the spell checker, and tell
              >it to add words to the dictionary, it does not seem to do so as
              >the next time I open the document it still does not recognize
              >those words. Where I am going wrong?

              There is a configuration problem most likely. Close NoteTab and
              delete Spell.cfg hound in its main folder, I think. <g> Here's
              the short of it. Start NoteTab and run the Spell-checker. You
              should be prompted to configure it at which time do so.

              And, here is the long version should you run into problems. Do
              note below about the dictionaries to configure.

              You need to properly install dictionaries before you can use the
              Spell Checker and thesaurus. The following is how to install and
              use the American English dictionaries and thesaurus. Download and
              install the following installation program by clicking on
              "dicts.exe" after downloading it. All the dictionaries and the
              thesaurus go into NoteTab's Dictionaries folder.

              Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus (size 1,394
              KB; updated 8 May 2000) http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

              The following files should be installed to NoteTab's Dictionaries
              folder:
              English.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.dct)
              AmerAdd.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\AmerAdd.dct)
              English.thr (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.thr)

              The end result in the Spell Checker configuration (View | Spell
              Checker Options...) window should be the following. Make sure the
              boxes are checked.

              Base English v2.01
              American Add-on v2.01

              To use the Spell Checker simply load a document and press the
              Spell Check button. To use the thesaurus simply press F12 or
              click on Tools | Thesaurus.

              If you still have problems, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg
              found in its main folder. Start NoteTab and run the Spell
              Checker. When you are asked to configure the Spell Checker, do so
              at that time.

              Please press Help in the Spell Checker at any time it is open for
              more details and/or also press Options in the same dialog to set
              some options. You may also get to the same information from View
              | Spell Checker Options...

              Installing other dictionaries will be similar although they come
              in a compressed zip file. Additional dictionaries are located at
              our dictionaries page and do not have an installation program.
              Extract them into the Dictionaries folder and use the Add button
              in View | Spell-checker Options... to get them configured.
              http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

              Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

              http://www.notetab.net
            • Ron Woodall
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2003
                Hi All:

                I'm trying to put together the background information for XHTML et
                al and have put together several tables that outline their relationships. I
                would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to review them and provide
                me your comments. I'm trying to put together an organized hierarchy so that
                readers can easily see how everything relates.

                They are located at:
                http://www.htmlcompendium.org/XML+derivatives.htm.

                Thanks for your help.

                Ron Woodall

                ---------------------------------------
                Ron Woodall
                nor@...

                The Compendium of HTML Elements

                - available at/disponible à:
              • Ron Woodall
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2003
                  Hi All:

                  Sorry about that, this was sent under the wrong subject line.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2003
                    Jody,

                    Thanks for the solution. That worked just fine. I really do appreciate all
                    the help.

                    Albert