search and replace

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Please, I'm trying to go through a document and replace all the double
      quotes with “ and ”
      It seemed to me that ^& meant "any text".
      I thought that if I wrote "^&" in the find box and “^&” in the
      replace box I'd be right.
      I was wrong.
      I don't understand about regular expressions or anything like that. I just
      have to do things parrot fashion.
      Sorry to be so dumb, but would someone tell me how to do this, please?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi Fay!

        >Please, I'm trying to go through a document and replace all the double
        >quotes with “ and ”
        >It seemed to me that ^& meant "any text".
        >I thought that if I wrote "^&" in the find box and “^&” in the
        >replace box I'd be right.
        >I was wrong.
        >I don't understand about regular expressions or anything like that. I just
        >have to do things parrot fashion.
        >Sorry to be so dumb, but would someone tell me how to do this, please?

        First, you don't want to use "“" and "”". The characters in the
        range from "" through "Ÿ" are all invalid (some Windows mumbo
        jumbo). You want "“" for an opening curly double quote and "”"
        for a closing one.

        I don't know RegExp either but it's hardly needed. I do this:

        FIND: [ "]
        REPLACE: [ “]

        FIND: [" ]
        REPLACE: [” ]

        That is, "type" a space as usual (with the spacebar) followed by a quote in
        the Find box and in the Replace box you type a space followed by the
        character code for an opening curly. For the closing curly you place the
        space after the quote instead. All assuming you don't use curly quotes in
        the middle of words. ;-)

        <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/>

        Lotta
      • Fay