RE: XSLT vs PHP (was: [NH] What's So Great About XHTML?)

  • Grant Mackenzie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2002
      > I've recently started studying PHP, is there any reasonable reason to
      > combine PHP and XSLT or are they exclusive? From what I've understood
      > XSLT is almost a programming language but compared to PHP it's very
      > limited. A search at php.net reveals that PHP has very comprehensive
      > XML-parsing functions, so I think I should just keep learning PHP and
      > forget XSLT?

      XSLT is a core XML technology designed to transforming XML conforming
      documents into HTML, XML or text.
      DOM is a interace exposing node objects also allowing you to manipulate XML
      or HTML documents.

      Both are pretty much essential to learn if you play with XML.

      PHP is one scripting language among many that can instantiate a XML parser
      and use either DOM or XSLT to alter XML conforming documents.

      I think WROX has written one of their door-stoper books on using PHP with
      XML which you might want to check out.

      a note on XHTML;
      XHTML is XML conforming so you can use either the DOM or XSLT to alter
      XHTML documents.