Mailto: Links don't work

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      I recently discovered a ultra small Japanese e-mail client, nPOP. The
      executable download is just a 84kb for Win32 in English, somewhat more for
      WinCE and PocketPC. French and Japanese language versions are also
      available.

      nPOP allows external viewers and editors, so I use NoteTab, of course! :-)

      The author's English Language page is at
      http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html. In spite of my lack of C
      programming and Japanese language skills, I decided to start a support site
      for it at http://www.npopsupport.fsworld.co.uk

      One of the first questions I have received is:

      > I have just installed nPOP and seems like a great
      > program but I have one problem and that is with maillink on a
      > website (you know, mailto:ibm@com) it starts nPOP but it includes
      > "mailto:" in the mailadress and that is not a valid mailadress, any clue ?

      I haven't!

      Looking at my own Windows registry I see that there are branches under:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
      which include a reference to "mailto", but my knowledge is also lacking in
      this area.

      I assume that, in order to get his browser to respond to mail links at all,
      the questioner has made some entries in this area. What might be missing?
      Or is it that the nPOP author has something more fundamentally missing in
      his program?

      If there's any Japanese speakers out there, who wouldn't mind translating a
      bit of "Japlish" and Japanese for me, or C programmers who don't mind
      browsing through some source code (It's only a 372kb download! ) then I'd
      love to hear from you!

      Greg