Re: [NH] Binary vs ASCII WAS: web site issue

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi Kerry,

      You FTP client may have an options named "Auto" in the same place
      you have Binary and ASCII. I leave mine checked as auto and have
      never had a problem with it.

      >I have a question regarding ftping -- what about midi files? Do
      >you send them ASCII or binary? I have sent them either way and
      >they work as far as I know, but I don't know about on other
      >people's computers.

      www.notetab.net, www.clean-funnies.com

      Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

    • kerry@GilaMountainDulcimers.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
        Thanks! But I was told one time not to use the "Auto" because it
        can mess up. I don't know why or whatfor, but I just never have used
        it. I guess if it works for you then it is okay.
        Thanks again for your time!
        ((((((hugs))))))
        Kerry Anderson, New Mexico
        Amazing Dulcimers!
        http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Books, CDs, Festivals, Dulcimer Clubs, Links

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/CBxunD/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/CefplB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Mike H
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
          ASCII is code for characters, so I would think that MIDI files should be sent as binary. Does your FTP program have auto as a
          choice? I know WS_FTP does, and I would suspect that anything other than text gets changed automatically to binary.

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
            Yes, it has Auto. I usually send them binary, but I wasn't sure. I
            have sent them ASCII also and either way they seemed to work. I just
            wasn't real sure about if they came through on other computers also or
            just mine. I have no way to check. Thanks!!