Re: [NH] RE: web site issue

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2002
      Joe:

      One of the most common mistakes in using an FTP program to upload website files is to try to send graphics files in ASCII mode.
      Graphics must be sent in binary mode. Could that be your problem?

      HTH

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...

      <><><><><><><><><><><><
    • kerry@GilaMountainDulcimers.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2002
        Mike,
        I have a question regarding ftping -- what about midi files? Do you
        send them ASCII or binary? I have sent them either way and they work as
        far as I know, but I don't know about on other people's computers.
        Thanks!
        ((((((hugs))))))
        Kerry Anderson, New Mexico
        Amazing Dulcimers!
        http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Books, CDs, Festivals, Dulcimer Clubs, Links

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • kerry@GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2002
          JSB,
          When you loaded your files with ftp, did you put your graphics in
          the same folder or a separage folder? If they are in a separate folder,
          you have to create a folder in ftp and put them in it just like on your
          computer.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2002
            At 01:22 2002.12.01, kerry@... wrote:

            > I have a question regarding ftping -- what about midi files? Do you
            >send them ASCII or binary? I have sent them either way and they work as
            >far as I know, but I don't know about on other people's computers.

            Binary. Everything is binary except plain text files like html, js, css and
            so on.

            Lotta
          • kerry@GilaMountainDulcimers.com

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
                Hi Kerry,

                You FTP client may have an options named "Auto" in the same place
                you have Binary and ASCII. I leave mine checked as auto and have
                never had a problem with it.

                >I have a question regarding ftping -- what about midi files? Do
                >you send them ASCII or binary? I have sent them either way and
                >they work as far as I know, but I don't know about on other
                >people's computers.

                www.notetab.net, www.clean-funnies.com

                Happy HTML'n and Tab'n!

              • kerry@GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
                  Thanks! But I was told one time not to use the "Auto" because it
                  can mess up. I don't know why or whatfor, but I just never have used
                  it. I guess if it works for you then it is okay.
                  Thanks again for your time!

                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
                    ASCII is code for characters, so I would think that MIDI files should be sent as binary. Does your FTP program have auto as a
                    choice? I know WS_FTP does, and I would suspect that anything other than text gets changed automatically to binary.

                    Mike Hopkins
                    ironmike@...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
                      Yes, it has Auto. I usually send them binary, but I wasn't sure. I
                      have sent them ASCII also and either way they seemed to work. I just
                      wasn't real sure about if they came through on other computers also or
                      just mine. I have no way to check. Thanks!!