creating a web template

  • Jim Ruby
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
      Hello,

      My name is Jim Ruby and I have been a long time notetab user. I do use ntp to create my html pages and would like to create a template so my pages can have
      streem line content.

      I am not sure how to go about this. I use the latest version of ntp.
      1. I press escape to bring up the html choices
      2. I then choose new template
      3. a file opens up, I am not sure what to do from here.
      I would like to have edit boxes popup where i fill in the information just like when you create a new web page.

      title
      description
      keywords
      paragraph
      links
      footer

      Is this what this template option is for or am I missing the boat?

      Thanks.

      Jim Ruby
      On-line Access Technology Trainer
      jim@...
      Blind Sea
      http://www.blindsea.com
      (651) 385-0702
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
        Hi Jim,

        >I am not sure how to go about this. I use the latest version of ntp.
        >1. I press escape to bring up the html choices
        >2. I then choose new template
        >3. a file opens up, I am not sure what to do from here.

        I think you'd need to edit, add code to that file so as to make the file be a template, a new template that you created then assigned file name to it and save it to disk. And then, under the file > template > open

        you'd then also see your new template as an additional one of the template files to choose from.

        (next is some methods to look at template coding)

        on menu: file > template > open

        select the sample template and open it.

        Another method: 1. click file new button so as to have a new, empty text document. 2. On menu choose Document > insert file 3. browse to NoteTab templates folder choose the html.tpl file for insertion into the empty text document

        My for example/instance here is so that now you can view the coding of a template, html.tpl

        Also there's the template editor: file > template > edit

        select and open a template file to look at or edit. Be careful, any saved changes remain that way.

        I've only experimented a little with templates.

        Alternatively, it might be possible to use a clipping or "clip" to paste a boilerplate into a doc.

        --
        Alan.
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
          Hi Jim,

          I use templates every day to create my html documents. To create
          one, from NoteTab's menu select File/Template/New

          In the new file that NoteTab creates you should see a line like this
          at the top:

          = DocTemplate "NoName%0.2d.html"

          Ignore that line and put what you want for your template below it.
          What follows is one of my HTML templates. I purposely do not have it
          fill in everything you want (such as keywords) as I prefer to add
          them later.. It also uses a couple basic NoteTab clip commands to
          put the cursor at the top of the body section after creating the new
          file.

          John

          ;-------------------------------

          <head>
          <title>^?[Enter Web Page Title]</title>

          </head>

          <a name="top"></a>

          ;If not already there, go to the beginning of the document
          ^!Jump DOC_START
          ^!Find <body>
          ^!Jump +2

          --- In ntb-html@y..., "Jim Ruby" <jim@b...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > My name is Jim Ruby and I have been a long time notetab user. I do
          use ntp to create my html pages and would like to create a template
          so my pages can have
          > streem line content.
          >
          > I am not sure how to go about this. I use the latest version of ntp.
          > 1. I press escape to bring up the html choices
          > 2. I then choose new template
          > 3. a file opens up, I am not sure what to do from here.
          > I would like to have edit boxes popup where i fill in the
          information just like when you create a new web page.

          > title
          > description
          > keywords
          > paragraph
          > links
          > footer
          >
          > Is this what this template option is for or am I missing the boat?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jim Ruby
          > On-line Access Technology Trainer
          > jim@b...
          > Blind Sea
          > http://www.blindsea.com
          > (651) 385-0702
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
            Jim:

            Reading between the lines, I think you were thinking that the "template"
            feature is more than it is?
            If I understand correctly (and it may well be obvious from Alan's
            response (in which case - forget I butted in ;-)

            If you are going to repetively create new HTML pages that are the same
            except for particular "fill-in-the-blanks" places:

            If you create your template with something like "xxxxxxxx" at each place
            where you expect to have to make changes, and then use the Find looking
            for "xxxxxxxx" it will step you through the whole document stopping at
            each spot, so you can just type in (or otherwise cut/paste etc) the
            replacement for what will be selected.

            I think you said you were a "newbie" - as a first cut, I suspect this
            will get you pretty close to what you need. If you find the time to get
            some facillity with the clip language, you could make a clip that gets
            as elaborate as you want in terms of processing each "fill-in-the-blank"

            Regards ... Alec
            --
            -------------------------

            On Thu, 28-Nov-2002 01:26 [GMT+500 EST], Alan C. <acumming@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Jim,
            >
            >> I am not sure how to go about this. I use the latest version of ntp.
            >> 1. I press escape to bring up the html choices
            >> 2. I then choose new template
            >> 3. a file opens up, I am not sure what to do from here.
            >
            > I think you'd need to edit, add code to that file so as to make the
            > file be a template, a new template that you created then assigned
            > file name to it and save it to disk. And then, under the file >
            > template > open

            <snip> .....

            > you'd then also see your new template as an additional one of the
            > template files to choose from.
            >
            > (next is some methods to look at template coding)
            >
            > on menu: file > template > open
            >
            > select the sample template and open it.
            >
            > Another method: 1. click file new button so as to have a new, empty
            > text document. 2. On menu choose Document > insert file 3. browse to
            > NoteTab templates folder choose the html.tpl file for insertion into
            > the empty text document
            >
            > My for example/instance here is so that now you can view the coding
            > of a template, html.tpl
            >
            > Also there's the template editor: file > template > edit
            >
            > select and open a template file to look at or edit. Be careful, any
            > saved changes remain that way.
            >
            > I've only experimented a little with templates.
            >
            > Alternatively, it might be possible to use a clipping or "clip" to
            > paste a boilerplate into a doc.
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
              That's exactly how I moved through it. As I learned more about clipping, I
              have refined my template/clips. I still have weirdnesses, but I'll work
              through it with this list! <LOL>

              Christine

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
                join the clips list
                set up your template as you indicate
                then create a clip to load a variable say xxxx1, xxxx2 etc. and then drop
                those into the template and you are off to the races ... which is what the
                create html page template/clip does in notetab
                you will just be asking different questions