Re: SUMMARY: [NH] Re: Viewing and Copying Source

  • Ron Woodall
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2002
      Hi Lotta:

      Thanks for the input.

      At 08:45 PM 11/23/02 +0100, you wrote:
      >At 12:33 2002.11.23, Ron Woodall wrote:
      > >Then I started going down one subdirectory at a time testing as I went.
      > >Well, I
      > >got down two sub-directories below root and it stopped working. I
      > >remembered a bug that early copies (3+) of MSIE had where there was a limit
      > >to the number of characters that could be in a link string.
      >
      >Ron, I remember reading about that IE6 doesn't accept as long URLs as
      >previous versions, which has made many bookmarklets useless in that
      >browser. It's still more than 500 characters though so it shouldn't matter
      >for this. If you don't use really long directory names... ;-)

      This is outside the parameters of the published limits in MSIE.
      This is a carryover from DOS restrictions much earlier. There is some code
      that was written that is seldom used in MSIE where the limit is something
      like 64 characters or possibly less. I have notes on it in the Compendium
      but I haven't been able to figure out what to search for or where I put
      that little bit of information. In short, this is a bug inside MSIE that's
      been carried over from MSIE 3.

      >I don't remember where I have got this from but AFAIK it's correct.
      >
      >IE6 508 characters
      >IE 2083 (all earlier?)
      >NN4 1848
      >Moz >2000
      >Opera 4061

      Thanks. I'll flag this for future use. Thanks for the input.

      Ron Woodall

      Ron Woodall
      nor@...

      The Compendium of HTML Elements