Re: [NH] Probably a faq

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2002
      Hi Margaret,

      >>>I enjoy receiving these mails and <<<<<<
      >>>they are taking up am enormous amount of disc space.<<<<

      My solution is to use the Outline feature in NTP (see New Outline on the File
      menu, and also see Outline documents in Help).

      I have placed an outline in each of several of the folders where I keep many
      of the files that interest me such as astronomy, programming, finances,
      NoteTab hints, etc. Whenever I read an item worthy of keeping, I add a
      heading (or append to an existing heading) in the relevant outline file. In
      one such outline, I have accumulated over 250 headings during the past two
      years . That entire outline file consumes only half a megabyte of storage.

      If you follow this suggestion, you may also want to right-click on the
      headings pane in your outlines and checkmark the Sort Headings preference.
      Also, note that you can place "hyperlinks" from one heading to other(s) merely
      by enclosing the linked-to heading(s) within square brackets. For example, in
      one of my outlines, I have entries for Spherical Geometry and Plane Geometry.
      Within each of those entries, at appropriate places, I have included lines
      like, "See also [Spherical Geometry]" and "See also [Plane Geometry]".

      This feature allows me to keep related info in just one file. I also have
      added the outline files to my Favorites within NoteTab, and, therefore, this
      info is very easily accessible without going online.

      HTH,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ