Page Title re: Gail

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2002
      seems to be some disagreement (at least in my mind) about what she meant
      when she was asking about the "title" of her page. Various responses have
      been made which included information on the HEAD use of title and the title
      appearing on the page itself.

      I emailed Gail off-list last night about this and would like to share what I
      sent to her.

      ** --Title -- There are really two "titles" The first one is in the HEAD
      area of a page (the area at the top between the <.HEAD> and </HEAD> tags.)
      This title is the one that will appear on the frame of the browser when a
      viewer looks at the site. It appears in the far upper left corner. You
      cannot affect this with anything. Whatever is between the TITLE tags will
      show up, even if nothing is there or you remove the tags.

      The second title is the one that appears at the top of your actual
      page. It is usually called a heading and HTML supplies tags just for
      headings -- the <.Hx> tags. There are six different H tags, H1 through H6,
      with H1 usually being the largest headings and H6 the smallest with a
      gradual progression in between. These tags can be affected in akll the ways
      text can be -- size, color, font face, etc.
      ***

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...