[NH] Re: Dear Martha

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
      Hi Martha,

      > The bride's list worked great! Thanks! I did get the file
      > to sort by date but it is not an numerical date.

      Oops! Forgive my stupidity. It would involve yet more work
      because of the way you have your dates. I can do it, but don't
      know when I can get to it.

      When you reply, please snip off the parts of the post not needed
      to understand your reply. In the case of this post you could
      have deleted everything except a few lines where I mentioned you
      could sort by date. It is doing what the script told it to, but
      by the month because that is what came first. If you were to
      switch it around to say year, month, day then it would sort the
      way you would want it.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Charles A. Brannon
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
        martha hambrick harrell <mharrel-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=332
        > Jody,
        >
        > The bride's list worked great! Thanks!

        > > Your page located at...
        > >
        > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arprairi/Marriages/OrigMarr.htm

        As this is unasked for opionion IM(!H)O, take it or leave it as you see
        fit. Here's a few pieces of my mind (ew!) on this whole thread and the
        subject that started it:

        1) This page looks good! I find geneological data to be very
        interesting and a valuable resource (when one can find the right
        information).

        2) This page loads *very* slowly. Several obvious reasons would be
        a) It is *huge*. But you knew that; it's the nature of this data,
        eh?
        b) My connection, which is through a *56k* modem at home, only
        runs at
        about 31.2 kbps (how fast is every one else?), and
        c) Neither NNN nor IE will render this table as written until it
        is
        fully loaded.
        I would suggest the following solutions
        a) Divide the table. Each piece can be cut and pasted into a new
        page
        along with the original header and footer from the parent page.
        b) Actually you can't make *my* connection faster, but maybe you
        *can*
        find a faster server, though. I would guess that this is
        probably out
        of the question.
        c) I seem to recall certain advice I was given about table tags
        whereby
        one could specify the number of columns and rows early and
        allow at
        least *partial* loading as the user waits. I can't seem to
        reference
        it now (but I would like to see a response on this from the
        group).
        Are you in the habit of acting on third-hand fuzzy advice?
        ;^)

        3) Being able to sort before upload is a good thing. It allows for more
        creativity by the designer, but sometime the user just plain wants
        to see
        something else! Why not make your whole table sortable by the user?
        See
        <http://builder.cnet.com/Programming/Scripter/112999> for a great
        explanation of this powerful method. If you have been programming
        longer
        than a week, you will probably understand this otherwise
        easy-to-steal
        procedure. <OT> The integration of this code in my clipbook is on my
        500-item to do list. (So far I 've completed *one* this decade ;^)
        </OT>

        4) The more those around me converse with humility, the less useful
        advice
        gets doled out, so I tend to *try* and write directly and with
        authority.
        I hope this above is helpful and unoffensive. BTW, would you please
        trim
        the original article to the parts you directly addressing? Please see
        note 2b above about my *slooow* connection.

        -- C.B.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
          Hi Charles,

          > c) I seem to recall certain advice I was given about table tags
          > whereby one could specify the number of columns and rows early
          > and allow at least *partial* loading as the user waits. I can't
          > seem to reference it now (but I would like to see a response on
          > this from the group).

          I think this is different than what you are saying, but Mark
          Pulvar does not add the ending tags until the end of the table
          and says that tables load faster like that. It will fail
          validation tests of course and some people just like to have
          everything "per the book" so if that is the case, then this
          suggestion does no good. I do remember the thread though you are
          speaking of and I might have it. If so, I will post it
          separately.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
            "charles a. brannon" <cabranno-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=335
            > martha hambrick harrell <mharrel-@...> wrote:
            > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=332
            > > Jody,
            > >
            > > The bride's list worked great! Thanks!

            <apparently random-line-noise deleted>

            Stop me if you have heard this one before.
            Delete this if your not interested in a personal testimonial.

            This may sound wierd to those who cut their PC teeth on brain-dead word
            processors and other software that "does it all", but I for one prefer
            a text editor because it allows me to produce the kind of monstrosity
            that you see in my previous message. I know it looks ugly, but *now* I
            know to hard-wrap at 70 chars instead of 80. (who knew?) I thought I
            was being pretty slick by doing the hand formatting, and I would still
            say as much is eGroups did not filter (alter) the messages that go
            through its system. The point was to get the message across, not to
            impress anybody, so I must grudgingly accept that this was *my* fault
            and not eGroups for not just letting the word-wrap features of NoteTab
            and eGroups do their respective things. Oh, well. If you are interested
            in my overlong message about Martha's site and improving tables, I will
            send it to anybody who wants it, with soft wraps on, of course.

            -- C.B.
            personal responses to: cabrannon AT soon DOT com