[NH] Dear Martha

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
      Martha my Dear, ;)

      Your page located at...

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~arprairi/Marriages/OrigMarr.htm

      ...can be reordered and sorted by woman or date now using the
      clip below.

      (Anybody can do this if you grab her web page. I know there are
      some of you on this list that have similar pages and perhaps you
      can modify the clip to make it work for you.)

      To run it, open OrigMarr.htm in NoteTab and click on the clip. A
      new file will be made called OrigMarr-tmp.htm, saved in the same
      folder as OrigMarr.htm, and launched in a browser. If you are
      happy with the results, rename it to whatever you want, add links
      to wherever, and upload. OH, before you upload, you will need to
      manually reorder the column stuff: Groom, Bride, and Date. Do
      you think you can handle that? <g>

      I suggest you move the link to get to this to the top of your...

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~arprairi/Marriages/OrigMarrIntro.htm

      ...page or perhaps in the middle of the paragraphs, because it
      almost looks like a web-ring icon at the bottom. I'm sure
      visitors miss it.

      There are two long lines in the script below. Make sure they do
      not get hard line breaks in them in the mail. The easiest way to
      check is right click over the clip and choose "Edit Clip..."
      scroll down to where you see the ^!Append lines. Press Ctrl+W to
      turn Word Wrap off. If you do not see any black text, part of
      your table source, then it is ok. If you do, place your cursor
      in front of the line that is black text and hit your backspace
      key or whatever you use to delete the character in front of the
      cursor. One of the ^!Appends, the date one to be exact, has a
      semi-colon in front of it. That tells NoteTab to ignore that
      line. It is like <!-- in HTML -->, a comment. Just reverse it
      with the other Append if you want to reorder & sort by date
      instead of Bride the way it is setup now.

      Follow the instructions that the clip is wrapped in and you
      should not have any problems.

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      Martha's Tables (ReOrder & Sort)
      ^!ClearVariable %List%
      ^!Set %Temp%=^#; %File%=^##
      ^!Toolbar New Document
      ^!InsertFile ^%File%
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!SetHintInfo Reformatting...
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

      :Loop
      ^!Find " <TD ALIGN="left">" S
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Set %Start1%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Find "</TD>" S
      ^!Jump Select_Start
      ^!SelectTo ^%Start1%
      ^!Toolbar Cut
      ^!Set %Man%=^$GetClipboard$
      ^!DeleteLine
      ^!Find " <TD ALIGN="left">" S
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Set %Start2%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Find "</TD>" S
      ^!Jump Select_Start
      ^!SelectTo ^%Start2%
      ^!Toolbar Cut
      ^!Set %Lady%=^$GetClipboard$
      ^!DeleteLine
      ^!Find " <TD ALIGN="center">" S
      ^!IfError Sort
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Set %Start3%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Find "</TD>" S
      ^!Jump Select_Start
      ^!SelectTo ^%Start3%
      ^!Toolbar Cut
      ^!Set %Date%=^$GetClipboard$
      ^!DeleteLine

      ; reorders by woman, very long line (Add semi-colon if date used)
      ^!Append %List%=<TR> <TD ALIGN="left">^%Lady%</TD> <TD ALIGN="left">^%Man%</TD> <TD ALIGN="center">^%Date%</TD>^%nl%
      ; reorders by date, very long line (Remove semi-colon for date order)
      ;^!Append %List%=<TR> <TD ALIGN="center">^%Date%</TD> <TD ALIGN="left">^%Man%</TD> <TD ALIGN="left">^%Lady%</TD>^%nl%
      ^!Goto Loop

      :Sort
      ^!Set %List%=^$StrSort("^%List%";1;1;0)$
      ^!Set %List%=^$StrReplace("</TD>^%nl%";"</TD>";"^%List%";1;1)$
      ^!Jump 1

      ^!SetHintInfo Reformatting...
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

      ^!SetListDelimiter <TR>
      ^!SetArray %List%=^%List%
      ^!Set %Count%=1

      :ArraryLoop
      ^!Inc %Count%
      ^!Find "<TR>" S
      ^!IfError Reformat
      ^!InsertText <TR>^%nl%^%List^%Count%%
      ^!Goto ArraryLoop

      :Reformat
      ^!Replace "</TD> <TD ALIGN" >> "</TD>^%nl% <TD ALIGN" WAS
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!Save:As ^%Temp%-tmp.htm
      ^!Keyboard F8

      <--- Copy above this line, right --->
      <--- click over a Library, and --->
      <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
        Hi All,

        I forgot to put an H= in front of the clip name below. Either
        paste the clip in NoteTab and add it like below or do it said but
        delete the heading from within the clip editor [Clips]. You will
        see two if you have headers showing, only delete one then.

        Should have been:

        <--- Copy below this line --->
        H=Martha's Tables (ReOrder & Sort)
        ^!ClearVariable %List%

        nite...

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Martha Hambrick Harrell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
          Jody,

          The bride's list worked great! Thanks! I did get the file to sort by date but it is not an numerical date. It should
          come up with July 1894 and end October 1943. It now comes up with December 01, 1898 first and ends with March 31, 1930.
          There must be one more code that I do not have. Something I can just insert in the clip?

          Thank you!

          Martha

        • Martha Hambrick Harrell
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
            Sorry, my fingers hit the wrong keys. The ending date should be October 1932 not 1943.

            Martha

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
              Hi Martha,

              > The bride's list worked great! Thanks! I did get the file
              > to sort by date but it is not an numerical date.

              Oops! Forgive my stupidity. It would involve yet more work
              because of the way you have your dates. I can do it, but don't
              know when I can get to it.

              When you reply, please snip off the parts of the post not needed
              to understand your reply. In the case of this post you could
              have deleted everything except a few lines where I mentioned you
              could sort by date. It is doing what the script told it to, but
              by the month because that is what came first. If you were to
              switch it around to say year, month, day then it would sort the
              way you would want it.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Charles A. Brannon
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
                martha hambrick harrell <mharrel-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=332
                > Jody,
                >
                > The bride's list worked great! Thanks!

                > > Your page located at...
                > >
                > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~arprairi/Marriages/OrigMarr.htm

                As this is unasked for opionion IM(!H)O, take it or leave it as you see
                fit. Here's a few pieces of my mind (ew!) on this whole thread and the
                subject that started it:

                1) This page looks good! I find geneological data to be very
                interesting and a valuable resource (when one can find the right
                information).

                2) This page loads *very* slowly. Several obvious reasons would be
                a) It is *huge*. But you knew that; it's the nature of this data,
                eh?
                b) My connection, which is through a *56k* modem at home, only
                runs at
                about 31.2 kbps (how fast is every one else?), and
                c) Neither NNN nor IE will render this table as written until it
                is
                fully loaded.
                I would suggest the following solutions
                a) Divide the table. Each piece can be cut and pasted into a new
                page
                along with the original header and footer from the parent page.
                b) Actually you can't make *my* connection faster, but maybe you
                *can*
                find a faster server, though. I would guess that this is
                probably out
                of the question.
                c) I seem to recall certain advice I was given about table tags
                whereby
                one could specify the number of columns and rows early and
                allow at
                least *partial* loading as the user waits. I can't seem to
                reference
                it now (but I would like to see a response on this from the
                group).
                Are you in the habit of acting on third-hand fuzzy advice?
                ;^)

                3) Being able to sort before upload is a good thing. It allows for more
                creativity by the designer, but sometime the user just plain wants
                to see
                something else! Why not make your whole table sortable by the user?
                See
                <http://builder.cnet.com/Programming/Scripter/112999> for a great
                explanation of this powerful method. If you have been programming
                longer
                than a week, you will probably understand this otherwise
                easy-to-steal
                procedure. <OT> The integration of this code in my clipbook is on my
                500-item to do list. (So far I 've completed *one* this decade ;^)
                </OT>

                4) The more those around me converse with humility, the less useful
                advice
                gets doled out, so I tend to *try* and write directly and with
                authority.
                I hope this above is helpful and unoffensive. BTW, would you please
                trim
                the original article to the parts you directly addressing? Please see
                note 2b above about my *slooow* connection.

                -- C.B.
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
                  Hi Charles,

                  > c) I seem to recall certain advice I was given about table tags
                  > whereby one could specify the number of columns and rows early
                  > and allow at least *partial* loading as the user waits. I can't
                  > seem to reference it now (but I would like to see a response on
                  > this from the group).

                  I think this is different than what you are saying, but Mark
                  Pulvar does not add the ending tags until the end of the table
                  and says that tables load faster like that. It will fail
                  validation tests of course and some people just like to have
                  everything "per the book" so if that is the case, then this
                  suggestion does no good. I do remember the thread though you are
                  speaking of and I might have it. If so, I will post it
                  separately.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 18, 2000
                    "charles a. brannon" <cabranno-@...> wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=335
                    > martha hambrick harrell <mharrel-@...> wrote:
                    > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=332
                    > > Jody,
                    > >
                    > > The bride's list worked great! Thanks!

                    <apparently random-line-noise deleted>

                    Stop me if you have heard this one before.
                    Delete this if your not interested in a personal testimonial.

                    This may sound wierd to those who cut their PC teeth on brain-dead word
                    processors and other software that "does it all", but I for one prefer
                    a text editor because it allows me to produce the kind of monstrosity
                    that you see in my previous message. I know it looks ugly, but *now* I
                    know to hard-wrap at 70 chars instead of 80. (who knew?) I thought I
                    was being pretty slick by doing the hand formatting, and I would still
                    say as much is eGroups did not filter (alter) the messages that go
                    through its system. The point was to get the message across, not to
                    impress anybody, so I must grudgingly accept that this was *my* fault
                    and not eGroups for not just letting the word-wrap features of NoteTab
                    and eGroups do their respective things. Oh, well. If you are interested
                    in my overlong message about Martha's site and improving tables, I will
                    send it to anybody who wants it, with soft wraps on, of course.

                    -- C.B.
                    personal responses to: cabrannon AT soon DOT com