Re: [NH] Netscape 6.1 Upgrade?

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      I think that people are actually up to 7 now. Neither 5 nor 6 were hot
      sellers.
      You can get mozilla 7 directly and skip all the netscape add on I understand
      also

      Netscape 7.0 Released (August 2002)
      Netscape Communications has launched Netscape 7.0 the latest version of
      Netscape's browser software, which is based on Mozilla 1.0.1. Mozilla users
      should read the release notes before installing Netscape 7.

      from: http://www.mozilla.org/
      ns 7:
      http://media.aoltimewarner.com/media/press_view.cfm?release_num=55252707

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
        5 and 6.0 were dogs, but 6.1 and later were much,
        much better. As noted by others, Netscape 7 is out
        now, and it's quite good. (It's what I'm using to
        write this message.)

        You do have a choice about what bits you want to
        install, so I'm not sure what hsavage was referring
        to when he said you didn't have a choice. It can be
        a big installation if you install everything. I have
        DSL, so the installation of the full package -- all
        the stuff -- went pretty quickly. The download took
        under ten minutes. I've installed NS7 on at least
        five machines, and in all cases the installation was
        pretty painless, and that was downloading everything
        anew each time. It hsould be noted, however, that
        there appear to be times when their download servers
        hang; maybe that's the cause of the slow times he
        was talking about. I've tried many incarnations of
        Mozilla -- basically every version for the past year
        -- and I don't think it's as stable as Netscape.

        All this said, my primary browser is still Opera.

        Scott