RE: Viewing souce code in browser

  • JSB
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      Group,

      I have been writing html for a new web site and cannot view my work in the
      browser. When I click on the browser icon it shows me the html code. Is
      there a setting I need to change in order to see the finished product?

      Kind regards,
      Joe
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
        Hi Joe,

        How your work brought/arrived into NoteTab can make a difference.

        What happens when you on menu:

        file > template > open > html.tpl > open > ok > ok

        then click the view in browser button

        Alan.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
          I should clarify my findings just a bit more.

          If I either start off with a .htm file extension by opening such a file from disk or use NoteTab's html template to generate the (.htm) file

          what I noticed was that those above two did displayed in browser.

          But if I start off with a .txt file extension empty file and put html code into it then click the show in browser button it's this scenario that for me shows the source code in browser instead of displaying.

          Those made a difference. Perhaps also yet other I've not mentioned can also have/contribute impact.

          >How your work brought/arrived into NoteTab can make a difference.
          >
          >What happens when you on menu:
          >
          >file > template > open > html.tpl > open > ok > ok
          >
          >then click the view in browser button
          >
          >Alan.
        • Mark McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
            Hi Alan

            You must save the file with an .htm or .html
            extension to inform the browser that it is indeed a webpage.

            Cheers

            Mark McLaughlin
            Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
            mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
            www.bestcolorvideo.com/
            www.BCVnet.com Website Hosting & Server Colocation
            " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

          • Mike H
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
              JSB wrote:
              > Group,
              >
              > I have been writing html for a new web site and cannot view my work
              > in the browser. When I click on the browser icon it shows me the html
              > code. Is there a setting I need to change in order to see the
              > finished product?
              >
              > Kind regards,
              > Joe

              Joe,

              For a file to be opened in the browser as a web page that file must have an
              .HTML extension -- NOT a .txt extension.

              Other web extension, such as xhtml, shtml, etc. may also work if they are
              associated with NoteTab in the list of associated file types under the VIEW
              >> OPTIONS >> HTML tab.

              Text files with the .txt extension and other non-HTML files will open in the
              browser but will only show the content of the file in the browser's default
              font and font size.

              HTH!!

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike@...