Re: [NH] Stylesheet Problem

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hello Peter,

      >But I'm having a problem. When I test the site on my machine locally
      >everything displays great in IE and Netscape 7. The results are much
      >better than my past experiences with CSS. When I upload the site to a test
      >directory on the web site, it still looks great in IE but Netscape 7
      >doesn't use the stylesheet.

      >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/

      >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/main.css

      The server you are on isn't configured right. It serves style sheets with
      the wrong content-type and Moz doesn't accept that. The server sends
      "text/plain" and it should be "text/css".

      Tell your host what you think of him but meanwhile you can correct it by
      putting the following line in your .htaccess file:
      AddType text/css .css

      Good luck!
      Lotta
    • Peter Steeper
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
        Thanks Lotta and Grant for the testing that you did and comments.

        I've not been happy with my hosting service for other reasons and this just adds to it. I've been thinking of moving to another host service so that will happen sooner now.

        The standard support fee in Nova Scotia is lobster and rum. Extra rum for amazingly fast response. Drop by if you are ever in the area.

        -Peter
        >But I'm having a problem. When I test the site on my machine locally
        >everything displays great in IE and Netscape 7. The results are much
        >better than my past experiences with CSS. When I upload the site to a test
        >directory on the web site, it still looks great in IE but Netscape 7
        >doesn't use the stylesheet.

        >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/

        >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/main.css

        The server you are on isn't configured right. It serves style sheets with
        the wrong content-type and Moz doesn't accept that. The server sends
        "text/plain" and it should be "text/css".

        Tell your host what you think of him but meanwhile you can correct it by
        putting the following line in your .htaccess file:
        AddType text/css .css

        Good luck!
        Lotta

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Peter Steeper
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
          Lotta you are so right about my hosting service!

          The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
          He told me I was wrong.

          So I did some more investigating. I tried it on my IIS server here at home and it works fine with NS7. The IIS server uses the right content-type of css. So I went to W3C.org and learned more about the content-type spec.

          Everything I've learned so far would indicate you are absolutely right on the css spec and the hosting service.

          I'll let you know the final result.
          This means more lobster for you.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
            At 02:15 2002.11.03, Peter Steeper wrote:
            >The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type
            >problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
            >He told me I was wrong.

            Tell him he is dumb and lazy.

            >So I did some more investigating. I tried it on my IIS server here at home
            >and it works fine with NS7. The IIS server uses the right content-type of
            >css. So I went to W3C.org and learned more about the content-type spec.

            Sorry, I would have provided some URLs if I had known you would need them.
            If you haven't already found it there is even a RFC.
            <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/refs.html#ref-2318>
            Or send the tech guy here:
            <http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/incorrect-mime-types/>

            >Everything I've learned so far would indicate you are absolutely right on
            >the css spec and the hosting service.

            Trust me - it's a known problem. Most servers got it right long ago though.
            It's only the really dumb hosts that still haven't. If you are allowed to
            use a htaccess file that trick works fine if your host continues to be
            stubborn.

            >I'll let you know the final result.
            >This means more lobster for you.

            Be warned that you are talking to a woman that has been deprived of both
            lobster and rum for a long time. Could get expensive. ;-)

            Lotta
          • Peter Steeper
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
              LOL!!!!!

              Thanks for the references. I had found the one but I think the other one is better and describes the problem exactly.

              -Peter
              At 02:15 2002.11.03, Peter Steeper wrote:
              >The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type
              >problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
              >He told me I was wrong.

              Tell him he is dumb and lazy.