Stylesheet Problem

  • Peter Steeper
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello Everyone,
      I'm updating a website.

      I decided this would be a good opportunity to learn more about xhtml and stylesheets. It looks like the result will be much easier to maintain using stylesheets and some automation created with Clips.

      But I'm having a problem. When I test the site on my machine locally everything displays great in IE and Netscape 7. The results are much better than my past experiences with CSS. When I upload the site to a test directory on the web site, it still looks great in IE but Netscape 7 doesn't use the stylesheet.

      I've compared my code to samples on the W3C site but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I've tried both relative and absolute links using the full URL to the stylesheet but it doesn't help. Can anybody see what I've screwed up?

      The test site is located at
      http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/

      The style sheet is:
      http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/main.css

      Thank you for your help.
      Any other comments on the site are also appreciated.

      Peter Steeper
      Webmaster
      www.photoguild.ns.ca

      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

    • Grant Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
        > looks great in IE but Netscape 7 doesn't use the stylesheet.

        Strange indeed.
        Loaded on my ii5 test server and looks fine in both.

        > I've compared my code to samples on the W3C site but I can't see
        > what I'm doing wrong.
        Just one thing I saw
        always specify unit of measurement in css declarations
        margin: 0;
        ought to be
        margin: 0px; or margin: 0em; etc

        >I've tried both relative and absolute links
        > using the full URL to the stylesheet but it doesn't help. Can
        > anybody see what I've screwed up?

        If it relative links work locally then it ought to be ok on the server ,so I
        don't think you have screwed up?,

        Try removing xml proccessing instruction.
        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        and see if any dif. (It's not required and mac browser versions balk)

        As it looks ok on my iis5 test server it could be your host

        Recheck your links

        Then I'd contact your server host

        Grant
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
          Hello Peter,

          >But I'm having a problem. When I test the site on my machine locally
          >everything displays great in IE and Netscape 7. The results are much
          >better than my past experiences with CSS. When I upload the site to a test
          >directory on the web site, it still looks great in IE but Netscape 7
          >doesn't use the stylesheet.

          >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/

          >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/main.css

          The server you are on isn't configured right. It serves style sheets with
          the wrong content-type and Moz doesn't accept that. The server sends
          "text/plain" and it should be "text/css".

          Tell your host what you think of him but meanwhile you can correct it by
          putting the following line in your .htaccess file:
          AddType text/css .css

          Good luck!
          Lotta
        • Peter Steeper
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
            Thanks Lotta and Grant for the testing that you did and comments.

            I've not been happy with my hosting service for other reasons and this just adds to it. I've been thinking of moving to another host service so that will happen sooner now.

            The standard support fee in Nova Scotia is lobster and rum. Extra rum for amazingly fast response. Drop by if you are ever in the area.

            -Peter
            >But I'm having a problem. When I test the site on my machine locally
            >everything displays great in IE and Netscape 7. The results are much
            >better than my past experiences with CSS. When I upload the site to a test
            >directory on the web site, it still looks great in IE but Netscape 7
            >doesn't use the stylesheet.

            >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/

            >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/PGNS/test/main.css

            The server you are on isn't configured right. It serves style sheets with
            the wrong content-type and Moz doesn't accept that. The server sends
            "text/plain" and it should be "text/css".

            Tell your host what you think of him but meanwhile you can correct it by
            putting the following line in your .htaccess file:
            AddType text/css .css

            Good luck!
            Lotta

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Peter Steeper
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
              Lotta you are so right about my hosting service!

              The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
              He told me I was wrong.

              So I did some more investigating. I tried it on my IIS server here at home and it works fine with NS7. The IIS server uses the right content-type of css. So I went to W3C.org and learned more about the content-type spec.

              Everything I've learned so far would indicate you are absolutely right on the css spec and the hosting service.

              I'll let you know the final result.
              This means more lobster for you.

              -Peter

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                At 02:15 2002.11.03, Peter Steeper wrote:
                >The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type
                >problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
                >He told me I was wrong.

                Tell him he is dumb and lazy.

                >So I did some more investigating. I tried it on my IIS server here at home
                >and it works fine with NS7. The IIS server uses the right content-type of
                >css. So I went to W3C.org and learned more about the content-type spec.

                Sorry, I would have provided some URLs if I had known you would need them.
                If you haven't already found it there is even a RFC.
                <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/refs.html#ref-2318>
                Or send the tech guy here:
                <http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/incorrect-mime-types/>

                >Everything I've learned so far would indicate you are absolutely right on
                >the css spec and the hosting service.

                Trust me - it's a known problem. Most servers got it right long ago though.
                It's only the really dumb hosts that still haven't. If you are allowed to
                use a htaccess file that trick works fine if your host continues to be
                stubborn.

                >I'll let you know the final result.
                >This means more lobster for you.

                Be warned that you are talking to a woman that has been deprived of both
                lobster and rum for a long time. Could get expensive. ;-)

                Lotta
              • Peter Steeper
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                  LOL!!!!!

                  Thanks for the references. I had found the one but I think the other one is better and describes the problem exactly.

                  -Peter
                  At 02:15 2002.11.03, Peter Steeper wrote:
                  >The service tech responded quickly when I pointed out the content-type
                  >problem. (The fast response is unsual.)
                  >He told me I was wrong.

                  Tell him he is dumb and lazy.