Re: [NH] RE: HTML Tidy Config File

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 18, 2002
      (Oops, this should have gone to YahooGroups and went to hsavage's private
      mail instead. Sorry about that.)

      Hi hrs,

      >I'll mention it to Eric. He's programming off/on so he
      >might have not been able to read this thread yet or at all.

      Actually, the more I'm programming the less time I spend on e-mail. So if
      I'm quiet, it usually means I'm doing a lot of programming <g>. I'm
      "multitasking" several big projects (including NoteTab 5.0) right now...

      > > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when
      > > there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy or NoteTab that
      > > handles it [or both per NoteTab's optional features.] I can
      > > find out if you want.

      Here's what Help says:

      "HTML Tidy accepts a variety of switches to control the way it processes
      HTML tags. NoteTab will try to determine the best switches based on the
      active document type and the HTML Tag option settings. If you want more
      control over the settings, you can create a configuration file for Tidy,
      which you should save in the NoteTab folder with the name Tidy.cfg (see the
      HTML Tidy instructions for details)."

      The kind of things that NoteTab takes into account is your settings for tag
      case (upper or lower case), whether to use the XHTML format, and whether
      the document is an XML file or not.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • Raleigh Way
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 27, 2002
        Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
        been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
        rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
        tabs for a table like so:

        abc abc abc
        abc abc abc
        abc abc abc

        I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
        and BBE will create all the markup for the table.

        Thanks,

        Raleigh
        --
      • Ron Woodall
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 28, 2002
          Hi Raleigh:

          Take a look in the Coding Notes of the Compendium. There is a
          study on the various methods of creating tables there.

          Ron Woodall

          At 07:12 PM 10/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
          >Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
          >been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
          >rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
          >tabs for a table like so:
          >
          >abc abc abc
          >abc abc abc
          >abc abc abc
          >
          >I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
          >and BBE will create all the markup for the table.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Raleigh
          >--

          ---------------------------------------
          Ron Woodall
          nor@...

          The Compendium of HTML Elements

          - available at/disponible à:
        • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 15 4:45 AM
            Greg,

            Maybe old news ;-)

            I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
            You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
            you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
            configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...

            You can see the default values here:

            http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

            Hugo

            Your original post from somewhere in 2002...

            > > We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
            > > know.
            >
            > But that's the whole point! I never had a tidy.cfg (up till the
            point where
            > I put one carriage return in a test file and called it tidy.cfg and
            > discovered that NoteTab performed differently.)
            >
            > > I am not positive about what
            > > is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg.
            >
            > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
            rest
            > appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.
            >
            > I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so don't expect
            further
            > "instant" replies to this thread.
            >
            > Greg
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 17 4:58 AM
              Hi Hugo,

              I said...

              > > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
              > > rest appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.

              You responded...

              > Maybe old news ;-)
              >
              > I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
              > You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
              > you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
              > configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...
              >
              > You can see the default values here:
              >
              > http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

              Thanks for that! I am still using the last Dave Raggett release. Eric did
              confirm that some settings are taken from NoteTab options, but was not
              specific about which ones, but me saying the rest were hard-coded into
              NoteTab was rather misleading, perhaps just plain inaccurate.

              I said it because, other than the setting Eric referred to, you can't alter
              what TIDY does without adding a TIDY.CFG to your set-up. Once you add one
              of those any settings forced by NoteTab are ignored. If TIDY.CFG is silent,
              then it uses its default, not the one previously used by NoteTab.

              As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The last time I
              looked the file was several times bigger than before and added features I
              didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been present - I
              have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

              Greg
            • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 17 11:41 AM
                > As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The
                last time I
                > looked the file was several times bigger than before and added
                features I
                > didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been
                present - I
                > have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

                Hi Greg,

                I had to convert a rather big and complicated MS Word-2000 document
                from a colleague. As you probably know, the save as html/web page
                feature in Word doesn't really create nice pages.

                I have tried several fixers for that, and was quite happy with
                Martha, a good rtf to html converter
                (http://www.cena.dgac.fr/~sagnier/info/formats/conversions/martha_a.ht
                m). I remembered however someone on this list mentioning that Tidy
                could fix the html-formatting of Word as well, so I tried to find
                information to add the necessary settings to my original cfg file.

                I used my originals settings for a couple of years, I guess, without
                making adaptations to it, and I didn't feel the need to update Tidy
                itself.

                While I was at the new location for Tidy I decided to try to use a
                newer version to see if that would help in fixing the MS-tags-and-
                formatting-mess. There are more settings in the latest version, and
                indeed, the Word2000 function does a really good job. I configured
                the cfg file by using Tidy GUI. Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well ---- now I'm
                writing this, I wonder if I did install the latest version of Tidy in
                my NoteTab folder (I can check that next week).

                I have had no problems with my settings - although I was reluctant to
                use the new version of Tidy because of reported errors. Maybe they
                had to do with conflicting settings in the Tidy configuration, or
                perhaps with previous versions of HTML-Tidy itself. To download a
                windows executable, you are redirected to Charlie Reitzels page for
                tidy-ui (which has some glitches) - but it is very helpful to review
                all possible settings in order to create a cfg-file.

                http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html

                Regards,

                Hugo
              • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17 11:47 AM
                  > Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                  that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well

                  ... Addendum: and renamed it to *.cfg

                  Hugo