Re: [NH] XHTML

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
      I use it. The main advantage, when combined with Cascading Style Sheets
      (css) is that you separate content from formatting which allows other users,
      say a cell phone user to read your content without your formatting which
      would not work for them.

      Start by reading this presentation:
      http://www.w3.org/Talks/2002/04/11-pemberton

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
        For example when I click <br>, can make the default
        > come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
        > if I have learned how to do it yet :).

        pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
        forward slash.

        I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
        which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
        see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
        coding which I assume translates into more predictable
        rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
        is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.

        --

        Edwardson
        http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15, 2002
          http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html

          Hello Edwardson,

          I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
          really like the clean look. The popup notes are nice, but hit and
          miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers. I work in
          education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
          denominator...

          Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
          starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
          sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
          Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
          help me understand the code. I'm assuming that valid code will be
          generated as long as I set up the default doc type as xhtml as Don
          pointed out. Don referenced a link that explained the use of xhtml
          that was helpful, too.

          Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
          inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

          Raleigh

          > For example when I click <br>, can make the default
          >> come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
          >> if I have learned how to do it yet :).
          >
          >pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
          >forward slash.
          >
          >I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
          >which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
          >see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
          >coding which I assume translates into more predictable
          >rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
          >is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.
          >

          >--
          >
          >Edwardson
          >http://www.info.com.ph/~etan

        • Edwardson Tan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
            Raleigh Way wrote:
            > http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html
            >
            > Hello Edwardson,
            >
            > I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
            > really like the clean look.

            Thank you Raleigh

            The popup notes are nice, but hit and
            > miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers.

            Only Gecko engines as far as I know are equipped to handle
            css :hover on elements other than <a>. Even Opera lags
            behind here. No idea about Linux's Konqueror.

            I work in
            > education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
            > denominator...

            Yes, I hear that a lot of educational institutions are still
            using NS4.x which means as close to basic CSS as possible is
            mandatory. Which is the reason I guess why a lot of experts
            advise a separate style sheet for NS.

            > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
            > starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
            > sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
            > Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
            > help me understand the code.

            What I like about NoteTab is that I can make global changes
            to many files at once and automatically. Just last week I
            had to change <script> stuff here </script> into something
            else in more than a hundred files. Notetab was finished
            before I could even sip my coffee :-)

            I haven't used Dreamweaver. But what I'd really like to see
            in Notetab is syntax highlighting. Color coding the tags is
            almost indispensible.

            --

            Edwardson
            http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
              Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                Hi Raleigh,

                (Sheri, thanks for you posts to me that really did not need a
                reply, except for thanks!-)

                > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
                starting to look into xhtml.
                > Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
                > inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

                You are right on target. HTML code is one of the main topics.
                Maybe 8 months to a year ago or more we had some excellent
                threads on xhtml and css. I played the "Devil's Advocate" for
                the most part arguing that using <font...> and other tags were
                easier to use than css an non-depreciated code. I now like css
                much better and some day might do xhtml. I'm still convinced
                that web pages will not be able to be view on a Dick Tracey
                watch, or Maxwell Smart I think his name was. ;) Anyway, that
                was the chief argument it seemed to justify xhtml. I surely
                might have missed other reasons. (The br />, meta... /> drives me
                battie looking at it. :)

                http://www.notetab.net

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              • Edwardson Tan
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                  Don Passenger wrote:
                  > Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

                  didn't know that. I use NoteTab Standard 4.90

                  --

                  Edwardson
                  http://www.info.com.ph/~etan