Re: [NH] XHTML

  • Raleigh Way
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
      Thanks! Worked like a charm!

      Are you using xhtml? I'm reading that it will be the new standard
      (w3c), but hasn't taken root yet. Are there any browser compliance
      issues with current browsers?

      >if you go to view/options/html you can check create xhtml and it will take
      >care of it for you
      >
      >if you have an existing file you can go to modify/change html tags/to xhtml
      >and it will convert them for you

    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
        I use it. The main advantage, when combined with Cascading Style Sheets
        (css) is that you separate content from formatting which allows other users,
        say a cell phone user to read your content without your formatting which
        would not work for them.

        Start by reading this presentation:
        http://www.w3.org/Talks/2002/04/11-pemberton

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
          For example when I click <br>, can make the default
          > come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
          > if I have learned how to do it yet :).

          pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
          forward slash.

          I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
          which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
          see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
          coding which I assume translates into more predictable
          rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
          is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.

          --

          Edwardson
          http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15, 2002
            http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html

            Hello Edwardson,

            I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
            really like the clean look. The popup notes are nice, but hit and
            miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers. I work in
            education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
            denominator...

            Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
            starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
            sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
            Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
            help me understand the code. I'm assuming that valid code will be
            generated as long as I set up the default doc type as xhtml as Don
            pointed out. Don referenced a link that explained the use of xhtml
            that was helpful, too.

            Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
            inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

            Raleigh

            > For example when I click <br>, can make the default
            >> come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
            >> if I have learned how to do it yet :).
            >
            >pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
            >forward slash.
            >
            >I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
            >which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
            >see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
            >coding which I assume translates into more predictable
            >rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
            >is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.
            >

            >--
            >
            >Edwardson
            >http://www.info.com.ph/~etan

          • Edwardson Tan
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
              Raleigh Way wrote:
              > http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html
              >
              > Hello Edwardson,
              >
              > I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
              > really like the clean look.

              Thank you Raleigh

              The popup notes are nice, but hit and
              > miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers.

              Only Gecko engines as far as I know are equipped to handle
              css :hover on elements other than <a>. Even Opera lags
              behind here. No idea about Linux's Konqueror.

              I work in
              > education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
              > denominator...

              Yes, I hear that a lot of educational institutions are still
              using NS4.x which means as close to basic CSS as possible is
              mandatory. Which is the reason I guess why a lot of experts
              advise a separate style sheet for NS.

              > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
              > starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
              > sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
              > Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
              > help me understand the code.

              What I like about NoteTab is that I can make global changes
              to many files at once and automatically. Just last week I
              had to change <script> stuff here </script> into something
              else in more than a hundred files. Notetab was finished
              before I could even sip my coffee :-)

              I haven't used Dreamweaver. But what I'd really like to see
              in Notetab is syntax highlighting. Color coding the tags is
              almost indispensible.

              --

              Edwardson
              http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                  Hi Raleigh,

                  (Sheri, thanks for you posts to me that really did not need a
                  reply, except for thanks!-)

                  > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
                  starting to look into xhtml.
                  > Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
                  > inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

                  You are right on target. HTML code is one of the main topics.
                  Maybe 8 months to a year ago or more we had some excellent
                  threads on xhtml and css. I played the "Devil's Advocate" for
                  the most part arguing that using <font...> and other tags were
                  easier to use than css an non-depreciated code. I now like css
                  much better and some day might do xhtml. I'm still convinced
                  that web pages will not be able to be view on a Dick Tracey
                  watch, or Maxwell Smart I think his name was. ;) Anyway, that
                  was the chief argument it seemed to justify xhtml. I surely
                  might have missed other reasons. (The br />, meta... /> drives me
                  battie looking at it. :)

                  http://www.notetab.net

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                • Edwardson Tan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                    Don Passenger wrote:
                    > Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

                    didn't know that. I use NoteTab Standard 4.90

                    --

                    Edwardson
                    http://www.info.com.ph/~etan