Re: [NH] XHTML

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
      if you go to view/options/html you can check create xhtml and it will take
      care of it for you

      if you have an existing file you can go to modify/change html tags/to xhtml
      and it will convert them for you

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
        Thanks! Worked like a charm!

        Are you using xhtml? I'm reading that it will be the new standard
        (w3c), but hasn't taken root yet. Are there any browser compliance
        issues with current browsers?

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
          I use it. The main advantage, when combined with Cascading Style Sheets
          (css) is that you separate content from formatting which allows other users,
          say a cell phone user to read your content without your formatting which
          would not work for them.

          Start by reading this presentation:
          http://www.w3.org/Talks/2002/04/11-pemberton

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2002
            For example when I click <br>, can make the default
            > come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
            > if I have learned how to do it yet :).

            pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
            forward slash.

            I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
            which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
            see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
            coding which I assume translates into more predictable
            rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
            is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.

            --

            Edwardson
            http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15, 2002
              http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html

              Hello Edwardson,

              I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
              really like the clean look. The popup notes are nice, but hit and
              miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers. I work in
              education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
              denominator...

              Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
              starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
              sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
              Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
              help me understand the code. I'm assuming that valid code will be
              generated as long as I set up the default doc type as xhtml as Don
              pointed out. Don referenced a link that explained the use of xhtml
              that was helpful, too.

              Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
              inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

              Raleigh

              > For example when I click <br>, can make the default
              >> come up as <br \>? I'm sure I could add stuff to the clipboard (as
              >> if I have learned how to do it yet :).
              >
              >pardon the nitpicking but I'm sure you meant <br /> with a
              >forward slash.
              >
              >I use xhtml strict all the time unless there's javascript
              >which the w3c validator just won't allow. The advantage I
              >see over HTML is that it's 'tighter'. It won't allow sloppy
              >coding which I assume translates into more predictable
              >rendering across more/most browsers. But of course all that
              >is for naught unless the xhtml is valid.
              >

              >--
              >
              >Edwardson
              >http://www.info.com.ph/~etan

            • Edwardson Tan
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                Raleigh Way wrote:
                > http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/csshub.html
                >
                > Hello Edwardson,
                >
                > I took a peek at your site above; it's a study within itself. I
                > really like the clean look.

                Thank you Raleigh

                The popup notes are nice, but hit and
                > miss with a wide audience using a variety of browsers.

                Only Gecko engines as far as I know are equipped to handle
                css :hover on elements other than <a>. Even Opera lags
                behind here. No idea about Linux's Konqueror.

                I work in
                > education, which forces me/us to design for the lowest common
                > denominator...

                Yes, I hear that a lot of educational institutions are still
                using NS4.x which means as close to basic CSS as possible is
                mandatory. Which is the reason I guess why a lot of experts
                advise a separate style sheet for NS.

                > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
                > starting to look into xhtml. You reasoning for using it makes good
                > sense, i.e., tighter control of the code. I generally use
                > Dreamweaver to create pages, but I like to use NoteTab and BBEdit to
                > help me understand the code.

                What I like about NoteTab is that I can make global changes
                to many files at once and automatically. Just last week I
                had to change <script> stuff here </script> into something
                else in more than a hundred files. Notetab was finished
                before I could even sip my coffee :-)

                I haven't used Dreamweaver. But what I'd really like to see
                in Notetab is syntax highlighting. Color coding the tags is
                almost indispensible.

                --

                Edwardson
                http://www.info.com.ph/~etan
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                  Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                    Hi Raleigh,

                    (Sheri, thanks for you posts to me that really did not need a
                    reply, except for thanks!-)

                    > Thanks for your comments. You're right I meant <br />. I'm just
                    starting to look into xhtml.
                    > Aside to NoteTab list users: If such postings to this list are
                    > inappropriate, just let me know. Don't want to upset the group!

                    You are right on target. HTML code is one of the main topics.
                    Maybe 8 months to a year ago or more we had some excellent
                    threads on xhtml and css. I played the "Devil's Advocate" for
                    the most part arguing that using <font...> and other tags were
                    easier to use than css an non-depreciated code. I now like css
                    much better and some day might do xhtml. I'm still convinced
                    that web pages will not be able to be view on a Dick Tracey
                    watch, or Maxwell Smart I think his name was. ;) Anyway, that
                    was the chief argument it seemed to justify xhtml. I surely
                    might have missed other reasons. (The br />, meta... /> drives me
                    battie looking at it. :)

                    http://www.notetab.net

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                  • Edwardson Tan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 16, 2002
                      Don Passenger wrote:
                      > Notetab Pro has html syntax highlighting.

                      didn't know that. I use NoteTab Standard 4.90

                      --

                      Edwardson
                      http://www.info.com.ph/~etan