RE: [NH] RE: HTML Tidy Config File

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 12, 2002
      Hi Greg,

      ques. 1. Dunno. Might have to leave the tidy config in Ntab folder

      >to cope with these. However, I then discovered that effectively NoteTab has
      >its own tidy.cfg file hard-coded within itself somewhere.

      I see NoteTab has options. up on menu:

      view > options > click the html files tab

      more specifically I speak of a part of that dialog: only the html tags, which consists of the bottom portion only of that dialog.

      highlight html tags is a ntab editor view option. The remaining three options have to do with the html tags themselves. I see this as answering your ques. 2

      As Jody pointed you toward - On html clip library: useful commands > tidy html code

      look at its clip code especially the section labeled :NoteTabMethod

      you'll see same three notetab's built in options as what's in the ntab options dialog.

      menu: help > help on clip programming > click the index tab

      scroll to and display one at a time each of the next three

      ^$GetHtmlTextTidy
      ^$GetTidyExe
      ^!RunTidy

      Ok now forget notetab for just a moment.

      tidy probably was made to work directly on a disk file. That is, you assign a command using the command line interface and tidy then does its job directly on the disk file.

      Now, recall Notetab. As I get it, the ^!RunTidy command integrates Tidy with Notetab. the Notetab help on this command reports something to the effect that Notetab takes the text in its document window and sends it to Tidy then takes Tidy's results, then loads Tidy's output back into the same Ntab document window.

      My perception of Notetab, one thing it's very good at is its ability to control or route the commandline (Ntab is great with Perl too). Without Notetab and without a visual interface for Tidy, you'd have to commandline initiate Tidy then, once Tidy had done its work, re load the file into Notepad so as to view what Tidy had done to the disk file.

      I've never learned or understood tidy config parameters so I cannot help you with interpretation/terminology.

      Would any of these help?

      http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.html
      http://www.google.com/search?q=html+tidy+options
      http://www.google.com/search?q=html+tidy+config+settings

      --
      Alan.
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 12, 2002
        Hi Greg,

        >> Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
        >> 3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)
        >
        >Clearly you haven't! :-)

        Actually, I did,... perhaps a year ago and knew a sharp guy like
        yourself could figure it out all on your lonesome. ;) I remember
        better like that and get a better understanding.

        >Cos it doesn't tell me what's built in to the "Use NoteTab
        >command (much faster)" option and then overlays the whatever the
        >defaults are with the upper/lower/xhtml options.

        The part I did not mention (perhaps Alan did) is the HTML Library
        (NoteTab), due to its code like ^!InsertHTML, *normally* uses the
        case/HTML type you have configured under the HTML Files tab.
        However,,, Eric made Tidy rule over the norm, *if* one of the
        cases is picked in the Use NoteTab option. However, Eric did not
        leave us a choice. UPPERCASE is already selected. <g> I think
        you saw that though by your statement above.

        ^$GetHtmlTextTidy("Str"[;Format])$ (added in v4.8)
        Returns the string with HTML tags converted to Uppercase,
        Lowercase, or XHTML format. If the Format parameter is not
        specified, the result is determined by the settings in NoteTab's
        Options. Use the Format parameter to control the format of HTML
        tags. It can have one of the following values: UPPERCASE,
        LOWERCASE, or XHTML.

        This
        ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
        should be
        ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
        if you want it to work like Help says. ;)

        I would say the reason for NoteTab being faster is it changes the
        case (only) as far as I can tell. Tidy does a lot more.

        :NoteTabMethod
        ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!InsertText ^$GetHtmlTextTidy("^$GetSelection$";^%Param%)$
        ^!Goto EndCall

        :TidyMethod
        ^!Set %Param%=--tidy-mark false -q^?{Indent HTML code?==_Yes^=i|No^=}^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase^=u|Lowercase^=|XHTML^= -asxml}^?{Wrap long lines?==Yes^=|_No^= -wrap 0}
        ^!RunTidy ^%Param%

        Now, if you go to Dave's site and get the break down on all the
        arguments/switches or perhaps Grant's Library you can know what
        they all mean. I believe the main thing I got Grant's for was to
        build the .cfg for me. Just guessing, there are probably about
        20-25 switches???

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 14, 2002
          Hi Jody, (And thanks to Alan for his input too!)

          > >> Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
          > >> 3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)
          > >
          > >Clearly you haven't! :-)
          >
          > Actually, I did,...

          I apologise. Clearly you did, but you're just missing the point of what I
          was asking for.

          > perhaps a year ago and knew a sharp guy like
          > yourself could figure it out all on your lonesome. ;)

          You flatterer, you! :-)

          And I probably could work it all out myself, but I figured why re-invent the
          wheel, when someone could just tell me the equivalent of round things roll
          better than square ones!

          [Lots of good clip stuff snipped - I've never investigated clip language but
          can take a pretty good stab at guessing how it works.]

          All of your snipped quote only deals with tag's case output and otherwise
          does the same as simply doing a CTRL+F7. Clearly, there's more built into
          NoteTab. For example indenting would also appear to be taken from a one of
          the NoteTab option dialogue settings.

          The question (rephrased) is how much and what settings do I need to allow
          for in my Tidy.cfg file?

          I tried a CTRL+F7 on a file which, given my NoteTab options, normally
          produces no error file, outputs tags in upper case, attributes in lower
          case, indents tag contents by 4 characters and, no doubt, various other
          things which I take for granted, because I've never seen Tidy do anything
          else.

          Place a "Tidy.cfg" file empty, except for a couple of carriage returns, into
          my NoteTab folder and doing a CTRL+F7 produces this output in an *.err file

          ====================

          Tidy (vers 4th August 2000) Parsing console input (stdin)

          stdin: Doctype given is "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
          stdin: Document content looks like HTML 4.01 Transitional
          no warnings or errors were found

          ====================

          This suggests that there's a HTMLTidy "doctype: auto" in place, which is the
          Tidy default, but this doesn't account for why I see it, when using CTRL+F7
          without the file, I don't.

          It also amends the tidied file to lower case (which you explain is the
          default), but there's no indentation. What else have I missed? What should
          be in the Tidy.cfg to kill the output about the doctype, to insert the
          indentation, etc etc,?

          As you say, I'm sure I could work it out, but this isn't me trying to avoid
          the learning, it's me trying to avoid the work.

          I'll just have to get on with it, I suppose. I'll let you know the results,
          when my nose heals..... Now, where's that grindstone?

          Greg
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 14, 2002
            > Greg Chapman wrote:
            >
            > Clearly, there's more built into NoteTab. For example
            > indenting would also appear to be taken from a one of the
            > NoteTab option dialogue settings.

            Another voice heard from - opinion only.
            I think you are making a faulty assumption about NoteTab having Tidy
            configuration parameters built into its code.

            If you don't have a tidy.cfg I will assume Tidy its self has 'default
            parameters' built into it, maybe not.

            If you have a config file the defaults are supplanted by the settings in
            the config file if settings in the config file differ from the defaults.

            NoteTabs only role, I assume, is running Tidy on the file in the focused
            tab and creating an error.txt file to help chase down the problems.

            > The question (rephrased) is how much and what settings
            > do I need to allow for in my Tidy.cfg file?

            > I tried a CTRL+F7 on a file which, given my NoteTab options,
            > normally produces no error file, outputs tags in upper
            > case, attributes in lower case, indents tag contents by
            > 4 characters and, no doubt, various other things which
            > I take for granted, because I've never seen Tidy do
            > anything else.

            I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
            and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
            in NoteTab of course, to work for you. Although I haven't researched
            the configurations it seems the clip produced file is complete.

            The config file should, once set up properly, make a lot of difference
            in the contents of Error.txt, that is, unless you're really good and
            make few mistakes.

            If you think you might want it, I can also send the Tidycfg clip so you
            can toy with that.

            hrs

            // HTML Tidy configuration file created 10/11/02 @ 10:45:18 with NoteTab Pro
            error-file: C:\Fookes\ntp\tidy errors.txt
            add-xml-pi: NO
            add-xml-decl: NO
            add-xml-space: NO
            assume-xml-procins: NO
            break-before-br: YES
            char-encoding: ASCII
            clean: YES
            doctype: AUTO
            drop-empty-paras: NO
            drop-font-tags: YES
            enclose-text: YES
            enclose-block-text: YES
            fix-backslash: YES
            indent-attributes: no
            indent-spaces: 0
            indent: NO
            input-xml: NO
            keep-time: NO
            logical-emphasis: YES
            markup: YES
            new-blocklevel-tags: cfoutput, cfquery
            new-empty-tags: cfelse
            new-inline-tags: cfif, cfelse, math, mroot, mrow, mi, mn, mo, msqrt,
            mfrac, msubsup, munderover, munder, mover, mmultiscripts, msup, msub,
            mtext, mprescripts, mtable, mtr, mtd, mth
            numeric-entities: NO
            output-xhtml: NO
            output-xml: NO
            quiet: NO
            quote-ampersand: NO
            quote-marks: NO
            quote-nbsp: YES
            show-warnings: YES
            split: NO
            tab-size: 2
            tidy-mark: YES
            word-2000: NO
            wrap-asp: NO
            wrap-php: NO
            wrap-script-literals: NO
            wrap: 000
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
              Hi hrs!

              > Another voice heard from - opinion only.
              > I think you are making a faulty assumption about NoteTab having Tidy
              > configuration parameters built into its code.

              My assumption isn't quite that, rather the evidence is that if it fails to
              find a Tidy.cfg it interrogates certain NoteTab options and uses those
              setting to guide how Tidy performs. In that restricted sense, NoteTab has
              built-in Tidy parameters.

              > If you have a config file the defaults are supplanted by the settings in
              > the config file if settings in the config file differ from the defaults.

              It's slightly more than that. NoteTab fails to query any of its own
              settings and runs entirely on Tidy defaults.

              > NoteTabs only role, I assume, is running Tidy on the file in the focused
              > tab and creating an error.txt file to help chase down the problems.

              True!

              > I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
              > and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
              > in NoteTab of course, to work for you.

              Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had private
              conversations before. I trust his work!

              > If you think you might want it, I can also send the Tidycfg clip so you
              > can toy with that.

              I'll play with what you've sent before asking for more. I'm busy this week,
              getting ready for a holiday away from the computer next week. So I may not
              come back with ant findings for a little while.

              Greg
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                > Ed Brown wrote:
                >
                > Apparently my version of NoteTab Pro does not have a
                > Tidy file period. When I try to use it I am told that
                > it can not find tidy.exe. I would like to be able to
                > use the HTML Tidy to clean up my HTML. I how do I
                > place it in NoteTab Pro?
                >
                > Ed

                Ed,

                If you haven't downloaded Tidy use this first link. You'll find
                download links for the binaries about halfway down the page on the left.

                I placed my copy in the NTP main folder, you can put it where you like,
                NoteTab will ask if you want to find it when you load a html file and
                press Ctrl+F7.

                http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

                hrs

                These links furnished by Alan C. previously.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 16, 2002
                  Hi hrs,

                  Earlier I said...

                  > > I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
                  > > and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
                  > > in NoteTab of course, to work for you.
                  >
                  > Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had private
                  > conversations before. I trust his work!

                  I've now had a brief look. As you say, this is _your_ tidy.cfg and doesn't
                  pretend to be the settings used by NoteTab by default, but armed with the
                  tidy documentation, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it to produce the
                  same output as NoteTab does on my machine.

                  Thanks for your input. I'll have to do a bit more playing to get those
                  Atomz tags to work, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

                  Greg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 16, 2002
                    Hi Greg,

                    >Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had
                    >private conversations before. I trust his work!

                    I of course do too, else I would not have recommended him. ;)
                    Perhaps the .cfg file is corrupt by you or whatever and that is
                    why the error.txt file is created.

                    >I'll play with what you've sent before asking for more. I'm busy
                    >this week, getting ready for a holiday away from the computer
                    >next week. So I may not come back with ant findings for a little
                    >while.

                    We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                    know. I would like to run it though to make sure there is not
                    something going amiss in NoteTab. I am not positive about what
                    is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg. I don't now
                    if it it tidy or NoteTab that handles it. I can find out if you
                    want.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                      Hi Jody,

                      > We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                      > know.

                      But that's the whole point! I never had a tidy.cfg (up till the point where
                      I put one carriage return in a test file and called it tidy.cfg and
                      discovered that NoteTab performed differently.)

                      > I am not positive about what
                      > is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg.

                      It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the rest
                      appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.

                      I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so don't expect further
                      "instant" replies to this thread.

                      Greg
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                        > Jody wrote:
                        >
                        > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is
                        > used when there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy
                        > or NoteTab that handles it. I can find out if you want.
                        >
                        > Happy HTML'n!
                        > Jody

                        Hi Jody,

                        If it's not too much trouble, please get us straight on this point.

                        hrs
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                          Hi Alan,

                          I'll mention it to Eric. He's programming off/on so he
                          might have not been able to read this thread yet or at all.

                          > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when
                          > there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy or NoteTab that
                          > handles it [or both per NoteTab's optional features.] I can
                          > find out if you want.
                          >
                          > Happy HTML'n!
                          > Jody

                          Hi Jody,

                          If it's not too much trouble, please get us straight on this point.

                          hrs

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          http://www.notetab.net

                          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                        • Eric G.V. Fookes
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 18, 2002
                            (Oops, this should have gone to YahooGroups and went to hsavage's private
                            mail instead. Sorry about that.)

                            Hi hrs,

                            >I'll mention it to Eric. He's programming off/on so he
                            >might have not been able to read this thread yet or at all.

                            Actually, the more I'm programming the less time I spend on e-mail. So if
                            I'm quiet, it usually means I'm doing a lot of programming <g>. I'm
                            "multitasking" several big projects (including NoteTab 5.0) right now...

                            > > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when
                            > > there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy or NoteTab that
                            > > handles it [or both per NoteTab's optional features.] I can
                            > > find out if you want.

                            Here's what Help says:

                            "HTML Tidy accepts a variety of switches to control the way it processes
                            HTML tags. NoteTab will try to determine the best switches based on the
                            active document type and the HTML Tag option settings. If you want more
                            control over the settings, you can create a configuration file for Tidy,
                            which you should save in the NoteTab folder with the name Tidy.cfg (see the
                            HTML Tidy instructions for details)."

                            The kind of things that NoteTab takes into account is your settings for tag
                            case (upper or lower case), whether to use the XHTML format, and whether
                            the document is an XML file or not.

                            Regards,
                            Eric G.V. Fookes

                          • Raleigh Way
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 27, 2002
                              Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
                              been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
                              rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
                              tabs for a table like so:

                              abc abc abc
                              abc abc abc
                              abc abc abc

                              I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
                              and BBE will create all the markup for the table.

                              Thanks,

                              Raleigh
                              --
                            • Ron Woodall
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 28, 2002
                                Hi Raleigh:

                                Take a look in the Coding Notes of the Compendium. There is a
                                study on the various methods of creating tables there.

                                Ron Woodall

                                At 07:12 PM 10/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
                                >Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
                                >been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
                                >rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
                                >tabs for a table like so:
                                >
                                >abc abc abc
                                >abc abc abc
                                >abc abc abc
                                >
                                >I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
                                >and BBE will create all the markup for the table.
                                >
                                >Thanks,
                                >
                                >Raleigh
                                >--

                                ---------------------------------------
                                Ron Woodall
                                nor@...

                                The Compendium of HTML Elements

                                - available at/disponible à:
                              • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 15, 2003
                                  Greg,

                                  Maybe old news ;-)

                                  I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
                                  You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
                                  you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
                                  configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...

                                  You can see the default values here:

                                  http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

                                  Hugo

                                  Your original post from somewhere in 2002...

                                  > > We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                                  > > know.
                                  >
                                  > But that's the whole point! I never had a tidy.cfg (up till the
                                  point where
                                  > I put one carriage return in a test file and called it tidy.cfg and
                                  > discovered that NoteTab performed differently.)
                                  >
                                  > > I am not positive about what
                                  > > is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg.
                                  >
                                  > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
                                  rest
                                  > appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.
                                  >
                                  > I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so don't expect
                                  further
                                  > "instant" replies to this thread.
                                  >
                                  > Greg
                                • Greg Chapman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                    Hi Hugo,

                                    I said...

                                    > > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
                                    > > rest appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.

                                    You responded...

                                    > Maybe old news ;-)
                                    >
                                    > I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
                                    > You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
                                    > you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
                                    > configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...
                                    >
                                    > You can see the default values here:
                                    >
                                    > http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

                                    Thanks for that! I am still using the last Dave Raggett release. Eric did
                                    confirm that some settings are taken from NoteTab options, but was not
                                    specific about which ones, but me saying the rest were hard-coded into
                                    NoteTab was rather misleading, perhaps just plain inaccurate.

                                    I said it because, other than the setting Eric referred to, you can't alter
                                    what TIDY does without adding a TIDY.CFG to your set-up. Once you add one
                                    of those any settings forced by NoteTab are ignored. If TIDY.CFG is silent,
                                    then it uses its default, not the one previously used by NoteTab.

                                    As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The last time I
                                    looked the file was several times bigger than before and added features I
                                    didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been present - I
                                    have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

                                    Greg
                                  • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                      > As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The
                                      last time I
                                      > looked the file was several times bigger than before and added
                                      features I
                                      > didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been
                                      present - I
                                      > have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

                                      Hi Greg,

                                      I had to convert a rather big and complicated MS Word-2000 document
                                      from a colleague. As you probably know, the save as html/web page
                                      feature in Word doesn't really create nice pages.

                                      I have tried several fixers for that, and was quite happy with
                                      Martha, a good rtf to html converter
                                      (http://www.cena.dgac.fr/~sagnier/info/formats/conversions/martha_a.ht
                                      m). I remembered however someone on this list mentioning that Tidy
                                      could fix the html-formatting of Word as well, so I tried to find
                                      information to add the necessary settings to my original cfg file.

                                      I used my originals settings for a couple of years, I guess, without
                                      making adaptations to it, and I didn't feel the need to update Tidy
                                      itself.

                                      While I was at the new location for Tidy I decided to try to use a
                                      newer version to see if that would help in fixing the MS-tags-and-
                                      formatting-mess. There are more settings in the latest version, and
                                      indeed, the Word2000 function does a really good job. I configured
                                      the cfg file by using Tidy GUI. Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                                      that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well ---- now I'm
                                      writing this, I wonder if I did install the latest version of Tidy in
                                      my NoteTab folder (I can check that next week).

                                      I have had no problems with my settings - although I was reluctant to
                                      use the new version of Tidy because of reported errors. Maybe they
                                      had to do with conflicting settings in the Tidy configuration, or
                                      perhaps with previous versions of HTML-Tidy itself. To download a
                                      windows executable, you are redirected to Charlie Reitzels page for
                                      tidy-ui (which has some glitches) - but it is very helpful to review
                                      all possible settings in order to create a cfg-file.

                                      http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html

                                      Regards,

                                      Hugo
                                    • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                        > Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                                        that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well

                                        ... Addendum: and renamed it to *.cfg

                                        Hugo