Wingdings

  • PaulG
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2002
      Hi,
      I've searched help and cannot seem to find how to insert Wingdings using
      NoteTab Pro. If I use Open Office and use insert symbol then NoteTab
      seems to see it OK. But how do I use NTP directly?
      Thanks.
      :PG
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
        Hi PG:

        You've opened up a nightmare for mature publishers. I call them
        "mature" because they've gone beyond the defaults of all browsers and are
        starting to demand things that browser vendors are reluctant to address,
        "site based look and feel rather than the browser's look and feel." This is
        an issue that I've been fighting now for several years.

        To implement your wingdings, you're going to have to resort to
        Bitstream's downloadable fonts. This currently only works on MSIE 5+ (maybe
        4 - I can't remember now.) Go to the Compendium and at the first page,
        select "view the site with downloadable fonts." You will be asked to
        install the font reader as an active-X control. Let it install. Removal
        instructions are included in the link to first time users on the first
        information page.

        Go to the section on Notes --> Coding Notes --> Fonts. Read the
        entire five pages in this section. This will give you and idea on how to
        include them. The alternative to wingdings is to create a graphic but this
        is font size specific and you'll have to carefully adjust their size to
        ensure that the lines don't get pushed out of their proper leading (line
        spacing.)

        If any part of this is not clear, let me know and I'll try again
        in a different direction.

        I hope this helps.

        Ron Woodall

        At 10:55 AM 10/12/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >I've searched help and cannot seem to find how to insert Wingdings using
        >NoteTab Pro. If I use Open Office and use insert symbol then NoteTab
        >seems to see it OK. But how do I use NTP directly?
        >Thanks.
        >:PG

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
          Hi Paul,

          > I've searched help and cannot seem to find how to insert Wingdings using
          > NoteTab Pro. If I use Open Office and use insert symbol then NoteTab
          > seems to see it OK. But how do I use NTP directly?
          > Thanks.

          I'm confused! And I maybe misunderstanding you completely.

          If this was posted to the basic list I'd say:

          NoteTab Pro will only display fixed pitch fonts, so you won't be able to
          insert any character from the Wingdings font into NoteTab.

          However, this is the HTML list, and for that I say you insert it in the same
          way as any other font, through the <font face="wingdings"></font> tag or the
          similar CSS declaration.

          Greg
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2002
            Hi Paul,

            Having written this...

            > However, this is the HTML list, and for that I say you insert it in the
            same
            > way as any other font, through the <font face="wingdings"></font> tag or
            the
            > similar CSS declaration.

            I see Ron's post and realised I should have added...

            And bear in mind that any font is only viewable on the recipients machine if
            they have it installed. unless.....

            and that's where we get into the complicated business of embedding fonts
            into the pages, which I'll leave for Ron to go into, cos, when most people
            do this they resort to turning the fonts into graphics and placing them on
            the page instead.

            Greg