Re: [NH] RE: HTML Tidy Config File

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hi Greg,

      >> I've been using Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy (4 Aug 2000

      >I now realise there's more to it than that! So I'll ask a more
      >difficult question. Has anyone produced the necessary entries
      >for a Tidy.cfg file that will accept the code involved in an
      >Atomz (http://www.atomz.com) site search template file?

      I do not know of what you are talking about, but Grant MacKenzie
      made a Clip a long time ago to make a cfg file for Tidy. You can
      also read Dave Raggett's page. He goes over the settings in the
      cfg file. (I don't have the link handy.)

      I found Grant's for you:

      http://www.notetab.com/html.htm#Utilities
      http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/htm_tidy.zip
      htm_tidy.zip; 1 Nov 99; Grant MacKenzie
      Interface to the Tidy Freeware utility. Cleans up your HTML code.

      http://www.notetab.net

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 11, 2002
        Hi Jody and others...

        > >> I've been using Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy (4 Aug 2000
        >
        > >I now realise there's more to it than that! So I'll ask a more
        > >difficult question. Has anyone produced the necessary entries
        > >for a Tidy.cfg file that will accept the code involved in an
        > >Atomz (http://www.atomz.com) site search template file?
        >
        > I do not know of what you are talking about,

        From the complete silence on this one, I guess no one else does, as well!

        Let's start at the beginning, as I know you have just redirected at least
        one HTML newbie to this list.

        HTML Tidy is a program which takes scruffily written HTML code (That's the
        stuff I normally produce!) and tidies it up.

        For example, if you haven't got one, it will work out what the DOCTYPE line
        should be and insert one. It will add closing tags if you have forgotten
        them and correct all manner of errors, such as nesting tags incorrectly. It
        will indent all the code between a pair of opening and closing tags, so it's
        easier to decipher when you come back to it months later.

        Exactly how it does its job is controlled by a plain text configuration file
        which is called as you launch the program. It can be named almost anything,
        but when used in conjunction with NoteTab must be named "Tidy.cfg" and
        placed in the NoteTab program folder.

        Question 1 was: How do I tell NoteTab to look for it somewhere else. (I
        have a line in my notetab.ini file which tells NoteTab where to look for
        tidy.exe itself. My copy of tidy.exe is in its own folder, not with the
        rest of the NoteTab files. That works, but it didn't pick up that Tidy.cfg
        was there too.)

        One of the things you can do in a Tidy configuration file is to teach
        HTMLTidy how to handle proprietary and non-standard tags. I happen to have
        signed up for the freebie Atomz (http://www.atomz.com) site search facility.
        (Yes, I know there's Google and others who provide that kind of service, but
        I have my reasons for choosing Atomz - you'll work it out if you follow the
        Search links at the site in my sig)

        The Atomz service relies on code for the search results template having a
        number of non-standard tags included in the HTML. I created a tidy.cfg file
        to cope with these. However, I then discovered that effectively NoteTab has
        its own tidy.cfg file hard-coded within itself somewhere. Having found a
        personal tidy.cfg, NoteTab immediately forgets all about its internal one
        and only does what my tidy.cfg says it should.

        So Question 2 was:
        What are the tidy.cfg commands built into NoteTab, so I can add them to my
        personal tidy.cfg I'm sure I could go through the documentation and work
        it out, but I thought someone here would have done that already, saving me a
        bit of work

        My final question, because I clearly haven't interpreted the instructions of
        the Atomz site correctly, was has anyone else here used the Atomz Site
        Search service and managed to create a tidy.cfg file which successfully
        allows HTMLTidy to do its stuff with all the additional non-standard tags
        the are needed to get a neatly tidied file to upload to Atomz?

        > but Grant MacKenzie
        > made a Clip a long time ago to make a cfg file for Tidy. You can
        > also read Dave Raggett's page. He goes over the settings in the
        > cfg file. (I don't have the link handy.)

        In the past downloaded the rather nice TidyGUI program, which will also help
        create a tidy.cfg and I have a local copy of Dave Raggett's original
        documentation. That's not the problem. It's interpreting it, because Dave
        and Atomz use slightly different terminology, and knowing what to put in it!

        Greg Chapman
        http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk
        Help, Handouts and Guidance for OCR's New CLAIT course
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 11, 2002
          Hi Greg,

          >Question 1 was: How do I tell NoteTab to look for it somewhere
          >else. (I have a line in my notetab.ini file which tells NoteTab
          >where to look for tidy.exe itself. My copy of tidy.exe is in its
          >own folder, not with the rest of the NoteTab files. That works,
          >but it didn't pick up that Tidy.cfg was there too.)

          If the .cfg is not recognized where the tidy.exe file is, it does
          not seem like you can move it from NoteTab's main folder, given
          you are right in your testing.

          >So Question 2 was:
          >What are the tidy.cfg commands built into NoteTab, so I can add
          >them to my personal tidy.cfg I'm sure I could go through the
          >documentation and work it out, but I thought someone here would
          >have done that already, saving me a bit of work

          Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
          3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)

          Dave Raggedy's (sp) page goes pretty in depth about the configuration.

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 12, 2002
            Hi Jody,

            > Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
            > 3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)

            Clearly you haven't! :-)

            Cos it doesn't tell me what's built in to the "Use NoteTab command (much
            faster)" option and then overlays the whatever the defaults are with the
            upper/lower/xhtml options.

            I guess I'll have to do some work, or hope that Eric will spot the thread!

            Greg
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 12, 2002
              Hi Greg,

              ques. 1. Dunno. Might have to leave the tidy config in Ntab folder

              >to cope with these. However, I then discovered that effectively NoteTab has
              >its own tidy.cfg file hard-coded within itself somewhere.

              I see NoteTab has options. up on menu:

              view > options > click the html files tab

              more specifically I speak of a part of that dialog: only the html tags, which consists of the bottom portion only of that dialog.

              highlight html tags is a ntab editor view option. The remaining three options have to do with the html tags themselves. I see this as answering your ques. 2

              As Jody pointed you toward - On html clip library: useful commands > tidy html code

              look at its clip code especially the section labeled :NoteTabMethod

              you'll see same three notetab's built in options as what's in the ntab options dialog.

              menu: help > help on clip programming > click the index tab

              scroll to and display one at a time each of the next three

              ^$GetHtmlTextTidy
              ^$GetTidyExe
              ^!RunTidy

              Ok now forget notetab for just a moment.

              tidy probably was made to work directly on a disk file. That is, you assign a command using the command line interface and tidy then does its job directly on the disk file.

              Now, recall Notetab. As I get it, the ^!RunTidy command integrates Tidy with Notetab. the Notetab help on this command reports something to the effect that Notetab takes the text in its document window and sends it to Tidy then takes Tidy's results, then loads Tidy's output back into the same Ntab document window.

              My perception of Notetab, one thing it's very good at is its ability to control or route the commandline (Ntab is great with Perl too). Without Notetab and without a visual interface for Tidy, you'd have to commandline initiate Tidy then, once Tidy had done its work, re load the file into Notepad so as to view what Tidy had done to the disk file.

              I've never learned or understood tidy config parameters so I cannot help you with interpretation/terminology.

              Would any of these help?

              http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.html
              http://www.google.com/search?q=html+tidy+options
              http://www.google.com/search?q=html+tidy+config+settings

              --
              Alan.
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 12, 2002
                Hi Greg,

                >> Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
                >> 3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)
                >
                >Clearly you haven't! :-)

                Actually, I did,... perhaps a year ago and knew a sharp guy like
                yourself could figure it out all on your lonesome. ;) I remember
                better like that and get a better understanding.

                >Cos it doesn't tell me what's built in to the "Use NoteTab
                >command (much faster)" option and then overlays the whatever the
                >defaults are with the upper/lower/xhtml options.

                The part I did not mention (perhaps Alan did) is the HTML Library
                (NoteTab), due to its code like ^!InsertHTML, *normally* uses the
                case/HTML type you have configured under the HTML Files tab.
                However,,, Eric made Tidy rule over the norm, *if* one of the
                cases is picked in the Use NoteTab option. However, Eric did not
                leave us a choice. UPPERCASE is already selected. <g> I think
                you saw that though by your statement above.

                ^$GetHtmlTextTidy("Str"[;Format])$ (added in v4.8)
                Returns the string with HTML tags converted to Uppercase,
                Lowercase, or XHTML format. If the Format parameter is not
                specified, the result is determined by the settings in NoteTab's
                Options. Use the Format parameter to control the format of HTML
                tags. It can have one of the following values: UPPERCASE,
                LOWERCASE, or XHTML.

                This
                ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
                should be
                ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
                if you want it to work like Help says. ;)

                I would say the reason for NoteTab being faster is it changes the
                case (only) as far as I can tell. Tidy does a lot more.

                :NoteTabMethod
                ^!Set %Param%=^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase|Lowercase|XHTML}
                ^!Select ALL
                ^!InsertText ^$GetHtmlTextTidy("^$GetSelection$";^%Param%)$
                ^!Goto EndCall

                :TidyMethod
                ^!Set %Param%=--tidy-mark false -q^?{Indent HTML code?==_Yes^=i|No^=}^?{Tag format?==_Uppercase^=u|Lowercase^=|XHTML^= -asxml}^?{Wrap long lines?==Yes^=|_No^= -wrap 0}
                ^!RunTidy ^%Param%

                Now, if you go to Dave's site and get the break down on all the
                arguments/switches or perhaps Grant's Library you can know what
                they all mean. I believe the main thing I got Grant's for was to
                build the .cfg for me. Just guessing, there are probably about
                20-25 switches???

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 14, 2002
                  Hi Jody, (And thanks to Alan for his input too!)

                  > >> Look in the HTML Library for the "Tidy HTML code" Clip about
                  > >> 3/4ths the way down. Study it. ;)
                  > >
                  > >Clearly you haven't! :-)
                  >
                  > Actually, I did,...

                  I apologise. Clearly you did, but you're just missing the point of what I
                  was asking for.

                  > perhaps a year ago and knew a sharp guy like
                  > yourself could figure it out all on your lonesome. ;)

                  You flatterer, you! :-)

                  And I probably could work it all out myself, but I figured why re-invent the
                  wheel, when someone could just tell me the equivalent of round things roll
                  better than square ones!

                  [Lots of good clip stuff snipped - I've never investigated clip language but
                  can take a pretty good stab at guessing how it works.]

                  All of your snipped quote only deals with tag's case output and otherwise
                  does the same as simply doing a CTRL+F7. Clearly, there's more built into
                  NoteTab. For example indenting would also appear to be taken from a one of
                  the NoteTab option dialogue settings.

                  The question (rephrased) is how much and what settings do I need to allow
                  for in my Tidy.cfg file?

                  I tried a CTRL+F7 on a file which, given my NoteTab options, normally
                  produces no error file, outputs tags in upper case, attributes in lower
                  case, indents tag contents by 4 characters and, no doubt, various other
                  things which I take for granted, because I've never seen Tidy do anything
                  else.

                  Place a "Tidy.cfg" file empty, except for a couple of carriage returns, into
                  my NoteTab folder and doing a CTRL+F7 produces this output in an *.err file

                  ====================

                  Tidy (vers 4th August 2000) Parsing console input (stdin)

                  stdin: Doctype given is "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
                  stdin: Document content looks like HTML 4.01 Transitional
                  no warnings or errors were found

                  ====================

                  This suggests that there's a HTMLTidy "doctype: auto" in place, which is the
                  Tidy default, but this doesn't account for why I see it, when using CTRL+F7
                  without the file, I don't.

                  It also amends the tidied file to lower case (which you explain is the
                  default), but there's no indentation. What else have I missed? What should
                  be in the Tidy.cfg to kill the output about the doctype, to insert the
                  indentation, etc etc,?

                  As you say, I'm sure I could work it out, but this isn't me trying to avoid
                  the learning, it's me trying to avoid the work.

                  I'll just have to get on with it, I suppose. I'll let you know the results,
                  when my nose heals..... Now, where's that grindstone?

                  Greg
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 14, 2002
                    > Greg Chapman wrote:
                    >
                    > Clearly, there's more built into NoteTab. For example
                    > indenting would also appear to be taken from a one of the
                    > NoteTab option dialogue settings.

                    Another voice heard from - opinion only.
                    I think you are making a faulty assumption about NoteTab having Tidy
                    configuration parameters built into its code.

                    If you don't have a tidy.cfg I will assume Tidy its self has 'default
                    parameters' built into it, maybe not.

                    If you have a config file the defaults are supplanted by the settings in
                    the config file if settings in the config file differ from the defaults.

                    NoteTabs only role, I assume, is running Tidy on the file in the focused
                    tab and creating an error.txt file to help chase down the problems.

                    > The question (rephrased) is how much and what settings
                    > do I need to allow for in my Tidy.cfg file?

                    > I tried a CTRL+F7 on a file which, given my NoteTab options,
                    > normally produces no error file, outputs tags in upper
                    > case, attributes in lower case, indents tag contents by
                    > 4 characters and, no doubt, various other things which
                    > I take for granted, because I've never seen Tidy do
                    > anything else.

                    I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
                    and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
                    in NoteTab of course, to work for you. Although I haven't researched
                    the configurations it seems the clip produced file is complete.

                    The config file should, once set up properly, make a lot of difference
                    in the contents of Error.txt, that is, unless you're really good and
                    make few mistakes.

                    If you think you might want it, I can also send the Tidycfg clip so you
                    can toy with that.

                    hrs

                    // HTML Tidy configuration file created 10/11/02 @ 10:45:18 with NoteTab Pro
                    error-file: C:\Fookes\ntp\tidy errors.txt
                    add-xml-pi: NO
                    add-xml-decl: NO
                    add-xml-space: NO
                    assume-xml-procins: NO
                    break-before-br: YES
                    char-encoding: ASCII
                    clean: YES
                    doctype: AUTO
                    drop-empty-paras: NO
                    drop-font-tags: YES
                    enclose-text: YES
                    enclose-block-text: YES
                    fix-backslash: YES
                    indent-attributes: no
                    indent-spaces: 0
                    indent: NO
                    input-xml: NO
                    keep-time: NO
                    logical-emphasis: YES
                    markup: YES
                    new-blocklevel-tags: cfoutput, cfquery
                    new-empty-tags: cfelse
                    new-inline-tags: cfif, cfelse, math, mroot, mrow, mi, mn, mo, msqrt,
                    mfrac, msubsup, munderover, munder, mover, mmultiscripts, msup, msub,
                    mtext, mprescripts, mtable, mtr, mtd, mth
                    numeric-entities: NO
                    output-xhtml: NO
                    output-xml: NO
                    quiet: NO
                    quote-ampersand: NO
                    quote-marks: NO
                    quote-nbsp: YES
                    show-warnings: YES
                    split: NO
                    tab-size: 2
                    tidy-mark: YES
                    word-2000: NO
                    wrap-asp: NO
                    wrap-php: NO
                    wrap-script-literals: NO
                    wrap: 000
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                      Hi hrs!

                      > Another voice heard from - opinion only.
                      > I think you are making a faulty assumption about NoteTab having Tidy
                      > configuration parameters built into its code.

                      My assumption isn't quite that, rather the evidence is that if it fails to
                      find a Tidy.cfg it interrogates certain NoteTab options and uses those
                      setting to guide how Tidy performs. In that restricted sense, NoteTab has
                      built-in Tidy parameters.

                      > If you have a config file the defaults are supplanted by the settings in
                      > the config file if settings in the config file differ from the defaults.

                      It's slightly more than that. NoteTab fails to query any of its own
                      settings and runs entirely on Tidy defaults.

                      > NoteTabs only role, I assume, is running Tidy on the file in the focused
                      > tab and creating an error.txt file to help chase down the problems.

                      True!

                      > I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
                      > and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
                      > in NoteTab of course, to work for you.

                      Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had private
                      conversations before. I trust his work!

                      > If you think you might want it, I can also send the Tidycfg clip so you
                      > can toy with that.

                      I'll play with what you've sent before asking for more. I'm busy this week,
                      getting ready for a holiday away from the computer next week. So I may not
                      come back with ant findings for a little while.

                      Greg
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                        > Ed Brown wrote:
                        >
                        > Apparently my version of NoteTab Pro does not have a
                        > Tidy file period. When I try to use it I am told that
                        > it can not find tidy.exe. I would like to be able to
                        > use the HTML Tidy to clean up my HTML. I how do I
                        > place it in NoteTab Pro?
                        >
                        > Ed

                        Ed,

                        If you haven't downloaded Tidy use this first link. You'll find
                        download links for the binaries about halfway down the page on the left.

                        I placed my copy in the NTP main folder, you can put it where you like,
                        NoteTab will ask if you want to find it when you load a html file and
                        press Ctrl+F7.

                        http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

                        hrs

                        These links furnished by Alan C. previously.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 16, 2002
                          Hi hrs,

                          Earlier I said...

                          > > I do have a tidy.cfg configured by the clip donated by 'Grant McKenzie',
                          > > and I'm adding it to this email. You may be able to edit it manually,
                          > > in NoteTab of course, to work for you.
                          >
                          > Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had private
                          > conversations before. I trust his work!

                          I've now had a brief look. As you say, this is _your_ tidy.cfg and doesn't
                          pretend to be the settings used by NoteTab by default, but armed with the
                          tidy documentation, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it to produce the
                          same output as NoteTab does on my machine.

                          Thanks for your input. I'll have to do a bit more playing to get those
                          Atomz tags to work, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

                          Greg
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 16, 2002
                            Hi Greg,

                            >Now there is a task worthy of working on. Grant and I have had
                            >private conversations before. I trust his work!

                            I of course do too, else I would not have recommended him. ;)
                            Perhaps the .cfg file is corrupt by you or whatever and that is
                            why the error.txt file is created.

                            >I'll play with what you've sent before asking for more. I'm busy
                            >this week, getting ready for a holiday away from the computer
                            >next week. So I may not come back with ant findings for a little
                            >while.

                            We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                            know. I would like to run it though to make sure there is not
                            something going amiss in NoteTab. I am not positive about what
                            is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg. I don't now
                            if it it tidy or NoteTab that handles it. I can find out if you
                            want.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                              Hi Jody,

                              > We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                              > know.

                              But that's the whole point! I never had a tidy.cfg (up till the point where
                              I put one carriage return in a test file and called it tidy.cfg and
                              discovered that NoteTab performed differently.)

                              > I am not positive about what
                              > is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg.

                              It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the rest
                              appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.

                              I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so don't expect further
                              "instant" replies to this thread.

                              Greg
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                                > Jody wrote:
                                >
                                > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is
                                > used when there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy
                                > or NoteTab that handles it. I can find out if you want.
                                >
                                > Happy HTML'n!
                                > Jody

                                Hi Jody,

                                If it's not too much trouble, please get us straight on this point.

                                hrs
                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 17, 2002
                                  Hi Alan,

                                  I'll mention it to Eric. He's programming off/on so he
                                  might have not been able to read this thread yet or at all.

                                  > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when
                                  > there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy or NoteTab that
                                  > handles it [or both per NoteTab's optional features.] I can
                                  > find out if you want.
                                  >
                                  > Happy HTML'n!
                                  > Jody

                                  Hi Jody,

                                  If it's not too much trouble, please get us straight on this point.

                                  hrs

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  http://www.notetab.net

                                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 18, 2002
                                    (Oops, this should have gone to YahooGroups and went to hsavage's private
                                    mail instead. Sorry about that.)

                                    Hi hrs,

                                    >I'll mention it to Eric. He's programming off/on so he
                                    >might have not been able to read this thread yet or at all.

                                    Actually, the more I'm programming the less time I spend on e-mail. So if
                                    I'm quiet, it usually means I'm doing a lot of programming <g>. I'm
                                    "multitasking" several big projects (including NoteTab 5.0) right now...

                                    > > I am not positive about what is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when
                                    > > there is not cfg. I don't now if it it tidy or NoteTab that
                                    > > handles it [or both per NoteTab's optional features.] I can
                                    > > find out if you want.

                                    Here's what Help says:

                                    "HTML Tidy accepts a variety of switches to control the way it processes
                                    HTML tags. NoteTab will try to determine the best switches based on the
                                    active document type and the HTML Tag option settings. If you want more
                                    control over the settings, you can create a configuration file for Tidy,
                                    which you should save in the NoteTab folder with the name Tidy.cfg (see the
                                    HTML Tidy instructions for details)."

                                    The kind of things that NoteTab takes into account is your settings for tag
                                    case (upper or lower case), whether to use the XHTML format, and whether
                                    the document is an XML file or not.

                                    Regards,
                                    Eric G.V. Fookes

                                  • Raleigh Way
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 27, 2002
                                      Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
                                      been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
                                      rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
                                      tabs for a table like so:

                                      abc abc abc
                                      abc abc abc
                                      abc abc abc

                                      I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
                                      and BBE will create all the markup for the table.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Raleigh
                                      --
                                    • Ron Woodall
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 28, 2002
                                        Hi Raleigh:

                                        Take a look in the Coding Notes of the Compendium. There is a
                                        study on the various methods of creating tables there.

                                        Ron Woodall

                                        At 07:12 PM 10/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Is there some way to highlight table data in a text file that has
                                        >been tab-spaced or comma-delimited and have NT create the table with
                                        >rows and cells automatically? For example, I can create content with
                                        >tabs for a table like so:
                                        >
                                        >abc abc abc
                                        >abc abc abc
                                        >abc abc abc
                                        >
                                        >I can highlight the above in BBEdit, and select "Convert to Table",
                                        >and BBE will create all the markup for the table.
                                        >
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >
                                        >Raleigh
                                        >--

                                        ---------------------------------------
                                        Ron Woodall
                                        nor@...

                                        The Compendium of HTML Elements

                                        - available at/disponible à:
                                      • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 15, 2003
                                          Greg,

                                          Maybe old news ;-)

                                          I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
                                          You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
                                          you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
                                          configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...

                                          You can see the default values here:

                                          http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

                                          Hugo

                                          Your original post from somewhere in 2002...

                                          > > We won't know unless you post your tidy.cfg file - so do let us
                                          > > know.
                                          >
                                          > But that's the whole point! I never had a tidy.cfg (up till the
                                          point where
                                          > I put one carriage return in a test file and called it tidy.cfg and
                                          > discovered that NoteTab performed differently.)
                                          >
                                          > > I am not positive about what
                                          > > is used with Ctrl+F7 is used when there is not cfg.
                                          >
                                          > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
                                          rest
                                          > appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.
                                          >
                                          > I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so don't expect
                                          further
                                          > "instant" replies to this thread.
                                          >
                                          > Greg
                                        • Greg Chapman
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                            Hi Hugo,

                                            I said...

                                            > > It appears to take certain settings from NoteTab options but the
                                            > > rest appears to be hard coded into NoteTab.

                                            You responded...

                                            > Maybe old news ;-)
                                            >
                                            > I needed a newer version of Tidy, so I visited the sourceforge-pages.
                                            > You had a question about the settings for Tidy. It appears that if
                                            > you don't have a cfg.file, the cleaning is based on the default
                                            > configuration of Tidy. I don't think NoteTab is involved...
                                            >
                                            > You can see the default values here:
                                            >
                                            > http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quikref.html

                                            Thanks for that! I am still using the last Dave Raggett release. Eric did
                                            confirm that some settings are taken from NoteTab options, but was not
                                            specific about which ones, but me saying the rest were hard-coded into
                                            NoteTab was rather misleading, perhaps just plain inaccurate.

                                            I said it because, other than the setting Eric referred to, you can't alter
                                            what TIDY does without adding a TIDY.CFG to your set-up. Once you add one
                                            of those any settings forced by NoteTab are ignored. If TIDY.CFG is silent,
                                            then it uses its default, not the one previously used by NoteTab.

                                            As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The last time I
                                            looked the file was several times bigger than before and added features I
                                            didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been present - I
                                            have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

                                            Greg
                                          • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                              > As a matter of interest, why did you need a later TIDY.EXE? The
                                              last time I
                                              > looked the file was several times bigger than before and added
                                              features I
                                              > didn't require, rather than sorting bugs which might have been
                                              present - I
                                              > have read that it doesn't handle Tables too well?

                                              Hi Greg,

                                              I had to convert a rather big and complicated MS Word-2000 document
                                              from a colleague. As you probably know, the save as html/web page
                                              feature in Word doesn't really create nice pages.

                                              I have tried several fixers for that, and was quite happy with
                                              Martha, a good rtf to html converter
                                              (http://www.cena.dgac.fr/~sagnier/info/formats/conversions/martha_a.ht
                                              m). I remembered however someone on this list mentioning that Tidy
                                              could fix the html-formatting of Word as well, so I tried to find
                                              information to add the necessary settings to my original cfg file.

                                              I used my originals settings for a couple of years, I guess, without
                                              making adaptations to it, and I didn't feel the need to update Tidy
                                              itself.

                                              While I was at the new location for Tidy I decided to try to use a
                                              newer version to see if that would help in fixing the MS-tags-and-
                                              formatting-mess. There are more settings in the latest version, and
                                              indeed, the Word2000 function does a really good job. I configured
                                              the cfg file by using Tidy GUI. Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                                              that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well ---- now I'm
                                              writing this, I wonder if I did install the latest version of Tidy in
                                              my NoteTab folder (I can check that next week).

                                              I have had no problems with my settings - although I was reluctant to
                                              use the new version of Tidy because of reported errors. Maybe they
                                              had to do with conflicting settings in the Tidy configuration, or
                                              perhaps with previous versions of HTML-Tidy itself. To download a
                                              windows executable, you are redirected to Charlie Reitzels page for
                                              tidy-ui (which has some glitches) - but it is very helpful to review
                                              all possible settings in order to create a cfg-file.

                                              http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html

                                              Regards,

                                              Hugo
                                            • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 17, 2003
                                                > Afterwards I located the *.conf in
                                                that folder and moved that to my NoteTab-folder as well

                                                ... Addendum: and renamed it to *.cfg

                                                Hugo