Re: viewing source code

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
      --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
      > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
      > pop-up-ads.

      They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
      count is that this has been the case zero times in the
      thread prior to your message.

      > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
      > belonging to the site you are visiting.

      Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
      have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
      placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
      discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
      from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
      the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
      more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
      cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
      visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
      normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
      including the information as part of the original page. (And
      any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
      users to be able to access the page.)

      > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
      > that to be the actual subject.

      No.

      The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
      window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
      relevant.