Re: [NH] viewing source code

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
      Mike:

      Have a look at:
      IEBooster IEhelper tools (src=LangaList)(free)(ieboostr.zip)
      http://www.paessler.com/

      I noticed this yesterday because this thread was fresh in my mind. Some
      of them might help your investigations of how the pop-ups do what they
      do.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
        Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
        behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
        in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
        resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
        contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
        when you click on an empty part of the screen.

        Hugo

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
          That's it!!

          Thanks for the insite, Hugo.

          The site where I can't get source code with shift+f10 for the popups is the
          site where the pop-up *is* all image. The other site has the image in a
          table with photo credits in another cell, and rightclicking off the image or
          shift+f10 works there.

          I downloaded the IEBooster tools recommended by don Burgess. Their view
          source tool lets me view the source code in all pop-ups so far. The source
          code appears in a new browser window. Now how do they do that? --- No, no,
          I don' really need to know, it works just fine! I imagine the code is
          captured by a script then served to a page. the page is a large ad for the
          company's retail products with the source code in a box. I can stand the
          ads--at least they are honest aboout what's going on. No pop-up ads or
          pop-unders, either!

          http://www.paessler.com/

          I downloaded the
          > Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
          > behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
          > in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
          > resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
          > contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
          > when you click on an empty part of the screen.
          >
          > Hugo

        • Bruce Somers
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
            Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean pop-up-ads.

            "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows belonging to the site
            you are visiting. From the first messages in this thread, I thought that to
            be the actual subject.

            Bruce

          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
              --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
              > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
              > pop-up-ads.

              They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
              count is that this has been the case zero times in the
              thread prior to your message.

              > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
              > belonging to the site you are visiting.

              Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
              have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
              placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
              discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
              from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
              the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
              more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
              cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
              visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
              normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
              including the information as part of the original page. (And
              any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
              users to be able to access the page.)

              > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
              > that to be the actual subject.

              No.

              The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
              window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
              relevant.