Re: [NH] viewing source code

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
      Thank You, Loro and Jay!

      Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick, bringing up a menu
      which is similar to, but somewhat different than the regular right-click
      menu.

      The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my regular right-click
      menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win 98.

      I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I can not view
      source and see if he is using scripts to block the source code. He has
      answered questions from me before.

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
          Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
          behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
          in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
          resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
          contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
          when you click on an empty part of the screen.

          Hugo

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
            That's it!!

            Thanks for the insite, Hugo.

            The site where I can't get source code with shift+f10 for the popups is the
            site where the pop-up *is* all image. The other site has the image in a
            table with photo credits in another cell, and rightclicking off the image or
            shift+f10 works there.

            I downloaded the IEBooster tools recommended by don Burgess. Their view
            source tool lets me view the source code in all pop-ups so far. The source
            code appears in a new browser window. Now how do they do that? --- No, no,
            I don' really need to know, it works just fine! I imagine the code is
            captured by a script then served to a page. the page is a large ad for the
            company's retail products with the source code in a box. I can stand the
            ads--at least they are honest aboout what's going on. No pop-up ads or
            pop-unders, either!

            http://www.paessler.com/

            I downloaded the
            > Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
            > behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
            > in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
            > resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
            > contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
            > when you click on an empty part of the screen.
            >
            > Hugo

          • Bruce Somers
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
              Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean pop-up-ads.

              "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows belonging to the site
              you are visiting. From the first messages in this thread, I thought that to
              be the actual subject.

              Bruce

            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
                > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
                > pop-up-ads.

                They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
                count is that this has been the case zero times in the
                thread prior to your message.

                > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
                > belonging to the site you are visiting.

                Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
                have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
                placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
                discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
                from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
                the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
                more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
                cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
                visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
                normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
                including the information as part of the original page. (And
                any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
                users to be able to access the page.)

                > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
                > that to be the actual subject.

                No.

                The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
                window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
                relevant.