Re: [NH] viewing source code

  • Jay Fenstermacher
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
      Mike;

      Another thing you can try is (left) click inside the popup windows and press
      Shift+F10. This key combination will open the same menu as a right click
      (in-context menu).

      Let me know if this is works for you.

      --JAF--

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
        At 20:19 2002.09.18, Mike wrote:
        >What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking, cntrl+F
        > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
        >programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.

        Right click and Shift+F10 work fine for me in in all browsers I've tried so
        that can't be the case. Is this a specific pop-up you are after? They must
        be running a rightclick script. Disable JavaScript. Or as Greg said, pick
        it up from the cache.

        L.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
          Thank You, Loro and Jay!

          Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick, bringing up a menu
          which is similar to, but somewhat different than the regular right-click
          menu.

          The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my regular right-click
          menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win 98.

          I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I can not view
          source and see if he is using scripts to block the source code. He has
          answered questions from me before.

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike@...

          > What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking,
          cntrl+F
          > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
          > programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
            Mike:

            Have a look at:
            IEBooster IEhelper tools (src=LangaList)(free)(ieboostr.zip)
            http://www.paessler.com/

            I noticed this yesterday because this thread was fresh in my mind. Some
            of them might help your investigations of how the pop-ups do what they
            do.

            Regards ... Alec

            > Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick,
            > bringing up a menu which is similar to, but somewhat different
            > than the regular right-click menu.
            >
            > The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my
            > regular right-click menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win
            > 98.
            >
            > I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I
            > can not view source and see if he is using scripts to block
            > the source code. He has answered questions from me before.
            >
            > Mike Hopkins
            > ironmike@...
          • hugo_paulissen
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
              Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
              behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
              in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
              resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
              contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
              when you click on an empty part of the screen.

              Hugo

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                That's it!!

                Thanks for the insite, Hugo.

                The site where I can't get source code with shift+f10 for the popups is the
                site where the pop-up *is* all image. The other site has the image in a
                table with photo credits in another cell, and rightclicking off the image or
                shift+f10 works there.

                I downloaded the IEBooster tools recommended by don Burgess. Their view
                source tool lets me view the source code in all pop-ups so far. The source
                code appears in a new browser window. Now how do they do that? --- No, no,
                I don' really need to know, it works just fine! I imagine the code is
                captured by a script then served to a page. the page is a large ad for the
                company's retail products with the source code in a box. I can stand the
                ads--at least they are honest aboout what's going on. No pop-up ads or
                pop-unders, either!

                http://www.paessler.com/

                I downloaded the
                > Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
                > behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
                > in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
                > resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
                > contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
                > when you click on an empty part of the screen.
                >
                > Hugo

              • Bruce Somers
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                  Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean pop-up-ads.

                  "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows belonging to the site
                  you are visiting. From the first messages in this thread, I thought that to
                  be the actual subject.

                  Bruce

                • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                    --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
                    > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
                    > pop-up-ads.

                    They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
                    count is that this has been the case zero times in the
                    thread prior to your message.

                    > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
                    > belonging to the site you are visiting.

                    Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
                    have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
                    placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
                    discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
                    from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
                    the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
                    more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
                    cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
                    visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
                    normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
                    including the information as part of the original page. (And
                    any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
                    users to be able to access the page.)

                    > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
                    > that to be the actual subject.

                    No.

                    The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
                    window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
                    relevant.