Re: [NH] viewing source code

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
      Thanks for trying, but this is not a question of *dealing* with pop-ups. I
      do that very well with NoAds 2000, a free pop-up killer from SouthbayPC

      http://www.southbaypc.com/ --see free utilities

      What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking, cntrl+F
      >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
      programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.

      I recently saw a utitlity for downloading the code af a website as a
      seperate download, but it was clunky and expensive.

      The questions still is , how do I look at the code of a pop-up?

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
        Hi Mike,

        > The questions still is , how do I look at the code of a pop-up?

        I haven't tried looking for pop-ups because I so rarely visit sites which
        have them, but when looking for other files I go to my "Temporary Internet
        Files" folder.

        I click the "Last Accessed" column heading so that things are in date order
        (finding files by name is generally an impossible task! - My folder has over
        5000 items in it!) and the files I look for are relatively easy to find, as
        I tend to do it immediately after visiting a site.

        Then it's just a matter of loading them into NoteTab to view the code! :-)

        Greg
      • Jay Fenstermacher
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
          Mike;

          Another thing you can try is (left) click inside the popup windows and press
          Shift+F10. This key combination will open the same menu as a right click
          (in-context menu).

          Let me know if this is works for you.

          --JAF--

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
            At 20:19 2002.09.18, Mike wrote:
            >What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking, cntrl+F
            > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
            >programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.

            Right click and Shift+F10 work fine for me in in all browsers I've tried so
            that can't be the case. Is this a specific pop-up you are after? They must
            be running a rightclick script. Disable JavaScript. Or as Greg said, pick
            it up from the cache.

            L.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
              Thank You, Loro and Jay!

              Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick, bringing up a menu
              which is similar to, but somewhat different than the regular right-click
              menu.

              The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my regular right-click
              menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win 98.

              I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I can not view
              source and see if he is using scripts to block the source code. He has
              answered questions from me before.

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike@...

              > What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking,
              cntrl+F
              > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
              > programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
                Mike:

                Have a look at:
                IEBooster IEhelper tools (src=LangaList)(free)(ieboostr.zip)
                http://www.paessler.com/

                I noticed this yesterday because this thread was fresh in my mind. Some
                of them might help your investigations of how the pop-ups do what they
                do.

                Regards ... Alec

                > Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick,
                > bringing up a menu which is similar to, but somewhat different
                > than the regular right-click menu.
                >
                > The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my
                > regular right-click menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win
                > 98.
                >
                > I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I
                > can not view source and see if he is using scripts to block
                > the source code. He has answered questions from me before.
                >
                > Mike Hopkins
                > ironmike@...
              • hugo_paulissen
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                  Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
                  behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
                  in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
                  resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
                  contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
                  when you click on an empty part of the screen.

                  Hugo

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                    That's it!!

                    Thanks for the insite, Hugo.

                    The site where I can't get source code with shift+f10 for the popups is the
                    site where the pop-up *is* all image. The other site has the image in a
                    table with photo credits in another cell, and rightclicking off the image or
                    shift+f10 works there.

                    I downloaded the IEBooster tools recommended by don Burgess. Their view
                    source tool lets me view the source code in all pop-ups so far. The source
                    code appears in a new browser window. Now how do they do that? --- No, no,
                    I don' really need to know, it works just fine! I imagine the code is
                    captured by a script then served to a page. the page is a large ad for the
                    company's retail products with the source code in a box. I can stand the
                    ads--at least they are honest aboout what's going on. No pop-up ads or
                    pop-unders, either!

                    http://www.paessler.com/

                    I downloaded the
                    > Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
                    > behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
                    > in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
                    > resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
                    > contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
                    > when you click on an empty part of the screen.
                    >
                    > Hugo

                  • Bruce Somers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                      Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean pop-up-ads.

                      "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows belonging to the site
                      you are visiting. From the first messages in this thread, I thought that to
                      be the actual subject.

                      Bruce

                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                        --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
                        > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
                        > pop-up-ads.

                        They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
                        count is that this has been the case zero times in the
                        thread prior to your message.

                        > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
                        > belonging to the site you are visiting.

                        Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
                        have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
                        placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
                        discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
                        from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
                        the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
                        more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
                        cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
                        visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
                        normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
                        including the information as part of the original page. (And
                        any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
                        users to be able to access the page.)

                        > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
                        > that to be the actual subject.

                        No.

                        The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
                        window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
                        relevant.