viewing source code

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
      Can anyone tell me how to view the source code for a pop-up window that has
      no toolbars or menu bars?

      The same question, but for a window in full screen (kiosk) mode?

      This has got to be something simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure
      it out.

      TIA

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
        At 09:10 2002.09.18, Mike wrote:
        >Can anyone tell me how to view the source code for a pop-up window that has
        >no toolbars or menu bars?

        Hi,

        Try right clicking and choose "View source" or similar.

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
          loro wrote:

          º At 09:10 2002.09.18, Mike wrote:
          º
          º Can anyone tell me how to view the source code for a pop-up window
          that has
          º no toolbars or menu bars?
          º
          º Hi,
          º
          º Try right clicking and choose "View source" or similar.
          º
          º Lotta

          Mike, Lotta,

          Lotta, I was hesitant to suggest that method, I thought it really would
          be too simple, but, you can never be sure.

          Mike, Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to deal with popups,
          you should try one of the latest versions of Mozilla.

          It may not eliminate all popups but, I couldn't tell you the last time I
          saw one of them.

          hrs
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
            hsavage wrote:

            > Mike, Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to deal with popups,
            > you should try one of the latest versions of Mozilla.
            >
            > It may not eliminate all popups but, I couldn't tell you the last time I
            > saw one of them.

            FWIW, Opera 6.x also lets you quash popups.

            Scott
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
              Thanks for trying, but this is not a question of *dealing* with pop-ups. I
              do that very well with NoAds 2000, a free pop-up killer from SouthbayPC

              http://www.southbaypc.com/ --see free utilities

              What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking, cntrl+F
              >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
              programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.

              I recently saw a utitlity for downloading the code af a website as a
              seperate download, but it was clunky and expensive.

              The questions still is , how do I look at the code of a pop-up?

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike@...

              > Can anyone tell me how to view the source code for a pop-up window that
              has
              > no toolbars or menu bars?
              >
              > The same question, but for a window in full screen (kiosk) mode?
              >
              > This has got to be something simple, but for the life of me, I can't
              figure
              > it out.
              >
              > TIA
              >
              > Mike Hopkins
              > ironmike@...

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
                Hi Mike,

                > The questions still is , how do I look at the code of a pop-up?

                I haven't tried looking for pop-ups because I so rarely visit sites which
                have them, but when looking for other files I go to my "Temporary Internet
                Files" folder.

                I click the "Last Accessed" column heading so that things are in date order
                (finding files by name is generally an impossible task! - My folder has over
                5000 items in it!) and the files I look for are relatively easy to find, as
                I tend to do it immediately after visiting a site.

                Then it's just a matter of loading them into NoteTab to view the code! :-)

                Greg
              • Jay Fenstermacher
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
                  Mike;

                  Another thing you can try is (left) click inside the popup windows and press
                  Shift+F10. This key combination will open the same menu as a right click
                  (in-context menu).

                  Let me know if this is works for you.

                  --JAF--

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 18, 2002
                    At 20:19 2002.09.18, Mike wrote:
                    >What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking, cntrl+F
                    > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
                    >programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.

                    Right click and Shift+F10 work fine for me in in all browsers I've tried so
                    that can't be the case. Is this a specific pop-up you are after? They must
                    be running a rightclick script. Disable JavaScript. Or as Greg said, pick
                    it up from the cache.

                    L.
                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
                      Thank You, Loro and Jay!

                      Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick, bringing up a menu
                      which is similar to, but somewhat different than the regular right-click
                      menu.

                      The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my regular right-click
                      menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win 98.

                      I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I can not view
                      source and see if he is using scripts to block the source code. He has
                      answered questions from me before.

                      Mike Hopkins
                      ironmike@...

                      > What I want to do is *look at the code* for pop-ups. Right clicking,
                      cntrl+F
                      > >A, etc won't work because the pop-up without a toolbar or menubar has no
                      > programmatic control to access via these shortcuts.
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19, 2002
                        Mike:

                        Have a look at:
                        IEBooster IEhelper tools (src=LangaList)(free)(ieboostr.zip)
                        http://www.paessler.com/

                        I noticed this yesterday because this thread was fresh in my mind. Some
                        of them might help your investigations of how the pop-ups do what they
                        do.

                        Regards ... Alec

                        > Shift+F10 (no right or left click needed) did the trick,
                        > bringing up a menu which is similar to, but somewhat different
                        > than the regular right-click menu.
                        >
                        > The Shift+F10 menu has View Source as an option, but my
                        > regular right-click menu does not. I'm using IE 6.0.26 on Win
                        > 98.
                        >
                        > I will email the webmaster of the one remaining where site I
                        > can not view source and see if he is using scripts to block
                        > the source code. He has answered questions from me before.
                        >
                        > Mike Hopkins
                        > ironmike@...
                      • hugo_paulissen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                          Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
                          behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
                          in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
                          resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
                          contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
                          when you click on an empty part of the screen.

                          Hugo

                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                            That's it!!

                            Thanks for the insite, Hugo.

                            The site where I can't get source code with shift+f10 for the popups is the
                            site where the pop-up *is* all image. The other site has the image in a
                            table with photo credits in another cell, and rightclicking off the image or
                            shift+f10 works there.

                            I downloaded the IEBooster tools recommended by don Burgess. Their view
                            source tool lets me view the source code in all pop-ups so far. The source
                            code appears in a new browser window. Now how do they do that? --- No, no,
                            I don' really need to know, it works just fine! I imagine the code is
                            captured by a script then served to a page. the page is a large ad for the
                            company's retail products with the source code in a box. I can stand the
                            ads--at least they are honest aboout what's going on. No pop-up ads or
                            pop-unders, either!

                            http://www.paessler.com/

                            I downloaded the
                            > Come to think of it, what might be the cause for your right-click-
                            > behaviour is that you click on an image - you'll have no viewsource
                            > in that case. In some cases programmers have the window set in a no-
                            > resize state, so that you can only click on the image itself... The
                            > contextual menu in this case is different from the one you'll get
                            > when you click on an empty part of the screen.
                            >
                            > Hugo

                          • Bruce Somers
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                              Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean pop-up-ads.

                              "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows belonging to the site
                              you are visiting. From the first messages in this thread, I thought that to
                              be the actual subject.

                              Bruce

                            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 23, 2002
                                --- In ntb-html@y..., Bruce Somers <bruce.somers@w...> wrote:
                                > Please friends -- use the term "pop-up-ads" when you mean
                                > pop-up-ads.

                                They have been, where ever advertising was the subject. My
                                count is that this has been the case zero times in the
                                thread prior to your message.

                                > "Pop-ups" could mean legitimate auxiliary windows
                                > belonging to the site you are visiting.

                                Does such a thing exist? I've never seen one. Though, I
                                have seen sites where legitimate content was illegitimately
                                placed into pop-up windows. Are they intentially trying to
                                discourage people from using lesser known web browsers? Or
                                from making a local copy of the page? Or from bookmarking
                                the information? Pop-ups, of any kind, nearly alwasys cause
                                more trouble than they are worth. Actually, I know of no
                                cases at all where a pop-up provides any benefits for the
                                visitor compared to using an appropriate combination of 1)
                                normal HTML links, 2) javascript mouseovers or 3) just
                                including the information as part of the original page. (And
                                any mouseovers have to be done carefully I you want blind
                                users to be able to access the page.)

                                > From the first messages in this thread, I thought
                                > that to be the actual subject.

                                No.

                                The subject was about getting the source code for pop-up
                                window. Whether or not it was advertising was never
                                relevant.