modified SBMH

  • Edwardson Tan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2002
      Am testing a modification of the SBMH (simplified box model
      hack). It's suppose to "correct" the css width bug in
      IE5.x/Win. Could you tell me how the test page below looks
      in your browser? Need to have test results on as many
      browsers and platforms as possible.

      Explanation of the workaround:
      http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modifiedsbmh.html

      test page:
      http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html

      Thanks in advance :-)

      --
      Edwardson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
        Hi Edwardson,

        It all seemed to do what you said it was suppose to in NetCaptor,
        a shell of IE. nite all...

        >test page:
        ><http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html>http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html
        >
        >Thanks in advance :-)

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Edwardson Tan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Edwardson,
          >
          > It all seemed to do what you said it was suppose to in NetCaptor,
          > a shell of IE. nite all...

          ok thanks!

          --
          Edwardson
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
            Edwardson Tan wrote:

            º Am testing a modification of the SBMH (simplified box model
            º hack). It's suppose to "correct" the css width bug in
            º IE5.x/Win. Could you tell me how the test page below looks
            º in your browser? Need to have test results on as many
            º browsers and platforms as possible.
            º
            º Explanation of the workaround:
            º http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modifiedsbmh.html
            º
            º test page:
            º http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html
            º
            º Thanks in advance :-)

            Edwardson,

            Using Mozilla 1.2.b, most current as of Sept. 15, in the pm. The only
            aberration that appeared to me was at the bottom, under Recapitulation,

            The second, blue bar that is supposed to be 'align:justify' is flush
            with the left margin with with quite a bit of (blue, white space) at the
            right margin, less than a full screen-width line.

            I think it's not a matter of not displaying properly, I think there is
            not enough content in that single line for the browser to justify
            correctly, it would look very strange if that line were stretched to a
            full screen line.

            If I decrease or increase the window width the spacing does vary as the
            browser tries to justify.

            I try to keep my browser window at about 800px,

            hrs
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
              Edwardson Tan wrote:
              >Am testing a modification of the SBMH (simplified box model
              >hack).
              <snip>
              >test page:
              >http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html

              Works fine here. Win2K Pro. Tested in IE5, Moz1.0, Moz1.1, K-Mel 0.65,
              Opera 6.05, Opera 6.04, Opera 6.0, Opera 3.60.

              Nice one!

              Lotta
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
                This works fine for me on WinXP Home and IE 6 SP1.

                Also:
                Mozilla 1.0
                Mozilla /5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530

                Also: MSN

                Also: Opera 3.62 and 6.0

                Larry Hamilton
                lmh@...
                http://notlimah.tripod.com/

                Edwardson Tan wrote:
                > Am testing a modification of the SBMH (simplified box model
                > hack). It's suppose to "correct" the css width bug in
                > IE5.x/Win. Could you tell me how the test page below looks
                > in your browser? Need to have test results on as many
                > browsers and platforms as possible.
                >
                > Explanation of the workaround:
                > http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modifiedsbmh.html
                >
                > test page:
                > http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html
                >
                > Thanks in advance :-)
              • Edwardson Tan
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
                  > Using Mozilla 1.2.b, most current as of Sept. 15, in the
                  pm. The only
                  > aberration that appeared to me was at the bottom, under
                  Recapitulation,

                  > The second, blue bar that is supposed to be
                  'align:justify' is flush
                  > with the left margin with with quite a bit of (blue,
                  white space) at the
                  > right margin, less than a full screen-width line.

                  > I think it's not a matter of not displaying properly, I
                  think there is
                  > not enough content in that single line for the browser to
                  justify
                  > correctly, it would look very strange if that line were
                  stretched to a
                  > full screen line.
                  >
                  > If I decrease or increase the window width the spacing
                  does vary as the
                  > browser tries to justify.
                  >
                  > I try to keep my browser window at about 800px,
                  >
                  > hrs

                  Yes, the first two blocks (div.percent0 and div.percent1) in
                  that Recapitulation section don't have enough content to
                  reach the right margin. They're also both flushed against
                  the left gold border since no paddings have been specified.

                  Hey, I didn't know Moz1.2 was out. Am still using Moz1.0.
                  AFAIK it's the most stable one??? I've donwloaded Moz1.1 but
                  don't have a spare machine to install it in right now.

                  Thanks for checking the page :-)

                  --
                  Edwardson
                • Edwardson Tan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
                    loro wrote:
                    > Edwardson Tan wrote:
                    >
                    >>Am testing a modification of the SBMH (simplified box model
                    >>hack).
                    >
                    > <snip>
                    >
                    >>test page:
                    >>http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/modsbmhtest.html
                    >

                    > Works fine here. Win2K Pro. Tested in IE5, Moz1.0,
                    Moz1.1, K-Mel 0.65,
                    > Opera 6.05, Opera 6.04, Opera 6.0, Opera 3.60.
                    >
                    > Nice one!
                    >
                    > Lotta

                    Thanks for checking in so many browsers! From feedback thus
                    far the hack seems to be well received by browsers on the
                    PC. My biggest worry now is IE5.x on the mac. I'm not sure
                    how it reacts to escaped properties ( w\idth and \width).

                    --
                    Edwardson
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
                      º Edwardson Tan wrote:
                      º
                      º Using Mozilla 1.2.b, most current as of Sept. 15, in the
                      º pm.
                      º
                      º
                      º Hey, I didn't know Moz1.2 was out. Am still using Moz1.0.
                      º AFAIK it's the most stable one??? I've downloaded Moz1.1 but
                      º don't have a spare machine to install it in right now.
                      º
                      º Thanks for checking the page :-)

                      Hi E.T.,

                      Moz1.2b is still in beta but right now it's as stable as any version
                      I've tried.

                      I average 2 beta downloads 'nearly' every day, once in a while 3. At
                      the moment there are only 2 minor bugs in it and 1 of them is in v1.0
                      and NS7.

                      Seems to have a problem with certain cookies, but eventually they will
                      figure that out.

                      hrs