Re: Lynx

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2002
      Adam, In the "good ol' days" of the Internet, say 1994, most browsers had
      poor support for graphics, and the best download speed was less than 28.8
      kb/sec. It was common to browse with graphics turned off, and only turn them
      on when you found what you thought you were looking for. Then you would have
      to wait two or three minutes for the graphics to load. Turning graphics off
      today still results in faster download times than with graphics on, although
      all wait times are much less (Ain't DSL great!)

      Those of us who frequently use the internet for information of a
      non-graphical nature find text-only mode faster, and if we need/want to see
      the pictures we can always turn graphics back on. All this is probably just
      a left -over habit, though.

      You are right when you say that Lynx is probably only used regularly for
      speaking browsers and the visually impaired. I use it sometimes, but just
      for the novelty of it.
      Too bad. I think good stuff should be remembered and preserved just for its
      historical value. I wonder if it would be possible to find out how many
      downloads of Lynx have been made this year.