[NH] Re: Lynx

  • jorigami
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2002
      Two replies in one message, so I can answer Lotta and keep this
      on-topic same time :)

      --- In ntb-html@y..., loro <loro@h...> wrote:

      > What is cp850? A DOS thing?

      http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html

      Standards are nice, especially when everyone can have their own! :)

      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Adam Weston" <adam_weston@h...> wrote:

      > Are the people looking at your site going to be using text only
      > browsers...?

      I worked two years for local library, maintaining site with over
      10,000 users a day on average. I bet some of them used Lynx, at
      least I did.

      If your site is full of Flash and graphical content, it's questionable
      if text browser -friendliness is worth the time spent, but even in
      that case I would tell that on the front page. If the main content is
      textual, there is no reason to exclude text browsers. A nice example
      of that (with standard compliant code, which I couldn't do for several
      reasons) is www.alistapart.com - there are some broblems with Lynx
      (JavaScript links) but articles are fully readable.

      > I guess it could be worthwhile to use it to make sure a site will
      > be usable for screen readers or braille output. Other than that,
      > why use Lynx?

      Mainly for the reason you stated, also because Lynx is still the
      fastest browser around.

      Jorma