[NH] CSS, HTML, XHTML ???

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
      Hi Jim, Larry, and All,

      From Jim, Larry and me. Any help, corrects, fill in the blanks?

      HTML
      HTML is an acronym for Hypertext Markup Language and is the set of "markup"
      symbols or codes inserted in a file intended for display on a World Wide Web
      browser. The HTML codes tell the Web browser how to display a Web page's words
      and images for the user. The individual code are referred to as
      elements (but are commonly referred to as tags).

      XML - Extensible Markup Language. ???

      XHTML - ???

      DHTML- Dynamic Hyper Text Markup Language. ???

      SHTML - Secure?? HTML?

      PHTML - ???

      ASP
      ASP is an acronym for Active Server Pages. ASP files, a type of HTML, work with Personal Web Servers (PWS), like a mini ISP which can be used on home computers and act similar a regular ISP.

      CSS - Cascading Style Sheets. Provides web page writers a way of storing
      the presentation of the information in a web page (*.HTML), so that it
      does not have to be coded into each web page. It makes for smaller pages
      and allows for more rapid changes to an entire site, just by changing the
      style sheet(s).

      CGI - Computer Gateway Interface ???? *NOT* sure about this one. ???

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
        Hi All,

        Thanks for the latest Jim - I combined our ASP, but do not know if it is totally correct or maybe redundant?

        HTML
        HTML is an acronym for Hypertext Markup Language and is the set of "markup"
        symbols or codes inserted in a file intended for display on a World Wide Web
        browser. The HTML codes tell the Web browser how to display a Web page's words
        and images for the user. The individual code are referred to as
        elements (but are commonly referred to as tags).

        XML
        XML is an acronym for extensible markup language and is a structured set of
        rules for how one might define any kind of data to be shared on the Web.
        It's called an "extensible" markup language because anyone can invent a
        particular set of markup for a particular purpose and as long as everyone
        uses it (the writer and an application program at the receiver's end), it
        can be adapted and used for many purposes - including, as it happens,
        describing the appearance of a Web page.

        XHTML
        XHTML is an acronym for Extensible Hypertext Markup Language and
        is "a reformulation of HTML 4 as an application of the Extensible Markup
        Language (XML). XHTML is, in fact, the follow-on version of HTML 4. You
        could think of it as HTML 5, except that it is called XHTML 1.0.

        DHTML- Dynamic Hyper Text Markup Language. ???

        SHTML - Secure?? HTML?

        PHTML - ???

        Style Sheets
        Style sheets describe how documents are presented on screens. By attaching
        style sheets to structured documents on the Web (e.g. HTML), authors and
        readers can influence the presentation of documents without sacrificing
        device-independence or adding new HTML tags.

        CSS
        Cascading Style Sheets. Provides web page writers a way of storing the presentation of the information in a web page (*.HTML), so that it does not have to be coded into each web page. It makes for smaller pages and allows for more rapid changes to an entire site, just by changing the style sheet(s). As the term implies, more than one style sheet can be used on the same document, with different levels of importance.

        CGI - Computer Gateway Interface ???? *NOT* sure about this one. ???

        ? ASP
        ASP is an acronym for Application Service Provider and it is also used for Active Server Page. An Active Server Page is an HTML page that includes one or more scripts (small embedded programs) that are processed on a Microsoft Web server before the page is sent to the user. ASP files (.asp) can work with Personal Web Servers (PWS), like a mini ISP which can be used on home computers and act similar a regular ISP.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
          Hi All,

          >CGI - Computer Gateway Interface ???? *NOT* sure about this one. ???

          Got one for CGI - thanks Stefan.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • Colby Glass
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2000
            jody <kjb161-@...> wrote:
            > CGI - Computer Gateway Interface ???? *NOT* sure about this one. ???

            CGI is Common Gateway Interface. This is a function available in HTML
            which allows you to make a page interactive. It usually connects your
            page to a database or other source of information... It is used for
            pages that show current stock prices, changing temperatures, ball game
            scores, that sort of thing. It requires some scripting expertise and
            coordination with your server or ISP. Not something the beginner would
            want to try.

            Colby