Re: [NH] Marking columns in a document.

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2002
      If Iunderstand what you are asking ....

      When you "select" text across multiple lines where top-left is at (say)
      column 10 line 20 and botton-right is at (say) column 30 line 60, even
      though it doesn't look like it from the way the selection is "painted"
      you have "marked" an area 10 columns wide by 40 rows high.

      If you then use <copy block> or <cut block> the rectangular area will
      have been transfered to the clipboard and can be used elsewhere with
      either <paste block> or normal <paste>.

      If you use normal <paste> it pastes the contents NOT as a block but as
      40 lines each of 10 chars.

      Watch out for (a) tabs - they get treated as single characters and (b)
      lines that are less than (in the example above) 30 characters. Results
      will probably NOT be what you want.

      Is that what you were after ... or did you already know that ... in
      which case I'm at sea.

      Just noticed this is posted in the [NH] list so probably this response
      is total ka-ka ;-)

      Regards ... Alec