page heading

  • Neil Felton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2002
      Hi all, I've been following the hyphen debate.....
      Something different, if anyone can help me. I use tables for the basic
      formating of a page and in this instance have the heading or top banner
      in a table of its own.
      Question : If a heading consists of one image - simple design with
      lettering in the form of a gif. I make the image 'about' the right size
      but need to be able to fit it neatly to the width of the window/ table.
      I sometimes get the image creeping over the screen window, making it
      scroll sideways - not what I want.... I'm getting to the question.... I
      haven't been using CSS for width and height measurements, still using
      WIDTH =n or WIDTH=%n, and not getting it right. Is there a way I can
      constrain the image to the size of the window/ table?
      Neil, watching on from afar
      New Zealand
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2002
        Hi Neil:

        A quick comment and I've got to go: Is it necessary for you to fix
        the location of your image? The first thing I do when I view a site is to
        resize the window to make the line lengths short enough to read quickly. I
        try to make it two eye movements wide. This typically means that I don't
        get to read most sites because they "fix" the line length too long. I run
        an 1152x876 screen and the browser seldom fills more than 2/3 of the screen
        width. If you resize your site, can people still read it without scrolling?

        Ron Woodall

        At 06:24 AM 8/15/02 +1200, you wrote:
        >Hi all, I've been following the hyphen debate.....
        >Something different, if anyone can help me. I use tables for the basic
        >formating of a page and in this instance have the heading or top banner
        >in a table of its own.
        >Question : If a heading consists of one image - simple design with
        >lettering in the form of a gif. I make the image 'about' the right size
        >but need to be able to fit it neatly to the width of the window/ table.
        >I sometimes get the image creeping over the screen window, making it
        >scroll sideways - not what I want.... I'm getting to the question.... I
        >haven't been using CSS for width and height measurements, still using
        >WIDTH =n or WIDTH=%n, and not getting it right. Is there a way I can
        >constrain the image to the size of the window/ table?
        >Neil, watching on from afar
        >New Zealand

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • john041650
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2002
          Hi Neil,

          Besides the other suggestions you are getting here, you might want to set your table cellspacing and cellpadding attributes to 0 (using html), or do the equivalent margin and padding settings using CSS..

          You also may want to remove any line breaks in your code between the opening <td> and closing </td> tags.

          A simple example of doing so with html would be:

          John