Re: unbreakable hyphen [NH]

  • Paul Lucas
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
      One thing to remember about the <nobr></nobr> tag is that even though it
      currently seems to work in most browsers because it is not a part of any
      standard it could suddenly cease to be supported without notice in the future.

      More important is that no document containing the <nobr> tag will ever be
      able to pass the W3C validation test (http://validator.w3.org/) for HTML
      4.01 or XHTML - not even at the loose, transitional level which "includes
      presentation attributes and elements that W3C expects to phase out as
      support for style sheets matures". Thus it cannot be used in any document
      on any site which needs to be standards compliant such as a federal
      government web site.

      If you really must you can achieve the same thing by using non-breaking
      spaces ( ) between all of the words that need to be on the same line
      and although the markup will look ugly it will pass the W3C HTML or XHTML
      validation tests.

      In general though it is not usually a good idea to try to force
      presentation onto content as what looks nice on a pc/browser may not work
      so well with an audible screen reader or a braille browser and enforced
      long lines can be really messy on PDAs and web enabled cell phones with
      three inch square screens.

      -Paul

      At 8/13/02 05:30 AM, you wrote:
      > >In fact NOBR was never part of any specification but has been around for
      > >ever and is understood by most (all?) browsers.
      >
      > The <.NOBR> trick is included in the Compendium's coding notes.
      >NOBR was one of the original elements pre-WWW standards. We used to just
      >call it HTML. It's still not part of the standards that I can find but is
      >one of those "heritage" elements. If anyone stops supporting it, it will be
      >Mozilla 5+/Netscape 6+ first, since these both profess stringent standards
      >adherence. Most everyone else is following MSIE's element list.
      >
      > The moral of the story -- even <.NOBR> is suspect and may enjoy
      >increasingly limited support.
      >
      > Good luck. When you figure this one out, let me know. I'd like to
      >include it on my hyphenation page.
      >
      > Ron Woodall
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
        IMHO, you really do want to stick to the standard set
        of W3-approved HTML tags for whatever version of HTML
        you're coding to. Avoid browser-specific extensions
        like the plague... Please!!

        Having said this, remember that the <td> and <th>
        tags do accept the nowrap option, which is W3-approved
        and does pretty much the same thing as <nobr>.

        Regards,

        Scott

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
          At 17:52 2002.08.13, Paul Lucas wrote:
          >If you really must you can achieve the same thing by using non-breaking
          >spaces ( ) between all of the words that need to be on the same line
          >and although the markup will look ugly it will pass the W3C HTML or XHTML
          >validation tests.

          The problem is that this doesn't always work. As for what Fay wanted, an
          unbreakable hyphen. The only hyphen like character I know that doesn't
          break is the minus sign (− or −) but since Fay wants to support
          Netscape 4 that one is out too...

          Lotta
        • Ron Woodall
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
            At 05:43 AM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:

            >The problem is that this doesn't always work. As for what Fay wanted, an
            >unbreakable hyphen. The only hyphen like character I know that doesn't
            >break is the minus sign (− or −) but since Fay wants to support
            >Netscape 4 that one is out too...

            The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
            properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
            en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
            at all.

            Well, it appears that we have a solution for recent technology.
            Thanks for pointing this out Lotta.

            Ron Woodall

            ---------------------------------------
            Ron Woodall
            nor@...

            The Compendium of HTML Elements

            - available at/disponible à:
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
              At 15:55 2002.08.14, Ron Woodall wrote:
              > The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
              >properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
              >en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
              >at all.

              That's interesting. What version of IE do you have? I run IE5 on 2K and the
              minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
              higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
              en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
              "-" inserted with the key board.

              On a side note, in both CSS1 and 2 specifications it says that the
              white-space property only applies to block level elements. I learnt
              recently that this is wrong (which is good). It applies to all elements
              which is also stated in the errata (both specs). But who reads those? Now
              when they have published a working draft for CSS2.1 this is clearly stated
              under "Changes":

              "Section 16.6 Whitespace: the 'white-space' property
              The 'white-space' property applies to all elements, not just block-level
              elements."
              http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/changes.html#q29

              Great. But in the property description it still says:

              "Applies to: block-level elements"
              http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/text.html#propdef-white-space

              Err...hope they notice before this one is made permanent.

              White-space and hyphens - what a mess! And then we haven't even mentioned
              ­ ;-)

              Lotta
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                Lotta, Ron,

                > Ron Woodall wrote:
                >
                >> The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                >>properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                >>en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                >>at all.
                > loro wrote:
                > That's interesting. What version of IE do you have? I run IE5 on 2K and the
                > minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
                > higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
                > en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
                > "-" inserted with the key board.

                Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                show different results than Netscape 4.x, which would be different than
                the discrepancies on Win 9x between the browsers.

                For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                would not support them.
                I even had to remove € (Euro) from some important pages and put
                back EUR there -- Netscape on Mac would show the literal € ...

                Although it is possible, even on a western PC, to show Arabic text in a
                browser, I have seen many Arabic websites that settle for just --
                _graphics_!

                All this is still to come -- hopefully.

                Rudi
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                  Hi Rudolf!

                  >Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                  >system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                  >found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                  Don't know. I haven't thought about this earlier. Courier New and Arial
                  render the minus much the same in IE5 and Moz 1.0 for me. Opera differs.
                  Could be OS or service packs too, I guess.

                  >There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                  >show different results

                  Yeah, IE5 Mac is a totally different, and I hear better, rendering engine.
                  The man who's responsible for it was also the one who first figured out a
                  CSS "hack" for IE Win's broken box model - that figures!

                  >For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                  >clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                  >Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                  >would not support them.

                  I remember - where's that page gone? Someone on this list asked for it not
                  long ago. To me this whole unicode thing is still confusing and scary.
                  Guess it takes a while to get used to.

                  Lotta
                • Rudolf Horbas
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                    Hi Lotta and all,

                    > I remember - where's that page gone? Someone on this list asked for it not
                    > long ago.

                    Oops, seems I'm not following the list close enough. I just checked --
                    seems the provider deleted it, though I'm still paying (they were taken
                    over by another company couple weeks ago) :-( .
                    But there's got to be a backup disk somewhere, wait ... (rustle, rustle,
                    fiddle, shove...) It's online again, at my new provider (I've got to
                    remember to give the other one the boot):
                    http://www.hypotext.de/unicode/

                    Hope everything's where it's supposed to be. It's all plain static HTML,
                    though I'm planning re-doing this with php/MySql (easier to maintain)
                    one day.

                    Strange: A lot of the icons appear in the wrong places ... I'll have to
                    figure that out. Meanwhile, just trust the characters that Your browsers
                    can render ...

                    > To me this whole unicode thing is still confusing and scary.
                    > Guess it takes a while to get used to.

                    Aw, don't be scared! :-)
                    I wouldn't get used to it too much yet, though, because many of these
                    characters are not properly supported yet ...

                    G'night,
                    Rudi
                  • Ron Woodall
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                      Hi Lotta:

                      At 05:06 PM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:
                      >At 15:55 2002.08.14, Ron Woodall wrote:
                      > > The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                      > >properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                      > >en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                      > >at all.
                      >
                      >That's interesting. What version of IE do you have?

                      Running MSIE 5.0 and 6.0. My 5.5 got killed when I upgraded one of
                      my garbage systems.

                      > I run IE5 on 2K and the
                      >minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
                      >higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
                      >en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
                      >"-" inserted with the key board.
                      >
                      >On a side note, in both CSS1 and 2 specifications it says that the
                      >white-space property only applies to block level elements. I learnt
                      >recently that this is wrong (which is good). It applies to all elements
                      >which is also stated in the errata (both specs). But who reads those? Now
                      >when they have published a working draft for CSS2.1 this is clearly stated
                      >under "Changes":

                      Is this actually correct? When you apply "white space" to in-line
                      elements, they inherit the spacing from the parent. Imposing spacing
                      changes on in-line elements may produce some very undesirable results.
                      Comments?

                      >"Section 16.6 Whitespace: the 'white-space' property
                      >The 'white-space' property applies to all elements, not just block-level
                      >elements."
                      >http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/changes.html#q29
                      >
                      >Great. But in the property description it still says:
                      >
                      >"Applies to: block-level elements"
                      >http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/text.html#propdef-white-space

                      I'd wait a bit longer before referencing 2.1. There are still some
                      gyrations to go through ( I think.)

                      >Err...hope they notice before this one is made permanent.

                      Don't depend on it. Write them and tell them about it. There
                      should be a mailto somewhere on the document.

                      >White-space and hyphens - what a mess! And then we haven't even mentioned
                      >­ ;-)

                      Big problem here. Using the & #173; requires the use of a
                      hyphenation dictionary. Which one?

                      Ron Woodall

                      ---------------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                        Hi Rudolph and Lotta and Congregation:

                        At 07:15 PM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:

                        >Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                        >system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                        >found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                        Several points here: yes, every font is different and there are
                        even differences from one font size to another. Alot depends on the
                        placement of the pixels when the font is rendered. If the hyphen character
                        renders perfectly across a two pixel wide horizontal row, it will be quite
                        dominant. However, if the character renders only over one row and is
                        aliased across the pixel rows above and below, it will seem somewhat
                        feeble. Here's a test: take this message and carefully scroll the scrollbar
                        up or down one pixel. Careful don't sneeze or breath. At some point this
                        pair of hyphens "--" will seem distorted. This will be more easily
                        recognized in larger fonts but more dramatic on smaller fonts, magnified.

                        >There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                        >show different results than Netscape 4.x, which would be different than
                        >the discrepancies on Win 9x between the browsers.

                        Big time! There will even be differences from system to system.
                        The change of a video card or a monitor makes a difference. I have a
                        ViewSonic E773 on one video card and a pair of Optiquest Q71s on two other
                        video cards. All of the video cards are identical. There is a slight
                        difference between the ViewSonic and the Optiquests but not much between
                        the two Optiquests. Technologically the ViewSonic and Optiquests are identical.

                        >For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                        >clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                        >Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                        >would not support them.
                        >I even had to remove € (Euro) from some important pages and put
                        >back EUR there -- Netscape on Mac would show the literal € ...

                        Welcome to the frustrating world of browsers. You haven't seen the
                        half of it.

                        Ron Woodall

                        ---------------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                          At 15:42 2002.08.15, Ron Woodall wrote:
                          > Is this actually correct? When you apply "white space" to in-line
                          >elements, they inherit the spacing from the parent. Imposing spacing
                          >changes on in-line elements may produce some very undesirable results.
                          >Comments?

                          Yes, because it's legit (and has been all the dame damn' them) to write

                          .nobr { white-space: nowrap }
                          blah blah <span class="nobr">Rigby-Smythe</span> blah blah

                          >I'd wait a bit longer before referencing 2.1. There are still some
                          >gyrations to go through ( I think.)

                          It's in the old errata. It has been permitted all the time. The browsers
                          apply it to in-line content too there is no problem really.
                          Section 16.6 here:
                          http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html