Re: unbreakable hyphen and mdash [NH]

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
      Thank you, everyone. I can now write e-mail instead of settling for email!

      Did you know that — doesn't work in NS4? It reads on the page as

      For NS4 you have to write —
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2002
        Hi Fay:

        At 11:03 AM 8/13/02 +1000, you wrote:

        >Did you know that — doesn't work in NS4? It reads on the page as
        >—
        >For NS4 you have to write —

        Actually, use – (endash, nutt) and — (emdash, mutt)
        rather than —. "151" is part of the reserved control sequence under ISO
        8859-1. Mose older browsers will still render it and some of the new ones
        but — and – both, have a limited life expectancy. NS4 does
        recognize — and – and will still recognize 151 and 150 and
        Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 still recognize all of them.

        This is all documented in the Compendium --> Notes --> Reference
        Notes --> Entities. There are also links there to other references as well.

        I hope this helps.

        Ron Woodall

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2002
          Thank you. I'll remember. It's a shame that I have about a million m dashes
          through my pages, all done with the — thingy! I'll have to let them
          stand for a while, because I need to do a few real life things, but I'll fix
          them fairly soon.