Re: unbreakable hyphen [NH]

  • john041650
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
      Hello Fay,

      Just enclose a regular hyphen (or any other text) that you do not want to wrap inside of the following tags:

      <nobr>The text between these tags will not allow line breaks to be inserted</nobr>

      John :)

      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
      > I've worked out how to make a link back and forth between page and printable
      > page, but I still don't know how to make an unbreakable hyphen. Does anyone
      > know, please?
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
        "<.NOBR>string of words and/or characters</NOBR>: forces the words and/or
        characters between the tags not to break, even at the end of a line, but
        rather to remain altogether on the same line."

        Above from Ted's Comprehensive HTML Tutorial at:
        http://members.aol.com/MonT714/tutorial/index.html

        The "companion" to <.NOBR> is <.WBR></WBR> (with break) which tells a
        browser it may -- but does not require it to -- break in a word or phrase.
        It is then left up to the browser where to break the word.

        And, of course. the standard disclaimer "Not all browsers....": does apply.

        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike@...

        > I've worked out how to make a link back and forth between page and
        printable
        > page, but I still don't know how to make an unbreakable hyphen. Does
        anyone
        > know, please?

      • Adam Weston
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
          Fay, try – or —
          I think the browser will not break at one of those characters.

          a list of these can be found at:
          http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/

          .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
          : Adam Weston :
          : adam_weston@... :
          `~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
            Correct tag, John, but to make <.NOBR> work _for sure_ with a hyphen the
            entire {word-hyphen-word} unit probably should be included between the
            tags, not just the hyphen itself, i.e., <.NOBR>anti-everything</NOBR>.

            Oh, and use the hyphen when you mean hyphen and dash when you mean dash.
            HTML gives entity codes to both the the em-dash (—) and en-dash
            (–) as well as the hyphen (-) and good browsers should render them
            differently, although some browsers don't know the difference.

            Mike
            ironmike@...
            ________________________________

            Previously, John told Fay:

            > Just enclose a regular hyphen (or any other text) that you do not want to
            wrap inside of the following tags:

            > <nobr>The text between these tags will not allow line breaks to be
            inserted</nobr>

            > --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
            > > I've worked out how to make a link back and forth between page and
            printable
            > > page, but I still don't know how to make an unbreakable hyphen. Does
            anyone
            > > know, please?
          • john041650
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
              Ahh, you are right of course Mike, a single character between those <nobr></nobr> tags wouldn't be very effective would it? I knew I should have thought a little more before pounding out an answer to Fay, thanks for the correction.

              John :)

              --- In ntb-html@y..., "Mike" <ironmike@i...> wrote:
              > Correct tag, John, but to make <.NOBR> work _for sure_ with a hyphen the
              > entire {word-hyphen-word} unit probably should be included between the
              > tags, not just the hyphen itself, i.e., <.NOBR>anti-everything</NOBR>.
              >
              > Oh, and use the hyphen when you mean hyphen and dash when you mean dash.
              > HTML gives entity codes to both the the em-dash (—) and en-dash
              > (–) as well as the hyphen (-) and good browsers should render them
              > differently, although some browsers don't know the difference.
              >
              > Mike
              > ironmike@i...
              > ________________________________
              >
              > Previously, John told Fay:
              >
              > > Just enclose a regular hyphen (or any other text) that you do not want to
              > wrap inside of the following tags:
              > >
              > > <nobr>The text between these tags will not allow line breaks to be
              > inserted</nobr>
              >
              > > --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
              > > > I've worked out how to make a link back and forth between page and
              > printable
              > > > page, but I still don't know how to make an unbreakable hyphen. Does
              > anyone
              > > > know, please?
            • Paul Lucas
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
                I have noticed that some posts in this thread recommend using the
                <nobr></nobr> tags while others refer to <.NOBR></NOBR> instead. I have
                used the <nobr></nobr> combination before but have sometimes seen code
                validators refer to it as deprecated (i.e. on the way out).

                I am not familiar with the <.NOBR></NOBR> pair though. I assume you could
                use lowercase instead of capitals or there would definitely be a problem
                with (X)HTML but I have never seen a valid tag that started with a period.
                Is this something new or maybe a typo?

                -Paul

                At 8/12/02 11:37 AM, you wrote:
                >Ahh, you are right of course Mike, a single character between those
                ><nobr></nobr> tags wouldn't be very effective would it? I knew I should
                >have thought a little more before pounding out an answer to Fay, thanks
                >for the correction.
                >
                >John :)
                >

                >--- In ntb-html@y..., "Mike" <ironmike@i...> wrote:
                > > Correct tag, John, but to make <.NOBR> work _for sure_ with a hyphen the
                > > entire {word-hyphen-word} unit probably should be included between the
                > > tags, not just the hyphen itself, i.e., <.NOBR>anti-everything</NOBR>.
                > >
                > > Oh, and use the hyphen when you mean hyphen and dash when you mean dash.
                > > HTML gives entity codes to both the the em-dash (—) and en-dash
                > > (–) as well as the hyphen (-) and good browsers should render them
                > > differently, although some browsers don't know the difference.
                > >
                > > Mike
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
                  When you see a <.tag> listing on a newslist it is because some newsreaders
                  attempt to render HTML tags as if they were part of the source code for the
                  message -- not part of the text of the message. The dot breaks the HTML
                  format so the text is rendered as intended in all newsreaders. The dot is
                  also used to break the format of scripting language code so no attempt is
                  made to execute rather than render the code.

                  As for capitalized vs. uncapitalized HTML tags, I capitalize in text so the
                  tag stands out. I use lower case and xhtml standards in all actual coding.

                  I'm not surprised that the <.NOBR> tag is listed as depricated. CSS would
                  seem to be a better solution, but the depricated tags will still be
                  recognized for a long time, I think. Sometimes they represent a quick,
                  straight-forward way to get something done.

                  Most of the references I have at hand are circa 1998 -- almost antiques in
                  the world of computers and the internet. In 1998 we were strugling just to
                  understand what CSS was and had very little sophistication in its use. HTML
                  4.0 was brand new, and IE4/NS4 were the most advanced browsers.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    Hi Fay and others,

                    At 08:35 2002.08.13, Mike wrote:
                    >As for capitalized vs. uncapitalized HTML tags, I capitalize in text so the
                    >tag stands out.

                    Me too. Nothing like upper case in email. :-)

                    In fact NOBR was never part of any specification but has been around for
                    ever and is understood by most (all?) browsers. It's probably still the
                    most cross-browser way of doing it. I know Opera (that isn't that true to
                    standards at all) recognizes it and so does Mozilla, even in Standards
                    Mode. Don't know about IE6 but I assume it works.

                    I just have to vent how much hate it that they haven't included an inline
                    NOBR element in HTML. It should be there for the same reason PRE is still
                    there. Sometimes white-space is structural or semantic and should be
                    rendered even without CSS. Not even  -  holds together. Grrrrr!

                    The CSS equivalent to NOBR, "white-space: nowrap", of course doesn't work
                    in Netscape 4 but worse is that it doesn't work in IE5 either.

                    So Fay, if you want it to hold together you probably have to break the
                    rules and use NOBR as others already have suggested.

                    Lotta
                  • Ron Woodall
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      Hi Fay and others:

                      At 10:30 AM 8/13/02 +0200, you wrote:

                      >In fact NOBR was never part of any specification but has been around for
                      >ever and is understood by most (all?) browsers.

                      The <.NOBR> trick is included in the Compendium's coding notes.
                      NOBR was one of the original elements pre-WWW standards. We used to just
                      call it HTML. It's still not part of the standards that I can find but is
                      one of those "heritage" elements. If anyone stops supporting it, it will be
                      Mozilla 5+/Netscape 6+ first, since these both profess stringent standards
                      adherence. Most everyone else is following MSIE's element list.

                      The moral of the story -- even <.NOBR> is suspect and may enjoy
                      increasingly limited support.

                      Good luck. When you figure this one out, let me know. I'd like to
                      include it on my hyphenation page.

                      Ron Woodall

                      ---------------------------------------
                      Ron Woodall
                      nor@...

                      The Compendium of HTML Elements

                      - available at/disponible à:
                    • Paul Lucas
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        One thing to remember about the <nobr></nobr> tag is that even though it
                        currently seems to work in most browsers because it is not a part of any
                        standard it could suddenly cease to be supported without notice in the future.

                        More important is that no document containing the <nobr> tag will ever be
                        able to pass the W3C validation test (http://validator.w3.org/) for HTML
                        4.01 or XHTML - not even at the loose, transitional level which "includes
                        presentation attributes and elements that W3C expects to phase out as
                        support for style sheets matures". Thus it cannot be used in any document
                        on any site which needs to be standards compliant such as a federal
                        government web site.

                        If you really must you can achieve the same thing by using non-breaking
                        spaces ( ) between all of the words that need to be on the same line
                        and although the markup will look ugly it will pass the W3C HTML or XHTML
                        validation tests.

                        In general though it is not usually a good idea to try to force
                        presentation onto content as what looks nice on a pc/browser may not work
                        so well with an audible screen reader or a braille browser and enforced
                        long lines can be really messy on PDAs and web enabled cell phones with
                        three inch square screens.

                        -Paul

                        At 8/13/02 05:30 AM, you wrote:
                        > >In fact NOBR was never part of any specification but has been around for
                        > >ever and is understood by most (all?) browsers.
                        >
                        > The <.NOBR> trick is included in the Compendium's coding notes.
                        >NOBR was one of the original elements pre-WWW standards. We used to just
                        >call it HTML. It's still not part of the standards that I can find but is
                        >one of those "heritage" elements. If anyone stops supporting it, it will be
                        >Mozilla 5+/Netscape 6+ first, since these both profess stringent standards
                        >adherence. Most everyone else is following MSIE's element list.
                        >
                        > The moral of the story -- even <.NOBR> is suspect and may enjoy
                        >increasingly limited support.
                        >
                        > Good luck. When you figure this one out, let me know. I'd like to
                        >include it on my hyphenation page.
                        >
                        > Ron Woodall
                      • Scott Fordin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          IMHO, you really do want to stick to the standard set
                          of W3-approved HTML tags for whatever version of HTML
                          you're coding to. Avoid browser-specific extensions
                          like the plague... Please!!

                          Having said this, remember that the <td> and <th>
                          tags do accept the nowrap option, which is W3-approved
                          and does pretty much the same thing as <nobr>.

                          Regards,

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            At 17:52 2002.08.13, Paul Lucas wrote:
                            >If you really must you can achieve the same thing by using non-breaking
                            >spaces ( ) between all of the words that need to be on the same line
                            >and although the markup will look ugly it will pass the W3C HTML or XHTML
                            >validation tests.

                            The problem is that this doesn't always work. As for what Fay wanted, an
                            unbreakable hyphen. The only hyphen like character I know that doesn't
                            break is the minus sign (− or −) but since Fay wants to support
                            Netscape 4 that one is out too...

                            Lotta
                          • Ron Woodall
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                              At 05:43 AM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:

                              >The problem is that this doesn't always work. As for what Fay wanted, an
                              >unbreakable hyphen. The only hyphen like character I know that doesn't
                              >break is the minus sign (− or −) but since Fay wants to support
                              >Netscape 4 that one is out too...

                              The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                              properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                              en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                              at all.

                              Well, it appears that we have a solution for recent technology.
                              Thanks for pointing this out Lotta.

                              Ron Woodall

                              ---------------------------------------

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                                At 15:55 2002.08.14, Ron Woodall wrote:
                                > The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                                >properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                                >en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                                >at all.

                                That's interesting. What version of IE do you have? I run IE5 on 2K and the
                                minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
                                higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
                                en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
                                "-" inserted with the key board.

                                On a side note, in both CSS1 and 2 specifications it says that the
                                white-space property only applies to block level elements. I learnt
                                recently that this is wrong (which is good). It applies to all elements
                                which is also stated in the errata (both specs). But who reads those? Now
                                when they have published a working draft for CSS2.1 this is clearly stated
                                under "Changes":

                                "Section 16.6 Whitespace: the 'white-space' property
                                The 'white-space' property applies to all elements, not just block-level
                                elements."
                                http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/changes.html#q29

                                Great. But in the property description it still says:

                                "Applies to: block-level elements"
                                http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/text.html#propdef-white-space

                                Err...hope they notice before this one is made permanent.

                                White-space and hyphens - what a mess! And then we haven't even mentioned
                                ­ ;-)

                                Lotta
                              • Rudolf Horbas
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                                  Lotta, Ron,

                                  > Ron Woodall wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                                  >>properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                                  >>en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                                  >>at all.
                                  > loro wrote:
                                  > That's interesting. What version of IE do you have? I run IE5 on 2K and the
                                  > minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
                                  > higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
                                  > en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
                                  > "-" inserted with the key board.

                                  Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                                  system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                                  found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                                  There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                                  show different results than Netscape 4.x, which would be different than
                                  the discrepancies on Win 9x between the browsers.

                                  For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                                  clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                                  Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                                  would not support them.
                                  I even had to remove € (Euro) from some important pages and put
                                  back EUR there -- Netscape on Mac would show the literal € ...

                                  Although it is possible, even on a western PC, to show Arabic text in a
                                  browser, I have seen many Arabic websites that settle for just --
                                  _graphics_!

                                  All this is still to come -- hopefully.

                                  Rudi
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                                    Hi Rudolf!

                                    >Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                                    >system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                                    >found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                                    Don't know. I haven't thought about this earlier. Courier New and Arial
                                    render the minus much the same in IE5 and Moz 1.0 for me. Opera differs.
                                    Could be OS or service packs too, I guess.

                                    >There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                                    >show different results

                                    Yeah, IE5 Mac is a totally different, and I hear better, rendering engine.
                                    The man who's responsible for it was also the one who first figured out a
                                    CSS "hack" for IE Win's broken box model - that figures!

                                    >For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                                    >clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                                    >Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                                    >would not support them.

                                    I remember - where's that page gone? Someone on this list asked for it not
                                    long ago. To me this whole unicode thing is still confusing and scary.
                                    Guess it takes a while to get used to.

                                    Lotta
                                  • Rudolf Horbas
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 14, 2002
                                      Hi Lotta and all,

                                      > I remember - where's that page gone? Someone on this list asked for it not
                                      > long ago.

                                      Oops, seems I'm not following the list close enough. I just checked --
                                      seems the provider deleted it, though I'm still paying (they were taken
                                      over by another company couple weeks ago) :-( .
                                      But there's got to be a backup disk somewhere, wait ... (rustle, rustle,
                                      fiddle, shove...) It's online again, at my new provider (I've got to
                                      remember to give the other one the boot):
                                      http://www.hypotext.de/unicode/

                                      Hope everything's where it's supposed to be. It's all plain static HTML,
                                      though I'm planning re-doing this with php/MySql (easier to maintain)
                                      one day.

                                      Strange: A lot of the icons appear in the wrong places ... I'll have to
                                      figure that out. Meanwhile, just trust the characters that Your browsers
                                      can render ...

                                      > To me this whole unicode thing is still confusing and scary.
                                      > Guess it takes a while to get used to.

                                      Aw, don't be scared! :-)
                                      I wouldn't get used to it too much yet, though, because many of these
                                      characters are not properly supported yet ...

                                      G'night,
                                      Rudi
                                    • Ron Woodall
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                                        Hi Lotta:

                                        At 05:06 PM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:
                                        >At 15:55 2002.08.14, Ron Woodall wrote:
                                        > > The problem with this solution is that MSIE 5+ recognizes −
                                        > >properly and handles it properly. However, Mozilla 5/Netscape 6 inserts an
                                        > >en-dash (nutt) rather than a hyphen. Netscape 4.73 doesn't recognize −
                                        > >at all.
                                        >
                                        >That's interesting. What version of IE do you have?

                                        Running MSIE 5.0 and 6.0. My 5.5 got killed when I upgraded one of
                                        my garbage systems.

                                        > I run IE5 on 2K and the
                                        >minus looks exactly as in Moz. Same length as an en-dash but a little
                                        >higher up - rather ugly. In Opera the minus is a little longer than the
                                        >en-dash (or rather the en-dash is short) and both are rendered lower than a
                                        >"-" inserted with the key board.
                                        >
                                        >On a side note, in both CSS1 and 2 specifications it says that the
                                        >white-space property only applies to block level elements. I learnt
                                        >recently that this is wrong (which is good). It applies to all elements
                                        >which is also stated in the errata (both specs). But who reads those? Now
                                        >when they have published a working draft for CSS2.1 this is clearly stated
                                        >under "Changes":

                                        Is this actually correct? When you apply "white space" to in-line
                                        elements, they inherit the spacing from the parent. Imposing spacing
                                        changes on in-line elements may produce some very undesirable results.
                                        Comments?

                                        >"Section 16.6 Whitespace: the 'white-space' property
                                        >The 'white-space' property applies to all elements, not just block-level
                                        >elements."
                                        >http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/changes.html#q29
                                        >
                                        >Great. But in the property description it still says:
                                        >
                                        >"Applies to: block-level elements"
                                        >http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/text.html#propdef-white-space

                                        I'd wait a bit longer before referencing 2.1. There are still some
                                        gyrations to go through ( I think.)

                                        >Err...hope they notice before this one is made permanent.

                                        Don't depend on it. Write them and tell them about it. There
                                        should be a mailto somewhere on the document.

                                        >White-space and hyphens - what a mess! And then we haven't even mentioned
                                        >­ ;-)

                                        Big problem here. Using the & #173; requires the use of a
                                        hyphenation dictionary. Which one?

                                        Ron Woodall

                                        ---------------------------------------

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                                          Hi Rudolph and Lotta and Congregation:

                                          At 07:15 PM 8/14/02 +0200, you wrote:

                                          >Is it possible that the rendering depends on the fonts installed on Your
                                          >system? When I played around with unicode fonts a couple months ago, I
                                          >found that many do not contain all the possible types.

                                          Several points here: yes, every font is different and there are
                                          even differences from one font size to another. Alot depends on the
                                          placement of the pixels when the font is rendered. If the hyphen character
                                          renders perfectly across a two pixel wide horizontal row, it will be quite
                                          dominant. However, if the character renders only over one row and is
                                          aliased across the pixel rows above and below, it will seem somewhat
                                          feeble. Here's a test: take this message and carefully scroll the scrollbar
                                          up or down one pixel. Careful don't sneeze or breath. At some point this
                                          pair of hyphens "--" will seem distorted. This will be more easily
                                          recognized in larger fonts but more dramatic on smaller fonts, magnified.

                                          >There also were differences between different OS'ses: MSIE on MAC would
                                          >show different results than Netscape 4.x, which would be different than
                                          >the discrepancies on Win 9x between the browsers.

                                          Big time! There will even be differences from system to system.
                                          The change of a video card or a monitor makes a difference. I have a
                                          ViewSonic E773 on one video card and a pair of Optiquest Q71s on two other
                                          video cards. All of the video cards are identical. There is a slight
                                          difference between the ViewSonic and the Optiquests but not much between
                                          the two Optiquests. Technologically the ViewSonic and Optiquests are identical.

                                          >For a while I was extremely fascinated by the subject and made lots of
                                          >clip libraries and clipbars with all these strange types (Hebrew,
                                          >Arabic, Greek, symbols), but it was frustrating to see that many systems
                                          >would not support them.
                                          >I even had to remove € (Euro) from some important pages and put
                                          >back EUR there -- Netscape on Mac would show the literal € ...

                                          Welcome to the frustrating world of browsers. You haven't seen the
                                          half of it.

                                          Ron Woodall

                                          ---------------------------------------

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 15, 2002
                                            At 15:42 2002.08.15, Ron Woodall wrote:
                                            > Is this actually correct? When you apply "white space" to in-line
                                            >elements, they inherit the spacing from the parent. Imposing spacing
                                            >changes on in-line elements may produce some very undesirable results.
                                            >Comments?

                                            Yes, because it's legit (and has been all the dame damn' them) to write

                                            .nobr { white-space: nowrap }
                                            blah blah <span class="nobr">Rigby-Smythe</span> blah blah

                                            >I'd wait a bit longer before referencing 2.1. There are still some
                                            >gyrations to go through ( I think.)

                                            It's in the old errata. It has been permitted all the time. The browsers
                                            apply it to in-line content too there is no problem really.
                                            Section 16.6 here:
                                            http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html