[NH] Re: To capitalise or not to...

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 21 12:13 PM
      Hi all,

      Chris wrote:
      >Does it really matter if we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in
      HTML?

      Personally, I don't quote attribute values when it's not mandatory because
      hitting that quote key is too much work and it adds to the file size. I
      follow the basic rule of thumb of all numbers (width=600) or all letters
      (valign=top) OK to not quote. But quote mixed (size="+1",
      bgcolor="#000000").

      This is from the W3C's HTML 4.0 specs
      (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/html40.txt):

      In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
      quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z),
      digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We
      recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
      Attribute names are always case-insensitive. Attribute values are generally
      case-insensitive. The definition of each attribute in the reference manual
      indicates whether its value is case-insensitive.
      Cheers,
      Ray Fitz

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 21 4:22 PM
        06/21/1999 9:02 AM Glenn Dixon wrote
        > one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
        > to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
        > to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

        Besides jumping to thr clip area or using In-Context or F2,
        there's now the HTML-ar Library. To get <b></b> inserted
        into the document, you would type <b followed by a space
        (check the About clip for other keys that work also). If
        you have text that you want surrounded by <b></b>,
        highlight the text and press Escape then <b then Enter.

        Of course, you need to have auto replace turned on for
        things to work as I've described in my mostly lower case
        way:)

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        http://notetab.kay.net

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Rod Davies
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 21 7:54 PM
          I feel Clip libraries are best seen as "samples" or "examples". They are
          offered to the Note Tab community as a way for sharing what has proved
          useful to an individual, (and free of charge too!). Therefore the
          inconsistency.. but when you think about it, consistency is not what clips
          are about really... and the USP of Note Tab is that you can customise it to
          work the way you want, for a trade off in learning curves....

          The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
          personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go... My tip is
          to choose an existing library which is close to what you want, review and
          edit if necessary each clip, and then copy clips you like from other
          libraries into it, again editing as you go, It could take as little as 30
          minutes to an afternoon.... It takes a small investment of time for a
          highly personal and customised solution.

          I am forever grateful to those who upload their clip libraries as I didn't
          have to start from scratch. But it would be almost impossible for someone's
          customised solution to match exactly another person's needs.

          Changing all tags in a clip library to upper or lower case is a 2 minute
          job, I am sure, once you know...

          And I'm pretty sure there is a menu item or clip which does it
          automatically. ..Though I'm not sure where it is (:-)!

          But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
          add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 23 12:05 AM
            Rod Davies wrote:
            [Rod, please don't put a fullqoute after your message]

            > The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
            > personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go...

            JAp. But it's nice if you give the author of the clip a tip what you have
            missed and what you would have prefered. This way, the author can decide
            wether to take this suggestion into the library or not.

            Why should you do so?
            Because the next time a new version of your best liked library comes out,
            you have to do your changes again. And again.

            > But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
            > add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

            Oh, there are clips - but you can't include all cliplibraries which are
            available on the website. :o)
            Nicole

            --
            »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
            enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html