Re: [NH] Sync Two Frame Panes

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hi Ron,

      Thanks Ron! I thought I might have to do that. <g> Is the
      "Coding Notes of the Compendium" free and if so, from where? I
      think you gave me enough that I can do it. I did not find
      anything in Joe Barta's Pro Frames tutorial.

      I was also looking in to trying to figure out how to do a
      specific format of four frames, but could not figure it our from
      the same tutorial. I can do many col's, but not a new col inside
      a row. The frames really look sharp in Mozilla, IE is so-so, and
      the vertical 1px divider in pane 1 below is broke in NetCaptor.
      (I will soon put up the index page and some groups and their
      funnies so you all can see what it is looking like, thanks to
      ya'll!-)

      It is number 3 I'm trying to add from what Lloyd posted (see code
      at end):

      ------------------------------------
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | 1 | 2 | 3 |
      | | | |
      | |---------------------------
      | | |
      | | |
      | | 4 |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      ------------------------------------

      1= target="software" <-- my affiliate software
      2= target="toc" <-- group of ten funnies
      3= target="index" <-- index for all groups of funnies
      4= target="main" <-- each funny

      <frameset cols="25%,75%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc" border="1">
      <frame src="software.htm" name="sw" />
      <frameset rows="42%,58%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc" border="1">
      <frame src="html/group10.htm" name="toc" />
      <frame src="html/f1.htm" name="main" />
      </frameset>
      </frameset>
      <noframes>
      </noframes>

      >This one takes a bit of organizing but it's not difficult. It's
      >covered in the Coding Notes of the Compendium, under frames.
      >Follow through the various topics one at a time just to be sure
      >you understand where I'm coming from when you get to "Multiples."
      >
      >In short, you define a superior frameset that contains two
      >framesets. When you want to replace a pair of frames, you target
      >the superior frameset. When you want to change a reference page,
      >you merely target the individual frame you want to change. This
      >is used extensively in the Compendium.

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
    • Lloyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
        Hi Jody,

        Is this anything like you had in mind?

        <frameset
        <frameset cols="25%,75%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc"
        border="1">
        <frame src="software.htm">
        <frameset rows="42%,58%">
        <frameset cols="75%,25%">
        <frame src="toc.htm">
        <frame src="index.htm">
        </frameset>
        <frame src="main.htm">
        </frameset>
        </frameset>

        </frameset>

        Lloyd
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >It is number 3 I'm trying to add from what Lloyd posted (see code
        >at end):
        >
        >------------------------------------
        >| | | |
        >| | | |
        >| 1 | 2 | 3 |
        >| | | |
        >| |---------------------------
        >| | |
        >| | |
        >| | 4 |
        >| | |
        >| | |
        >| | |
        >| | |
        >| | |
        >------------------------------------
        >
        >1= target="software" <-- my affiliate software
        >2= target="toc" <-- group of ten funnies
        >3= target="index" <-- index for all groups of funnies
        >4= target="main" <-- each funny
        >
        > <frameset cols="25%,75%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc"
        > border="1">
        > <frame src="software.htm" name="sw" />
        > <frameset rows="42%,58%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc"
        > border="1">
        > <frame src="html/group10.htm" name="toc" />
        > <frame src="html/f1.htm" name="main" />
        > </frameset>
        > </frameset>
        > <noframes>
        > </noframes>
        >
        > >This one takes a bit of organizing but it's not difficult. It's
        > >covered in the Coding Notes of the Compendium, under frames.
        > >Follow through the various topics one at a time just to be sure
        > >you understand where I'm coming from when you get to "Multiples."
        > >
        > >In short, you define a superior frameset that contains two
        > >framesets. When you want to replace a pair of frames, you target
        > >the superior frameset. When you want to change a reference page,
        > >you merely target the individual frame you want to change. This
        > >is used extensively in the Compendium.
      • Ron Woodall
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
          Hi Jody:

          At 01:19 PM 8/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Ron,
          >
          >Thanks Ron! I thought I might have to do that. <g> Is the
          >"Coding Notes of the Compendium" free and if so, from where? I
          >think you gave me enough that I can do it. I did not find
          >anything in Joe Barta's Pro Frames tutorial.

          The Compendium is available at www.htmlcompendium.org. Yes, access
          is currently free but subscriptions will apply in the fall to commercial,
          industrial and governmental users.

          The Coding Notes can be found from the main menu (select how you
          want to view the site (downloadable fonts or not) and you'll arrive at the
          main menu and lead pages. In the left frame, select "Notes," then "Coding
          Notes" and finally scroll down the left frame and select "Frames." There
          are 11 pages on frames on the revision 10. The notes start from the super
          simple and then add complexity.

          >I was also looking in to trying to figure out how to do a
          >specific format of four frames, but could not figure it our from
          >the same tutorial. I can do many col's, but not a new col inside
          >a row. The frames really look sharp in Mozilla, IE is so-so, and
          >the vertical 1px divider in pane 1 below is broke in NetCaptor.
          >(I will soon put up the index page and some groups and their
          >funnies so you all can see what it is looking like, thanks to
          >ya'll!-)
          >
          >It is number 3 I'm trying to add from what Lloyd posted (see code
          >at end):
          >
          >------------------------------------
          >| | | |
          >| | | |
          >| 1 | 2 | 3 |
          >| | | |
          >| |---------------------------
          >| | |
          >| | |
          >| | 4 |
          >| | |
          >| | |
          >| | |
          >| | |
          >| | |
          >------------------------------------
          >
          >1= target="software" <-- my affiliate software
          >2= target="toc" <-- group of ten funnies
          >3= target="index" <-- index for all groups of funnies
          >4= target="main" <-- each funny

          Ok, it looks like you'll want to define two columns. In the right
          column define two rows and in the top row, define two more columns.
          Remember to name each one since this will be your "target=" names.

          To change 2 and 3, select the top row frameset name. To change 2,
          3 and 4, change the right column.
          | 1 | 2 |
          | | |
          | | |
          | | |
          | | |
          | | |
          | | |

          then:

          | 1 | 3 |
          | | |
          | |--------------|
          | | |
          | | 4 |
          | | |
          | | |

          then:

          | 1 | 5 | 6 |
          | | | |
          | |--------------|
          | | |
          | | 4 |
          | | |
          | | |

          All of the rest becomes self-explanatory: to change 5 and 6,
          change 3. To change 3 and 4, change 2 and so on.

          Hope this helps.

          Ron Woodall

          ---------------------------------------
          Ron Woodall
          nor@...

          The Compendium of HTML Elements

          - available at/disponible à:
        • Ron Woodall
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
            Hi All:

            At 10:40 AM 8/8/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >What is the Coding Notes of the Compendium?

            Sorry about that. It was quite arrogant of me to assume that you
            all knew of the Compendium. It is a reference for the HyperText Markup
            Language and is located at: www.htmlcompendium.org.

            It is a relatively complete reference for HTML. I've been adding
            pages by the hundreds of late and revision 11 will be much more up to date
            (due out in the fall.)

            The Compendium is divided into lists and notes. The lists,
            document all of the HTML tags, attributes and arguments as at that revision
            date. On the lists are links to Compatibility Charts (those Browser vendors
            that _document_ support for that element), Behaviour Reports (due to be
            reinstated with revision 12), graphic examples that link to html pages
            (where you can compare the exact same syntax on your browser and compare it
            to what I got,) and links to other pages or sites for more information. In
            addition, the lists link to notes that describe the use of specific
            elements that may be common across all of the html tags or more detail on a
            given subject. There are lists as well for pre-MathML math tags, CSS
            properties, values, methods and parameters and Server Side Includes
            properties and arguments.

            The Notes consist of 5 different types of notes: Reference Notes,
            Coding Notes, Detail Notes, Attribute Notes and Argument Notes. Coding
            Notes start with a functional listing of typography topics, add
            HyperText-specific elements and you wind up with listings of elements by
            function. Then, I implement most of these elements in working examples and
            supporting graphics. I also link to additional sources. The Reference Notes
            are those lists of boring stuff that you seldom need but when you do, you
            want it - yesterday;-) Detail Notes are essays on those topics that I feel
            comment should be made on. I'm not always right but I try to encourage
            discussion.

            There are little gems throughout the site. For example, should you
            need some sort of guide for colours, I ask that you take a look at the
            sections on colour blindness as well. This may encourage you to reexamine
            some of your design philosophies.

            All in all, I've tried to present a Web Site Publisher's reference
            with the kinds of stuff that such people need on a daily basis.

            Ron Woodall