Sync Two Frame Panes

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hi All,

      Thanks for your previous help!

      I would like to sync the first HTML file in a group of ten to
      open when I switch to that group. The best way I can explain it
      (which does not work) is to embed the page like below. In
      group10 there are 10 links. When I click on Next 10 in the
      contents (like below) I want group20 to come up in the contents
      like it does, but I want to have f11.htm also open in the "main"
      frame. As it is (without the embedded link - had nothing else to
      try ;) whatever is in the "main" frame stays there like f4.htm.
      After group10 there is a back 10 and next 10, FWIW.

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
        Hi Jody:

        This one takes a bit of organizing but it's not difficult. It's
        covered in the Coding Notes of the Compendium, under frames. Follow through
        the various topics one at a time just to be sure you understand where I'm
        coming from when you get to "Multiples."

        In short, you define a superior frameset that contains two
        framesets. When you want to replace a pair of frames, you target the
        superior frameset. When you want to change a reference page, you merely
        target the individual frame you want to change. This is used extensively in
        the Compendium.

        I hope this is what you're inquiring about and I hope this helps.

        Ron Woodall

        At 02:18 AM 8/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >Thanks for your previous help!
        >
        >I would like to sync the first HTML file in a group of ten to
        >open when I switch to that group. The best way I can explain it
        >(which does not work) is to embed the page like below. In
        >group10 there are 10 links. When I click on Next 10 in the
        >contents (like below) I want group20 to come up in the contents
        >like it does, but I want to have f11.htm also open in the "main"
        >frame. As it is (without the embedded link - had nothing else to
        >try ;) whatever is in the "main" frame stays there like f4.htm.
        >After group10 there is a back 10 and next 10, FWIW.

        > funnies">
        > God</a><br>
        > Surf</a><br>
        >
        >Happy HTML'n!
        >Jody
        >
        >http://www.notetab.net
        >
        >The NoteTab and Html List...
        >mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Bob Garsson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
          What is the Coding Notes of the Compendium?

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
            Hi Ron,

            Thanks Ron! I thought I might have to do that. <g> Is the
            "Coding Notes of the Compendium" free and if so, from where? I
            think you gave me enough that I can do it. I did not find
            anything in Joe Barta's Pro Frames tutorial.

            I was also looking in to trying to figure out how to do a
            specific format of four frames, but could not figure it our from
            the same tutorial. I can do many col's, but not a new col inside
            a row. The frames really look sharp in Mozilla, IE is so-so, and
            the vertical 1px divider in pane 1 below is broke in NetCaptor.
            (I will soon put up the index page and some groups and their
            funnies so you all can see what it is looking like, thanks to
            ya'll!-)

            It is number 3 I'm trying to add from what Lloyd posted (see code
            at end):

            ------------------------------------
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | 1 | 2 | 3 |
            | | | |
            | |---------------------------
            | | |
            | | |
            | | 4 |
            | | |
            | | |
            | | |
            | | |
            | | |
            ------------------------------------

            1= target="software" <-- my affiliate software
            2= target="toc" <-- group of ten funnies
            3= target="index" <-- index for all groups of funnies
            4= target="main" <-- each funny

            <frameset cols="25%,75%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc" border="1">
            <frame src="software.htm" name="sw" />
            <frameset rows="42%,58%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc" border="1">
            <frame src="html/group10.htm" name="toc" />
            <frame src="html/f1.htm" name="main" />
            </frameset>
            </frameset>
            <noframes>
            </noframes>

            >This one takes a bit of organizing but it's not difficult. It's
            >covered in the Coding Notes of the Compendium, under frames.
            >Follow through the various topics one at a time just to be sure
            >you understand where I'm coming from when you get to "Multiples."
            >
            >In short, you define a superior frameset that contains two
            >framesets. When you want to replace a pair of frames, you target
            >the superior frameset. When you want to change a reference page,
            >you merely target the individual frame you want to change. This
            >is used extensively in the Compendium.

            http://www.notetab.net

            The NoteTab and Html List...
          • Lloyd
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
              Hi Jody,

              Is this anything like you had in mind?

              <frameset
              <frameset cols="25%,75%" frameborder="YES" bordercolor="#ffcccc"
              border="1">
              <frame src="software.htm">
              <frameset rows="42%,58%">
              <frameset cols="75%,25%">
              <frame src="toc.htm">
              <frame src="index.htm">
              </frameset>
              <frame src="main.htm">
              </frameset>
              </frameset>

              </frameset>

              Lloyd
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
                Hi Jody:

                At 01:19 PM 8/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Ron,
                >
                >Thanks Ron! I thought I might have to do that. <g> Is the
                >"Coding Notes of the Compendium" free and if so, from where? I
                >think you gave me enough that I can do it. I did not find
                >anything in Joe Barta's Pro Frames tutorial.

                The Compendium is available at www.htmlcompendium.org. Yes, access
                is currently free but subscriptions will apply in the fall to commercial,
                industrial and governmental users.

                The Coding Notes can be found from the main menu (select how you
                want to view the site (downloadable fonts or not) and you'll arrive at the
                main menu and lead pages. In the left frame, select "Notes," then "Coding
                Notes" and finally scroll down the left frame and select "Frames." There
                are 11 pages on frames on the revision 10. The notes start from the super
                simple and then add complexity.

                >I was also looking in to trying to figure out how to do a
                >specific format of four frames, but could not figure it our from
                >the same tutorial. I can do many col's, but not a new col inside
                >a row. The frames really look sharp in Mozilla, IE is so-so, and
                >the vertical 1px divider in pane 1 below is broke in NetCaptor.
                >(I will soon put up the index page and some groups and their
                >funnies so you all can see what it is looking like, thanks to
                >ya'll!-)
                >
                >It is number 3 I'm trying to add from what Lloyd posted (see code
                >at end):
                >
                >------------------------------------
                >| | | |
                >| | | |
                >| 1 | 2 | 3 |
                >| | | |
                >| |---------------------------
                >| | |
                >| | |
                >| | 4 |
                >| | |
                >| | |
                >| | |
                >| | |
                >| | |
                >------------------------------------
                >
                >1= target="software" <-- my affiliate software
                >2= target="toc" <-- group of ten funnies
                >3= target="index" <-- index for all groups of funnies
                >4= target="main" <-- each funny

                Ok, it looks like you'll want to define two columns. In the right
                column define two rows and in the top row, define two more columns.
                Remember to name each one since this will be your "target=" names.

                To change 2 and 3, select the top row frameset name. To change 2,
                3 and 4, change the right column.
                | 1 | 2 |
                | | |
                | | |
                | | |
                | | |
                | | |
                | | |

                then:

                | 1 | 3 |
                | | |
                | |--------------|
                | | |
                | | 4 |
                | | |
                | | |

                then:

                | 1 | 5 | 6 |
                | | | |
                | |--------------|
                | | |
                | | 4 |
                | | |
                | | |

                All of the rest becomes self-explanatory: to change 5 and 6,
                change 3. To change 3 and 4, change 2 and so on.

                Hope this helps.

                Ron Woodall

                ---------------------------------------

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
                  Hi All:

                  At 10:40 AM 8/8/02 -0700, you wrote:
                  >What is the Coding Notes of the Compendium?

                  Sorry about that. It was quite arrogant of me to assume that you
                  all knew of the Compendium. It is a reference for the HyperText Markup
                  Language and is located at: www.htmlcompendium.org.

                  It is a relatively complete reference for HTML. I've been adding
                  pages by the hundreds of late and revision 11 will be much more up to date
                  (due out in the fall.)

                  The Compendium is divided into lists and notes. The lists,
                  document all of the HTML tags, attributes and arguments as at that revision
                  date. On the lists are links to Compatibility Charts (those Browser vendors
                  that _document_ support for that element), Behaviour Reports (due to be
                  reinstated with revision 12), graphic examples that link to html pages
                  (where you can compare the exact same syntax on your browser and compare it
                  to what I got,) and links to other pages or sites for more information. In
                  addition, the lists link to notes that describe the use of specific
                  elements that may be common across all of the html tags or more detail on a
                  given subject. There are lists as well for pre-MathML math tags, CSS
                  properties, values, methods and parameters and Server Side Includes
                  properties and arguments.

                  The Notes consist of 5 different types of notes: Reference Notes,
                  Coding Notes, Detail Notes, Attribute Notes and Argument Notes. Coding
                  Notes start with a functional listing of typography topics, add
                  HyperText-specific elements and you wind up with listings of elements by
                  function. Then, I implement most of these elements in working examples and
                  supporting graphics. I also link to additional sources. The Reference Notes
                  are those lists of boring stuff that you seldom need but when you do, you
                  want it - yesterday;-) Detail Notes are essays on those topics that I feel
                  comment should be made on. I'm not always right but I try to encourage
                  discussion.

                  There are little gems throughout the site. For example, should you
                  need some sort of guide for colours, I ask that you take a look at the
                  sections on colour blindness as well. This may encourage you to reexamine
                  some of your design philosophies.

                  All in all, I've tried to present a Web Site Publisher's reference
                  with the kinds of stuff that such people need on a daily basis.

                  Ron Woodall