Re: [NH] Document Type Declaration

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 3:19 AM
      Hi Jody,

      >So, last we had a go round xhtml was/is the latest and greatest.
      >Before I convert zillions of pages is it going to work well as in
      >the biggies displaying it correctly and you guarantee it will
      >work in my boys Dick Tracy watch, right?

      Huh? ;-) If you question is "will XHTML work in all browsers" the answer is
      yes provided you skip the XML declaration on the first line, include a
      space before the closing slashes in empty tags and the documents are served
      as text/html and have an htm(l) extension. Not that I think you are
      planning anything else.

      >Or should I go with one of those extremely Loose ones? <bg> What is the
      >safe sure fire
      >declaration to use and/or what would be best to use, what do "you"
      >use?

      Both your suggestions are Loose. If you mean you want the old rendering
      mode you can't use XHML since any XHTML DTD will put IE and Netscape 6 in
      Standards Mode. Your HTML 4.01 DTD with a complete URL also triggers
      Standards Mode. If you really, really want Quirks mode your only option is
      to use the HTML Loose DTD _without_ any URL. Or no DTD at all.

      http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html

      Lotta