Document Type Declaration

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi Once Again,

      (I kind of figure its my turn to ask them all. ;)

      So, last we had a go round xhtml was/is the latest and greatest.
      Before I convert zillions of pages is it going to work well as in
      the biggies displaying it correctly and you guarantee it will
      work in my boys Dick Tracy watch, right? I'll setting for a
      Maxwell Smart shoe as far as that goes. Or should I go with one
      of those extremely Loose ones? <bg> What is the safe sure fire
      declaration to use and/or what would be best to use, what do "you"
      use?

      I purposely left out the opening arrows so it would post OK.

      DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

      or

      DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

      or...

      Been up all night and felt like I did a whole lot, but got
      nothing done. ;)

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi Jody,

        >So, last we had a go round xhtml was/is the latest and greatest.
        >Before I convert zillions of pages is it going to work well as in
        >the biggies displaying it correctly and you guarantee it will
        >work in my boys Dick Tracy watch, right?

        Huh? ;-) If you question is "will XHTML work in all browsers" the answer is
        yes provided you skip the XML declaration on the first line, include a
        space before the closing slashes in empty tags and the documents are served
        as text/html and have an htm(l) extension. Not that I think you are
        planning anything else.

        >Or should I go with one of those extremely Loose ones? <bg> What is the
        >safe sure fire
        >declaration to use and/or what would be best to use, what do "you"
        >use?

        Both your suggestions are Loose. If you mean you want the old rendering
        mode you can't use XHML since any XHTML DTD will put IE and Netscape 6 in
        Standards Mode. Your HTML 4.01 DTD with a complete URL also triggers
        Standards Mode. If you really, really want Quirks mode your only option is
        to use the HTML Loose DTD _without_ any URL. Or no DTD at all.

        http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html

        Lotta