RE: [NH] Search Engine Criteria

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi Jody,

      It's been a long time since I've been able to offer some help... so here's
      my two pennyworth!

      If getting over exposure in search engine listings is your worry then you
      should be aware that you can instruct most search engines to ignore parts of
      your site by including an appropriate meta-tag.

      I found various bits of advice on the following pages:

      http://www.google.co.uk/remove.html
      which, when I looked, included details on how to remove a whole site or an
      individual page from Google's listings.

      http://www.google.co.uk/webmasters/3.html
      which includes instructions on how to stop Google crawling part of your
      site. This can be particularly useful if you have a frame-based site and it
      is important that your viewers retain the navigation/menu frame when viewing
      it. You can, for example, instruct Google to index only the home page.

      These two links should be enough to give you some clues about the general
      techniques.

      Others may also find:
      http://www.google.com/services/free.html and
      http://www.google.com/faq_freewebsearch.htm useful. They tell you how to
      set up Google to provide an internal search engine on your own site.

      Greg